TEAM SHELBY FORUM

What happened to the unofficial 2010 and 2011 prod. tot. threads?

Wingrider

I'm not trying to create some sort of conspiracy, but they were here, now they're not that I can find.

Burning Blue Star IV's posts seem to also be missing from his page for them.

External links from another site to them also break.

Were these threads removed for a reason?

-Wingrider

I'm not trying to create some sort of conspiracy, but they were here, now they're not that I can find.

Burning Blue Star IV's posts seem to also be missing from his page for them.

External links from another site to them also break.

Were these threads removed for a reason?

-Wingrider

Some dealer complained, apparently to Ford. Thats all over, couple-three days ago.

Is this not a violation of Freedom of Speech?

Seriously!

If FORD has been making the information available to Blue...then it should be FORD who should cease this flow of information - NOT teamshelby.com from preventing Blue from posting it!

Depressing.. That was a great thread. Hard to see why a dealer would care unless the thread somehow aided and abetted someone in their "where is the Shelby I ordered" battle they had with their dealer.

Lemme see, best I remember...somebody took his info to the dealer who was shocked or at least surprised to see all that info available to the customer and then a little later Blue star posted that it was the end of the road for all that.

Bluestar some time ago posted that he is or was involved in something to do with corporation data or something like that so could be that the dealer or Ford leaned on him to cut it out. Who knows. Too bad though, it was really nice info to get. Bluestar sure did a lot for us in that regard. Over 60,000 info blocks filled out while it lasted....a lot

I want to thank BlueStar for his efforts in keeping that thread going so long. I saved my info too, luckily.

It seems both petty and shortsighted that a manufacturer or dealer would want a guy to stop providing information that increases and maintains enthusiasm for the purchase of a $50,000 Mustang, often times even after the sale. Perhaps a dealer was piling on the rarity thing a little thick and got caught by a BlueStar informed customer. Just speculation, I know.

Thanks again Blue, for a job well done.

Well that is just too bad. :headscratch: I saved my info also luckily. I'm sad to see these go it was nice to see all the info on the production numbers and how each car fit into the order banks.

Blue great job sorry to see all your hard work down the tubes. :salute:

I want to thank BlueStar for his efforts in keeping that thread going so long. I saved my info too, luckily.

It seems both petty and shortsighted that a manufacturer or dealer would want a guy to stop providing information that increases and maintains enthusiasm for the purchase of a $50,000 Mustang, often times even after the sale. Perhaps a dealer was piling on the rarity thing a little thick and got caught by a BlueStar informed customer. Just speculation, I know.

Thanks again Blue, for a job well done.

+1 :salute:

Ford encrypted the information source that Blue was using therefore keeping it secure. I printed the entire thread just in case, figuring this would happen eventually. Ford has done this before with information that was "leaking" out. No surprise, after all, it is Ford's information.

Thanks Blue!

What you were doing kept me visiting this site over and over again! You were the primary reason I signed on for months! Your efforts added a level of excitement - and learning of the data on my car(s) was so cool.

Thanks!

Todd in BC Canada

Ford encrypted the information source that Blue was using therefore keeping it secure. I printed the entire thread just in case, figuring this would happen eventually. Ford has done this before with information that was "leaking" out. No surprise, after all, it is Ford's information.

But this isn't sensitive information. Just telling people how many cars are built and what types. It's not like it's Ford's internal R&D or something.

Trying to access the VIN site now tells you :

Required parameter 'hash' was not provided. This parameter is required and is used to prevent unauthorized scraping of large amounts of data in violation of the terms of use of this website and its services. Please contact Ford directly if you feel you need bulk access to this type of data.

Trying to access the VIN site now tells you :

Required parameter 'hash' was not provided. This parameter is required and is used to prevent unauthorized scraping of large amounts of data in violation of the terms of use of this website and its services. Please contact Ford directly if you feel you need bulk access to this type of data.

