TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Received Brake Duct Bezels... NOT GOOD!

Some of you probably heard me barking about this today on other threads as I was trying to determine if this was "normal". As it turns out it looks like it was briefly mentioned earlier this year and I just didn't see that thread. What I DID see what the picture on the Shelby Parts website.. that you can even ZOOM IN on the picture to determine what you're getting. For the record... here is that picture.

P5S3Z-2K004-fslash-5-GT-2.jpg

Some things to note:

1. 5 predrilled holes

2. Black seemingly permanently installed air duct mesh

3. "CS" emblem in center of ducts

4. Seemingly molded plastic design

Well here are a plethora of pics of what I received today. Granted I'm a picky a$$, but this is NOT even close to what I was expecting.

Here is the base "plate". made of some kind of resin or fiber glass that is in what I would call an unfinished state. Dusty with black powder that can be rubbed right off. I think I could rub right through it if I wanted to. Notice that the light duct is only about 1/2" deep on the bottom, aren't the old ones deeper than that to make it back to the light?

1069fb26.jpg

Another angle, doesn't look so bad here.

ef2efe16.jpg

Bottom up, not so bad either here.

6bf5ae64.jpg

All pieces that came in the box.

3aa15ac1.jpg

Cooling duct with mesh pushed in place. Not so bad looking here, but the mesh is just loosely sitting there.

09aaa72e.jpg

Can easily push in... or out the back if you don't have your actual hoses installed yet.

32b1e0ee.jpg

Drivers side all "together". Remember, the mesh is loosely in the air duct tube and the air tube tube is loosely in the face plate. Neither of the 3 are attached to each other in anyway. Thats for YOU to figure out how to take care of (again, no directions were provided).

86d1ec2c.jpg

Notice how the air duct flange goes past the edge of the backplate on the drivers side.

48bc2ec4.jpg

Passenger side, a more reasonable gap to the outside of the place.

840bee43.jpg

You can see the black powder of dust that comes off just by rubbing them a little bit. This can't be a durable material if you can essentially dissolve it with a little finger rubbing.

dd68796e.jpg

I assume one of these "marks" is supposed to be the drill mark, but who knows. Looks like some of them are slight indents and/or sharpie marks. And not all the holes are even marked at all.

2a3c64ba.jpg

Don't look so bad from here, except the uneven outside spacing of the air ducts.

f2fdb389.jpg

This is another one that disturbed me. See that outside light duct? This is nearly a head on side view... look at how unevenly the light duct is cut? On the left it's cut at an angle directly "at you" in the pic, while the right is cut at an angle to the outside. This can't look good once you've got light ducts mounted behind them. And I could be wrong but neither of them look deep enough to have the light mounted IN the tube to where these odd angles wouldn't matter.

5c6067cd.jpg

Close up of the material. With that rounded, thicker in some areas than others, backing area, I can't imagine it will be easy to cut an accurate mounting hole.

b448d98c.jpg

Thats it. I guess for $150 I expected something better than this. Well, I EXPECTED to get what the rest of you have and what was pictured on the website?! Is this some crazy interim backorder fix? Cost cutting measure? This can't have cost $5 to make. I know there is the Shelby markup, but these looks like Ebay parts... not Shelby parts. </rant>

Thoughts?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My thoughts are those are crap, SA should be ashamed and you should get an immediate refund. If an error was made by SA and they sent you the wrong items, then they obviously need to meet w/ the people involved.

I've seen the ducts for sale by SAI in Las Vegas and they match those in your zoomed photo.

Some of you probably heard me barking about this today on other threads as I was trying to determine if this was "normal". As it turns out it looks like it was briefly mentioned earlier this year and I just didn't see that thread. What I DID see what the picture on the Shelby Parts website.. that you can even ZOOM IN on the picture to determine what you're getting. For the record... here is that picture.

P5S3Z-2K004-fslash-5-GT-2.jpg

Some things to note:

1. 5 predrilled holes

2. Black seemingly permanently installed air duct mesh

3. "CS" emblem in center of ducts

4. Seemingly molded plastic design

Well here are a plethora of pics of what I received today. Granted I'm a picky a$$, but this is NOT even close to what I was expecting.

Here is the base "plate". made of some kind of resin or fiber glass that is in what I would call an unfinished state. Dusty with black powder that can be rubbed right off. I think I could rub right through it if I wanted to. Notice that the light duct is only about 1/2" deep on the bottom, aren't the old ones deeper than that to make it back to the light?

