TEAM SHELBY FORUM

S-H-E-L-B-Y spacing on a KR Hood

ati

Alan,

Is the KR hood on your car now? Did you find the hood pin set up from that wrecked one ?

Hi Rob,

Yes the KR hood is on the car now and no the guy selling the wrecked Shelby wouldn't sell the hood locks.

Hi Rob,

Yes the KR hood is on the car now and no the guy selling the wrecked Shelby wouldn't sell the hood locks.

Hey Alan,

Would this wrecked KR happen to have a good front Splitter for sale?

Tim

Ok, this is going to be hard to explain but i'll give it my best. The letters are on a slight contour, not in a straight line. They follow the contour of the edge of the hood.

The spacing is as such. Most letters have a 3" space between the leading edge, and following edge of each letter. Starting with the letters:

S----H They have a 3" space between them

H----E again, a 3" space

E----L They have a 3 3/16" space

L----B They have a 3" space

B---Y They have a 3 3/16" space

Following the contour of the hood, most letters are 3" from the air inlet vent line.

If you measure from the opposite edge, (starting edge of the hood and measuring up to the bottom of each letter), the spacing of each letter are as such.

S = 2 5/8"

H = 2 3/4"

E = 2 7/8"

L = ...ok, the "L" is the only letter that has a leading edge measurement, and following edge measurement). Start of the L measures 2 7/8 from the hood edge. The end of the L measures 2 3/4". This is due to the letter following the contour of the hood.

B = 2 5/8"

Y = 2 1/2"

Now, the letters are centered by lining up the rib between the air vents to be exactly centered between the letters E and L.

That's how it's set up on my car.

Ok, this is going to be hard to explain but i'll give it my best. The letters are on a slight contour, not in a straight line. They follow the contour of the edge of the hood.

The spacing is as such. Most letters have a 3" space between the leading edge, and following edge of each letter. Starting with the letters:

S----H They have a 3" space between them

H----E again, a 3" space

E----L They have a 3 3/16" space

L----B They have a 3" space

B---Y They have a 3 3/16" space

Following the contour of the hood, most letters are 3" from the air inlet vent line.

If you measure from the opposite edge, (starting edge of the hood and measuring up to the bottom of each letter), the spacing of each letter are as such.

S = 2 5/8"

H = 2 3/4"

E = 2 7/8"

L = ...ok, the "L" is the only letter that has a leading edge measurement, and following edge measurement). Start of the L measures 2 7/8 from the hood edge. The end of the L measures 2 3/4". This is due to the letter following the contour of the hood.

B = 2 5/8"

Y = 2 1/2"

Now, the letters are centered by lining up the rib between the air vents to be exactly centered between the letters E and L.

That's how it's set up on my car.

This info is perfect, You did a great job of explaining.

Thanks

Would you be so kind to post up pic's after your project / Mod is complete. I would love to see you work.

Rob, I will post pics soon.

I laid out the letters on the hood last night, the info posted by Fia Cobra was right on. I didn't fasten them permanently I used little pieces of blue painters tape underneath the letters to hold them in place. I wanted to look at it for a while to make sure I liked it......... well after 3 hours of looking at it with family and friends I decided that I didn't care for the look so I am not using the letters (at this time), I think it makes the hood look to busy so I am going with the clean plain look. Still waiting on hood pins will post pics soon.

Even though I decided not to add the letters, My Thanks to Fia Cobra for taking the time to post the letter locations.

Rob, I will post pics soon.

I laid out the letters on the hood last night, the info posted by Fia Cobra was right on. I didn't fasten them permanently I used little pieces of blue painters tape underneath the letters to hold them in place. I wanted to look at it for a while to make sure I liked it......... well after 3 hours of looking at it with family and friends I decided that I didn't care for the look so I am not using the letters (at this time), I think it makes the hood look to busy so I am going with the clean plain look. Still waiting on hood pins will post pics soon.

Even though I decided not to add the letters, My Thanks to Fia Cobra for taking the time to post the letter locations.

What I did, was to take a piece of tissue paper, lay it over the KR letters and rub over top of them with the wide side of a crayon. Voila! The perfect template to use on a hood!