That's the money quote right there. From comments he'd made in the two threads, he was running batch jobs of thousands of requests. As nice as the info he was providing was, the VIN/window sticker service is no longer available to the public because it was being abused in order to obtain that data.

That's the money quote right there. From comments he'd made in the two threads, he was running batch jobs of thousands of requests. As nice as the info he was providing was, the VIN/window sticker service is no longer available to the public because it was being abused in order to obtain that data.

I'm sure they were removed more for corporate internal reasons than any real abuse.

Thousands of requests like that to a web server would have a minimal impact on their servers especially if he was running them late at night. . He wasn't running the batches all day long, it would only make sense to run it once and only against the Shelby VINs (last 8 digits).

I was considering building my own program to do just that, I should have asked him if he wanted help optimizing his query. With a little work it would probably have been possible to figure out the algorithm they are using to sequence the last 8 numbers of the VIN for Shelbys.

As a 15 year IT veteran I can tell you what Blue was doing was a squirt of piss to the cluster of servers running that website. ZERO IMPACT.

The threads are gone and the information encrypted because, and only because, dealerships were no longer able to lie to prospective customers about annual production rates.

I am not sure how to feel about all of this because last Monday evening a sales manager from a local dealership followed me to my house (my wife and I had both Shelby's out for a drive and he was curious about the Terlingua). During our conversation he mentioned that there would be fewr than 2000 GT500's produced this year. I explained to him that the current totals were pushing 3300 and Job 2 hadn't even started yet. He was taken back by this, but I assured him the info was accurate and it looked like production might end up well above 6000 if pace kept up as is.

Well 4 days later, the threads are gone............................

The threads are gone and the information encrypted because, and only because, dealerships were no longer able to lie to prospective customers about annual production rates.

I am not sure how to feel about all of this because last Monday evening a sales manager from a local dealership followed me to my house (my wife and I had both Shelby's out for a drive and he was curious about the Terlingua). During our conversation he mentioned that there would be fewr than 2000 GT500's produced this year. I explained to him that the current totals were pushing 3300 and Job 2 hadn't even started yet. He was taken back by this, but I assured him the info was accurate and it looked like production might end up well above 6000 if pace kept up as is.

Doesn't Ford release the official production numbers every year anyways?

Doesn't Shelby Offer their "Certificates" showing the same thing pretty much that Burning was showing us?

I'd love to know the REAL reason the plug was pulled.

During our conversation he mentioned that there would be fewr than 2000 GT500's produced this year. I explained to him that the current totals were pushing 3300 and Job 2 hadn't even started yet. He was taken back by this, but I assured him the info was accurate and it looked like production might end up well above 6000 if pace kept up as is.

Ford has already done a press release saying 5500 units. The sales manager is simply lying.

2011 GT500 production limit

But yeah, the only reason I could see a dealer getting pissed off is that they were caught lying to someone. The sad part of the whole thing is, as others have posted, none of the information is of high value, it was just some fun production trivia that added to the experience of owning a limited production car. I guess maybe if one learned they had the 1st or last 2011 off the line it could add some value to their car. But these days Ford probably gives the special numbers to "friends of Ford", auctions them or stuffs them in a museum.

I will only add this to the discussion, and that is this..

I have spoken to a couple of other moderators about this matter, and can tell you that it appears that the forum must have been killed at the highest level of SA management, because myself and the mods that I spoke to were not aware of the action until this forum was generated. I/we have searched areas that only mods have access to, and can tell you that the forum was either completely vaporized or was placed in an area that even mods can't get into.

On going production totals might be innocuous to us, but it is considered to be a serious "trade secret" to many manufacturers globally. I don't know...maybe low numbers indicate failures/weakness, and high numbers indicate strength, who knows, but many companies don't like that data made public that's for sure.

While BBS information was helpful to members waiting for their cars, it was obviously regarded as a breach of security by FoMoCo. He figured out a way to cull the data from them, and that aparantly pissed them off. :shrug:

Archived