1069fb26.jpg

Another angle, doesn't look so bad here.

ef2efe16.jpg

Bottom up, not so bad either here.

6bf5ae64.jpg

All pieces that came in the box.

3aa15ac1.jpg

Cooling duct with mesh pushed in place. Not so bad looking here, but the mesh is just loosely sitting there.

09aaa72e.jpg

Can easily push in... or out the back if you don't have your actual hoses installed yet.

32b1e0ee.jpg

Drivers side all "together". Remember, the mesh is loosely in the air duct tube and the air tube tube is loosely in the face plate. Neither of the 3 are attached to each other in anyway. Thats for YOU to figure out how to take care of (again, no directions were provided).

86d1ec2c.jpg

Notice how the air duct flange goes past the edge of the backplate on the drivers side.

48bc2ec4.jpg

Passenger side, a more reasonable gap to the outside of the place.

840bee43.jpg

You can see the black powder of dust that comes off just by rubbing them a little bit. This can't be a durable material if you can essentially dissolve it with a little finger rubbing.

dd68796e.jpg

I assume one of these "marks" is supposed to be the drill mark, but who knows. Looks like some of them are slight indents and/or sharpie marks. And not all the holes are even marked at all.

2a3c64ba.jpg

Don't look so bad from here, except the uneven outside spacing of the air ducts.

f2fdb389.jpg

This is another one that disturbed me. See that outside light duct? This is nearly a head on side view... look at how unevenly the light duct is cut? On the left it's cut at an angle directly "at you" in the pic, while the right is cut at an angle to the outside. This can't look good once you've got light ducts mounted behind them. And I could be wrong but neither of them look deep enough to have the light mounted IN the tube to where these odd angles wouldn't matter.

5c6067cd.jpg

Close up of the material. With that rounded, thicker in some areas than others, backing area, I can't imagine it will be easy to cut an accurate mounting hole.

b448d98c.jpg

Thats it. I guess for $150 I expected something better than this. Well, I EXPECTED to get what the rest of you have and what was pictured on the website?! Is this some crazy interim backorder fix? Cost cutting measure? This can't have cost $5 to make. I know there is the Shelby markup, but these looks like Ebay parts... not Shelby parts. </rant>

Thoughts?

I understand the dissatisfaction, but I would suggest giving Robert a shot to address your concerns before posting up here (though you perfectly within right to do so). I've received few items from the Shelby Store that were less then what I expected. When I shared photos and my concern with Robert I received a quick response and resolution.

Hopefully this is a one off, Good luck.

Yeah......................those are kinda ruff!

I understand the dissatisfaction, but I would suggest giving Robert a shot to address your concerns before posting up here (though you perfectly within right to do so). I've received few items from the Shelby Store that were less then what I expected. When I shared photos and my concern with Robert I received a quick response and resolution.

Hopefully this is a one off, Good luck.

Understandable. Sorry. I guess I'm a still new to the point where I don't know the Shelby company folks that are on here. All I know are the people I spoke with when I ordered them and when I called yesterday. I was basically told, "thats the way they are now, but our NEW brake duct kit will be AWESOME!" Almost like they admitted they aren't right, but we'll make up for it when the new ones come out. If I get a free kit when the new, "awesome" ones come out then great, but I doubt thats the case. I still have much respect for Shelby parts, accessories and most importantly vehicles, but this is a bit of a blunder and frankly is scares me how something like this can slip through the cracks. I understand they are some challenges right now with getting "quality' supply of their parts. I get that, it happens, but this the 3rd part I've ordered that made me say "huh" and was met with the response, "that must be a Scott Drake part". Again, all due respect, but that excuse only lasts so long doesn't it? I'd have rather been told, sorry we still don't have those in stock, than gotten these. If they'd have told me sorry that was a mistake, we'll replace them with the right ones, you'd have never seen this post. But the fact that these are knowingly being shipped in place of what is pictured on the website and in place of what I've seen on every other SGT with this mod... it's really makes me wonder.

I completely welcome Robert's thought and appreciate input if he has something to add.

Again, sorry to flame, but this just really kinda urks me. :headscratch:

No reason to be sorry, you are all good.

Try reaching Robert directly. He wants to hear this kind of feedback. robertl@shelbyamerican.com

Also, there is a dedicated thread for customer feedback. Just check out the main forum page.