Its not my car (so flame away) but why would someone who does not have a KR want to put a KR hood on their car? There are plenty of hoods out there that are very similar to a KR hood and some real nice hoods that are very different and they all cost a LOT less. Even if you find a KR hood on the black market for less than $5,000, it won't add more value to the car than if you added a high quality hood from another aftermarket manufacturer. I know the KR hood is carbon fiber and I've seen some high quality CF hoods for other cars for less than $1k. So, if someone really likes the look of the KR hood, there are cheaper look-a-likes out there. If they want to be able to say that it is a genuine Shelby part on the their Shelby GT or Shelby GT500, they could put the Super Snake hood on it and have a Shelby part and a similar appearence for less money. If they just want to have a new look, then there are some other real sharp hoods out there for much less money that will give the car some nice lines. Cervini makes some nice hoods (as do some others) and has several different looks to choose from. I just don't get why someone would spend an extra $4,000 (unless they have a damaged KR and are looking for a replacement hood). When it comes time to sell the car, having a Shelby KR hood, a Shelby SS hood or a Cervini hood will probably not impact the value much one way or the other (as long as the original hood goes with the GT or GT500). I suppose you could decide to put the original hood back on and then sell the KR hood but who knows what the value of the KR hood would be at that point. By the way, if there is an accident, the insurance on the vehicle will not pay for a new KR hood. Insurance will pay for an original replacement hood which would be a a GT or GT500 hood but not a KR hood. So, if it were me, I would buy an SS hood (so it would be a Shelby part) and use the difference to put some additional goodies on the car, but like I said at the beginning, its not my car so fire up the flame throwers (and burn your own money). Its been said before, if you want a KR, then sell the GT500 and put some money down with it and buy a KR, but don't wast a ton of money making a clone as KR prices have come down (many of us more recent KR owners only paid about the same price as what many GT500 owners paid for their cars). Flame on.

Its not my car (so flame away) but why would someone who does not have a KR want to put a KR hood on their car? There are plenty of hoods out there that are very similar to a KR hood and some real nice hoods that are very different and they all cost a LOT less. Even if you find a KR hood on the black market for less than $5,000, it won't add more value to the car than if you added a high quality hood from another aftermarket manufacturer. I know the KR hood is carbon fiber and I've seen some high quality CF hoods for other cars for less than $1k. So, if someone really likes the look of the KR hood, there are cheaper look-a-likes out there. If they want to be able to say that it is a genuine Shelby part on the their Shelby GT or Shelby GT500, they could put the Super Snake hood on it and have a Shelby part and a similar appearence for less money. If they just want to have a new look, then there are some other real sharp hoods out there for much less money that will give the car some nice lines. Cervini makes some nice hoods (as do some others) and has several different looks to choose from. I just don't get why someone would spend an extra $4,000 (unless they have a damaged KR and are looking for a replacement hood). When it comes time to sell the car, having a Shelby KR hood, a Shelby SS hood or a Cervini hood will probably not impact the value much one way or the other (as long as the original hood goes with the GT or GT500). I suppose you could decide to put the original hood back on and then sell the KR hood but who knows what the value of the KR hood would be at that point. By the way, if there is an accident, the insurance on the vehicle will not pay for a new KR hood. Insurance will pay for an original replacement hood which would be a a GT or GT500 hood but not a KR hood. So, if it were me, I would buy an SS hood (so it would be a Shelby part) and use the difference to put some additional goodies on the car, but like I said at the beginning, its not my car so fire up the flame throwers (and burn your own money). Its been said before, if you want a KR, then sell the GT500 and put some money down with it and buy a KR, but don't wast a ton of money making a clone as KR prices have come down (many of us more recent KR owners only paid about the same price as what many GT500 owners paid for their cars). Flame on.

Hi Paul,

I will try and respond the best I can:

I put a KR hood on my car because its my car and thats what I wanted.

I think the KR is an assume car but not worth what dealers want, All it is is a GT500 with over priced bolt on parts, But It Does Look Cool!

I do not own a KR because they don't make a convertible version.

I paid less for this KR hood than I would have paid for a Cervini or Tru-Fiber hood.

The GT500, GT500KR and the GT500 Super Snake are the worst investments anyone could make, They depreciate faster than anyone anticipated but I bought my car not for an investment but for fun.

I'm not worried about insurance because I have an agreed upon value coverage so I am covered either way.

I had a Super Snake hood, It was a piece of shit and I had to invest many $$ in it to make it worthy of my car, I sold it because it was not the look I wanted.

and last but not least: I truly wish some of you fanatical KR owners would get a life and quit worrying about what us common GT500 owners are doing to our cars.

Hi Paul,

I will try and respond the best I can:

I put a KR hood on my car because its my car and thats what I wanted.

I think the KR is an assume car but not worth what dealers want, All it is is a GT500 with over priced bolt on parts, But It Does Look Cool!

I do not own a KR because they don't make a convertible version.

I paid less for this KR hood than I would have paid for a Cervini or Tru-Fiber hood.

The GT500, GT500KR and the GT500 Super Snake are the worst investments anyone could make, They depreciate faster than anyone anticipated but I bought my car not for an investment but for fun.

I'm not worried about insurance because I have an agreed upon value coverage so I am covered either way.

I had a Super Snake hood, It was a piece of shit and I had to invest many $$ in it to make it worthy of my car, I sold it because it was not the look I wanted.

and last but not least: I truly wish some of you fanatical KR owners would get a life and quit worrying about what us common GT500 owners are doing to our cars.

