TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Paint my Silver Strips

I've got the stripes painted on my front fascia and hood so far. The rest is still vinyl.

I'm dropping my car back at the paint shop tomorrow, so I can get the paint code for you then, in case no one has chimed in by then.

I also don't think personally I would be to caught up in trying for some exact match nirvana. There were different stripes used during the program, they have a slight variance in color and shine, so a "real" close match should be good enough for anyone.

Should look real nice!

How can you figure out the stripe paint code? I believe mine are metallic silver.

Blueone gave us the silver paint code. Thanks. I guess the clear coat would also be made by Sherwin Williams ? I will paint the car myself.

I took the meaning of this thread the wrong way, but then a light bulb went off in my head. Has anyone actually tried to paint the vinyl stripes with just some silver paint ? I know it sounds redneck, but it would probably look better than all water spotted, like mine are currently.

Blueone gave us the silver paint code. Thanks. I guess the clear coat would also be made by Sherwin Williams ? I will paint the car myself.

I wasn't sure if the satin silver was the same as the ones I have. Mine have a metallic flake in the stripe and I'm hoping the ones I ordered from BSM (Metallic Silver) match the stock color.

Shane

• 4 weeks later...

I took the meaning of this thread the wrong way, but then a light bulb went off in my head. Has anyone actually tried to paint the vinyl stripes with just some silver paint ? I know it sounds redneck, but it would probably look better than all water spotted, like mine are currently.

I have fixed my stripes with silver paint I scuffed it up and sprayed it cover with clear you can't tell and looks good till my stripes get removed.

• 1 month later...

Go ahead and let us know how it turns out! :)

If I paint my Silver Strips on my Shelby Gt what is the cleat coat used? Code? Thanks.

The stripes on my hood scoop and my hood are painted on and clear coated. The rest of the stripes on my car are the original vinyl. I just asked the body shop to match the existing stripes and they did not have a paint code. The match is perfect and I've never had anybody notice that some are painted and some not. Even if you get a paint code each batch is slightly different and will need to be tinted for a perfect match. Find a good painter and he'll get it done. All Shelby GTs have a mix of painted and vinyl stripes as the scoops are all painted.

Chip

post-12804-060587500 1290057954_thumb.jpg

post-12804-060587500 1290057954_thumb.jpg

The stripes on my hood scoop and my hood are painted on and clear coated. The rest of the stripes on my car are the original vinyl. I just asked the body shop to match the existing stripes and they did not have a paint code. The match is perfect and I've never had anybody notice that some are painted and some not. Even if you get a paint code each batch is slightly different and will need to be tinted for a perfect match. Find a good painter and he'll get it done. All Shelby GTs have a mix of painted and vinyl stripes as the scoops are all painted.

Chip

You have a point there, Chip!

I just got all-new vinyl stripes, but I KNOW painted ones are in my future.... you just made me feel great about the prospect of them looking "right"!

Jer

• 2 weeks later...

I'm painting all the stripes back on also, and I will have more metalic in the silver. I will color sand the stripes to remove the ridges so everything feels and blends better when you move your hand from the stripe to the paint.

So I guess what I'm saying is I don't care about the perfect stock stripe color because it was not anything close to great in the first place.

I just want it to look better, and that won't be to hard to do.

I had my stripes on my hood painted dy the dealership. I gave the guy the paint code I found from here, he threw it out and told me Ford would not paint the hood scoop a non-Ford color. He told me its a basic silver that is painted on the 2005 and up cars. He was right, the stripes are a exact match to the scoop.

I wondered the same thing. Can one just paint over the vinyl without having to pull it off?

I wondered the same thing. Can one just paint over the vinyl without having to pull it off?

the anser is yes you can paint over the vinyl . degrease it real good scuff it with a red scotch brite pad and you a good adhesion promoter wich is a must . then do the painting post-20396-089437800 1290999143_thumb.jpg

the rookie stripes on the SGT are vinly and painted they were white to start . I painted them off the car then clearcoated them and put them on the fender . i scuffed them used bull dog adhesive promter . painted the metalic silver then put the black spots on then candy apple red then cleared all the stripes ,

the following day i put them on the fender's then put the silver pinstripe's on with a airbrush

i plan doing the original vinly stripes the same way after the first of the year . that way there painted but not permanent and if i like them ill pull them off and paint them on the car and clear the whole thing

JIM

post-20396-089437800 1290999143_thumb.jpg

the anser is yes you can paint over the vinyl . degrease it real good scuff it with a red scotch brite pad and you a good adhesion promoter wich is a must . then do the painting post-20396-089437800 1290999143_thumb.jpg

the rookie stripes on the SGT are vinly and painted they were white to start . I painted them off the car then clearcoated them and put them on the fender . i scuffed them used bull dog adhesive promter . painted the metalic silver then put the black spots on then candy apple red then cleared all the stripes ,

the following day i put them on the fender's then put the silver pinstripe's on with a airbrush

i plan doing the original vinly stripes the same way after the first of the year . that way there painted but not permanent and if i like them ill pull them off and paint them on the car and clear the whole thing

JIM

Hi Jim, thanks! That sounds awesome! So I am not wandering out in the woods when I have my (very good) body guy paint over the gold stripes while on the car? My body guy probably knows, but is there a special type of paint (that withstands weather and cracking) that adheres to the vinyl? Seems like this solution saves time and money. The stripes are there and just need repainting :-). Casey

Archived