Is Shelby working to different quality standards for different parts ? Robert posted just the other day that they rejected the first shipment of the long awaited 4.6L valve covers because they didn't meet their high standards and now they let stuff like this get accepted. Just another in a series of dissappointments.

Just my 2 ¢

The pictures on the Shelby Store site need to be updated.

That photo is of the original 'CS' logo'ed brake cooling/fog light bezel, which is no longer for sale. You received the new brake cooling bezel kit, but apparently had never seen a photo what the new ones look like. I'd be pissed too if I was expecting to get the originals, as they look infinitely nicer.

I sent mine back too!

Very disappointed with Shelby PP. And you should post these things here on the forum for all to read.

No need to contact anyone before posting. What is needed is for Shelby to either fix the problem at their expense and apologize or get out of the parts biz.

This is what happens when you have items made in China. As this part suspiciously looks.

The powder reminds me of the "bondo-like" coating they put on Chinese vices from Harbor Frieght sratch the paint and watch it turn to powder....

Funny part is most of us would pay the premium for USA made quality stuff. And I have been suggesting this for years. Espercially concerning Shelby Branded wheels...

But its more attractive to make more money from Chinese made stuff at a normal price. Sad but true.

This is what happens when you have items made in China. As this part suspiciously looks.

The powder reminds me of the "bondo-like" coating they put on Chinese vices from Harbor Frieght sratch the paint and watch it turn to powder....

Funny part is most of us would pay the premium for USA made quality stuff. And I have been suggesting this for years. Espercially concerning Shelby Branded wheels...

But its more attractive to make more money from Chinese made stuff at a normal price. Sad but true.

You are exactly right!

The made in China thing is what stopped me from buying Shelby wheels...........

Agreed. While I know Chinese manufacturers CAN make quality parts... this not one of them. Of course, this being a total assumption that there are infact over seas made. But actually now that I think about it, I think they might be made in-house. When I went to order them online, they said (and still do say) that they were out of stock. I called to double check and they said something to the affect that "actually we have some other orders pending too so I'll put in a a production request for 10 to be made up". I'm not sure what they means, but I received them not more than 10 days later. And judging by how "fresh" that powder and resin was, it wouldn't surprise me at all if these were JUST made.

To your point about us paying a premium price... 100% agreed. I WILL pay a premium for a premium quality part. And I think $150 IS a premium price for these simple, basically inserts, that even in their earlier quality version couldn't have cost more than $20 to manufacturer. I've never been one to pay for a name, but I will pay for the quality. And at least to this point, I've ASSOCIATED high quality with the Shelby name. In a number of ways, even in my short time as en owner, I've had to reassess this association. I sure hope instances like this are addressed and righted, because they can QUICKLY and EFFECTIVELY erode a good name and the heritage attached with it. I'm not bailing on Shelby products by any means, but there's a saying that starts something like... fool me once...

07SGT5687

I'm sorry for your dissatisfaction. Please send me an e-mail at jonathane@shelbyamerican.com and I will try to work this out for you.

Jonathan

So are these made in house or China?

If SA would like to go in production in Seattle PM me and I can hook you guys up with a quality marine fiberglass fabrication shop. I had them make me some parts for a boat I used to own. There are several very god shops here in Seattle, we have a huge boat/ship business sector...and I'd be glad to help.

I would also suggest that SA put an American flag icon next to parts made in the USA like Summitt Racing and Jegs do...it would make the SA Parts Catalog more enjoyable for many of us...Cheers!

Good call. If the parts are "Made In The USA", then FLAUNT IT! If they are not... why are they not? :redcard:

Those pieces are hand made here at Shelby American and they were intended for our production floor so they are rough pieces that require some fabrication for perfect fitment. We are working on getting the picture changed to reflect the part we are currently offering.

Jonathan Eck

Those pieces are hand made here at Shelby American and they were intended for our production floor so they are rough pieces that require some fabrication for perfect fitment. We are working on getting the picture changed to reflect the part we are currently offering.

Jonathan Eck

Bada**!!! fabrication is expected on all race type parts...

what was the issue with the powder? wrong resin ratio?

Thanks for letting us know were they were made at...

I ordered a set a while back. It came with the lights also. I was so put out from the quality that I sold them

on this site in the classified section. I lost a little money but that was better than putting that crap on my SGT.

As far as the lights that came with the set, PIAA I believe was the brand, they were about as bright as a

75 watt bulb! Really disappointing!

Kevin

07SGT2591

Archived