Wingrider

http://www.s197.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40647

TSB 10-16-4

5.4L - STEERING SHUDDER/NIBBLE/PULL/DRIFT - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 8/2/2010

Publication Date: August 13, 2010

FORD:

2011 Mustang

ISSUE:

Some 2011 Mustang Shelby GT500 vehicles equipped with a 5.4L engine and built on or before 8/2/2010 may exhibit steering wheel shudder under heavy braking, steering wheel nibble, or a drift/pull condition.

ACTION:

Reprogram the Electric Power Assisted Steering (EPAS) Power Steering Control Module (PSCM) module to the latest calibration using IDS release 67.06 and higher. This new calibration is not included in the VCM 2010.5 DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraft.com.

WARRANTY STATUS:

Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage

IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

http://www.s197.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40647

TSB 10-16-4

5.4L - STEERING SHUDDER/NIBBLE/PULL/DRIFT - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 8/2/2010

Publication Date: August 13, 2010

FORD:

2011 Mustang

ISSUE:

Some 2011 Mustang Shelby GT500 vehicles equipped with a 5.4L engine and built on or before 8/2/2010 may exhibit steering wheel shudder under heavy braking, steering wheel nibble, or a drift/pull condition.

ACTION:

Reprogram the Electric Power Assisted Steering (EPAS) Power Steering Control Module (PSCM) module to the latest calibration using IDS release 67.06 and higher. This new calibration is not included in the VCM 2010.5 DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraft.com.

WARRANTY STATUS:

Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage

IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

Odd, I haven't experienced this at all on mine. Will keep in mind, thanks.

Makes me glad I have the old style. Doing firmware updates to my steering seems a little scary.

Computers run everything else on our cars.....why not the steering (assist)!!! Plus the EPAS drives amazing!!!! I ran mine on our local road course and was amazed at how well it handled and steered.

I don't have any inside information in the least, but putting on my logical engineering hat it seems to me that this re-calibration must involve a reduction of the feedback sensitivity or feedback "gain" that the system transmits back to the steering wheel from small perturbations encountered by the front wheels and suspension.

My car doesn't have the shudder or "nibble" but does have a small drift - mostly to the left but sometimes to the right - it seems quite sensitive to road conditions. For now I'm going to leave well alone - I actually like the sensitivity and the feedback that I get through the steering wheel.

For those that get this done - please post back as to whether you experience any loss of steering sensitivity or "deadband" around the center point.

Ram G.

2011 Kona Blue SVTPP, electronics, stripe delete, daily driver

I am happy I was able to contribute to the forum!

The info I've learned here in the last couple of months has been amazing.

-Wingrider

Thanks for the heads up! I do notice a slight nibble on the steering and thought that it was just a little oversensitive. I'll schedule mine with the first oil change.

I have had this issue but didn't think that much of it. Thought it may be the tires or something. I spoke to our Ford dealer and have an appointment tomorrow. My concern here is they said they will need the car for the day to "diagnose" the issue.

:headscratch: "diagnose" I would think all you would need to do is hook up the computer download the software and call it a day since it is a TSB...could be wrong though

:headscratch: "diagnose" I would think all you would need to do is hook up the computer download the software and call it a day since it is a TSB...could be wrong though

see now that would make sense. I have canceled my appointment until I can speak directly to the service manager. The service person I spoke to wanted to verify tire pressures, and balance the tires before they do anything.

I had mine done Friday. I can't tell a difference while driving but it no longer has the nibble. Be careful as my dealer was about to tear my front end apart stating he had to replace some springs. i tried to explain to him it was a TSB and gave him the number and was finally got on the same page. you have to watch the old know it all service managers!!!!

Thanks for the thread - took delivery of my 2011 w/ SVTPP on Friday, made sure to have them check that this was done!

1zgxgxw.jpg

352m0ih.jpg

(By the way, the 2011 is much more responsive than the 2010 at low-medium revs, is quieter inside, and rides a littl worse - but I couldn't care less about that - the car is wonderful!)

:happy feet:

I don't have any inside information in the least, but putting on my logical engineering hat it seems to me that this re-calibration must involve a reduction of the feedback sensitivity or feedback "gain" that the system transmits back to the steering wheel from small perturbations encountered by the front wheels and suspension.

My car doesn't have the shudder or "nibble" but does have a small drift - mostly to the left but sometimes to the right - it seems quite sensitive to road conditions. For now I'm going to leave well alone - I actually like the sensitivity and the feedback that I get through the steering wheel.

For those that get this done - please post back as to whether you experience any loss of steering sensitivity or "deadband" around the center point.

Ram G.

2011 Kona Blue SVTPP, electronics, stripe delete, daily driver

I have the same "drift" problem. I thought it was the road conditions but maybe not. Will get it checked when we get back home in a couple of weeks. I always thought Colorado's roads were rough but this trip back east has change my mind completely. I have never driven such FU roads in my life. I don't know how these SVTPP low profile tires have held together (knock on wood club.gif we only have 3000 miles to go yet) but they must be tuff!!!!

• 1 month later...

Thank you for this post. Ran my 2011 gt500 svt at Sebring today and twice or three time a lap while turning left with brake the wheel went pretty crazy. I had noticed it in the rain when I first got the car and while braking and turning in a local spot clear of people. I thought it was a bad rotar and was thinking about aftermarkets, this post sure changed my mind. I give the car credit for the feed back it gave me today running with Z06's and gt3's(with no shake I felt like Mario) it was just that darn shake that had me and another driver wondering what was up. I am having the fix done next week and running again on Nov 6th at the track. I hope the great feel and feedback that had no shake in most of the corners is still there after this fix. I wonder about this new steering and how it is going to hold up under track conditions. I will rag her hard and let you all know what she does. Tires were WOW after a good warm up. Throw these cars as hard as you want with the new goodyear supercar treads. No one at the track today had anything negative to say about my car and that is rare. For a live rear, this car could be the best ever produced, that is if they get the steering fixed.

I experienced a drift a couple weeks ago but shook it off as a crappy road. Two days ago though, I had to slam on my brake cause of an old person pulling out of a plaza (good ole oldfarts in florida). Right as I slam on the brakes the steering wheel just felt like jello, I tried turning the wheel to make sure I could clear the car ahead of me...cause if the wheel just turned to jello how could I be sure the brakes were going to actually stop.

Guess in all my free time Ill get to a dealer an have the flash done now.

Took mine in last week. I drove in to the dealer without an appointment and wasn't there more than 30 minutes. The reprogram diffidently made a difference.

I am going to the same dealer next week. After some spirited mountain driving, the steering wheel was trying to jump out of my hands....not a good feeling.

I was at my dealer and told them about the TSB and they told me its not a recall so we don't automatically do it. I asked if they could and they said the same thing and never did it. Is this normal?

Find another dealer. Even if you talked him into doing the Reprogram, I wouldn't trust him for lying to you. A TSB is not a "recall" by definition however it is something the dealer is to repair free of charge if the vehicle comes in. Read the warranty provisions in the actual TSB here: http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=59453

Archived