TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Removing strips to paint

Heat gun,.............. heat'em up and they come right off!

I went the easy way Flame thrower and even cooked my burgers at the same time !!! :drool: But was going to do this in the winter, I figured on outlining the stripes with blue painters tape so you have exactly templete of your stripes as work from there. I know I know I'm next FOOSE !!! :hysterical:

I want to paint my silver strips. Tips for reomoving the vinyl ones ?

Do you have an 07 or an 08? If you have an 07 (thin and brittle) chances are, based upon what's been posted here, it will be a long and laborious process as the vinyl breaks into small pieces no matter how much heat etc., you apply. You might be lucky but history shows the opposite. If you have an 08 (thicker and stronger) you may have little trouble removing the stripes as with the proper heat applied, and a good technique, people have reported better level of success.

If you're interested in knowing more I would do a search in this forum for stripes and removal and see what you can come up with.

Good luck!

I have found the best way to remove your stripes is to put your car in direct sunlight for 2-3

Hours on a

80-90 degree day and start by grabbing the leading edge of the stripe were it is wrapped around the body panel and start pulling the stripes n it will come off a section or pieces at a time and a hair dryer will help with some of the more brittle n dried stripes. It took me about

2.5 hrs for removing n that included goof off to get the stripe adhesive off the paint.

Scotty

Unless you have experience removing stripes with a heat gun please leave the heat gun on the shelf. Lots of sunshine and a hairdrier will do the trick just fine with very little risk to the paint. A heat gun can damage your paint so quickly you wont even realize you caused damage until you utter those two words that start with Oh and ends with the letter T.

Use only plastic tools if needed like a plastic putty knife or kithchen spatula. Razor blades are a big No, No.

Any adhesive residue can be cleaned off with a high quality adhesive remover like the stuff 3M makes. Bug & Tar cleaner also will sometimes work but takes more elbow grease. Stay away from using the laquer thinner or acetone that you have sitting around.

One last tip is to ask the paint shop that is going to paint the stripes how much for them to remove the decals. A lot of times its not much more compared to a day of doing it yourself in the driveway.

Steve

One last tip is to ask the paint shop that is going to paint the stripes how much for them to remove the decals. A lot of times its not much more compared to a day of doing it yourself in the driveway.

Steve

+1000!

Great idea! Yes, and get a written quote, not an estimate, FIRST! From experience when my car was redone I had the written and signed quote. When I picked up my car the guy was all complaining that the removal took hours and WAY LONGER than they expected but a quote was solid so that's what i paid! This was a professional auto-graphics house and they were not happy campers! (BTW: this was an original stripe 07) He said they just broke into little pieces no matter what they tried so it was a SLOW SLOW process.

Archived