Excellent responses (I didn't mean to get your blood pressue up), but I think you are way off, though. I know its your car which is how I started and ended my post so what you waste your money on is up to you. Dealers are only getting mid $50s for the KR and you can still buy a new KR today (and have been able to for almost a year) for mid $50s which is a very good deal and much better than spending $45k for a GT500 and then wasting money making it look like something its not (totally my opinion and I'm entitled to it). So, its not much more money than a GT500 and I think the GT500s have depreciated much faster than a KR that was purchased for mid $50s. The agreed upon value of your car will not increase with the addition of the KR hood so you'll need to replace the hood yourself or negotiate a new agreed upon value with your insurer(which will then have a higher premium). I would cut your losses, sell the GT500 and go buy a KR for $50k to $55k which is more fun to drive and will prove to be more fun in the long run (and less expensive). If you've driven a GT500 and KR back to back you would agree that there is no comparison in the overall package (the KR is a much better overall package - oops, my opinion again).

By the way, stick to the topic of your and my opinions on the hood and don't make personal attacks about my life and me worrying about your car. If you didn't want the opinion of a KR owner then don't post on the KR forum. You have your opinion and we have ours, which is fine, but keep your personal attacks to yourself as we KR owners are tired of your shit (and a few others) and will start giving you shit right back (like how you're wasting money).

PS If you paid more than $1,000 for the KR hood then you paid more than what a good hood would have cost elsewhere. So, you probably over paid for your GT500 and for a hood to put on a GT500 and now your pissed at us for pointing out you could have just gotten a KR for about the same money that you've sunk in your GT500. Its not too late to change your mind and get the KR as they're still a few left for real good money. C'mon, go get one. It would save you so much time and agravation too as you'd have all the parts on it already.

Paul,

We could banter back and forth endlessly but whats the point? If I wanted a KR I would have bought one, money wasn't an issue. I wanted a convertible so I bought one. I made my original post asking for help with letter placement and FiaCobra was kind enough to supply the info (Thank You). I thought thats what this site was all about. Unfortunately you decided to go off topic and express your insecurities about being a KR owner. Let me repeat myself I like the KR, I think its an assume car unfortunately some KR owners such as yourself come off as insecure Ass Holes try to convince everyone you have the greatest car and us common GT500 owners are not worthy of any KR parts to mod our cars. You really need to grow up!

This is my last post in this thread so feel free to start bashing the common GT500.

Paul,

We could banter back and forth endlessly but whats the point? If I wanted a KR I would have bought one, money wasn't an issue. I wanted a convertible so I bought one. I made my original post asking for help with letter placement and FiaCobra was kind enough to supply the info (Thank You). I thought thats what this site was all about. Unfortunately you decided to go off topic and express your insecurities about being a KR owner. Let me repeat myself I like the KR, I think its an assume car unfortunately some KR owners such as yourself come off as insecure Ass Holes try to convince everyone you have the greatest car and us common GT500 owners are not worthy of any KR parts to mod our cars. You really need to grow up!

This is my last post in this thread so feel free to start bashing the common GT500.

Haha, now you've actually made me laugh out loud. I never once said anything ab out the GT500 being a common car. I expressed my opinion about thinking the KR at $55k being a better package than the GT500 for $45k and I never said it was the greatest car. I think for the money ($55k vs $45k) its a much better deal and that you would spend (waste) more than $10k making the GT500 look like a KR but it would never be a KR. And here you go again with the personal attacks. You have your opinion and others have theirs but we're all entitled to our own opinion. Nobody is trying to convince anyone of anything but in your disappointment about probably overpaying for a GT500 you've convinced yourself that we're picking on your car. So, please, try to be mature in a civilized debate and refrain from the personal attacks on my character or my motivations and again, if you didn't want the opinion of KR owners then don't post on the KR forum as that is just asking for them. Someone nicely provided the info you wanted and I gave you my opinion so now move on as your name calling and written attacks will not change my opinion and you'll just have to accept it. I think you made a mistake but that is what I think, its my opinion and my opinion is just as good as yours but you don't see me calling you an insecure asshole. Anyway, like I said, you won't make many friends here by insulting the KR or its owners. I'll check back later, but respond if you like, it still won't change my opinion or yours, so we should agree to disagree and not degrade the site with bashing and name calling. Plus, I'm from Jersey and you REALLY don't want to go too much farther with me. just kidding. rant2.gif

Haha, now you've actually made me laugh out loud. I never once said anything ab out the GT500 being a common car. I expressed my opinion about thinking the KR at $55k being a better package than the GT500 for $45k and I never said it was the greatest car. I think for the money ($55k vs $45k) its a much better deal and that you would spend (waste) more than $10k making the GT500 look like a KR but it would never be a KR. And here you go again with the personal attacks. You have your opinion and others have theirs but we're all entitled to our own opinion. Nobody is trying to convince anyone of anything but in your disappointment about probably overpaying for a GT500 you've convinced yourself that we're picking on your car. So, please, try to be mature in a civilized debate and refrain from the personal attacks on my character or my motivations and again, if you didn't want the opinion of KR owners then don't post on the KR forum as that is just asking for them. Someone nicely provided the info you wanted and I gave you my opinion so now move on as your name calling and written attacks will not change my opinion and you'll just have to accept it. I think you made a mistake but that is what I think, its my opinion and my opinion is just as good as yours but you don't see me calling you an insecure asshole. Anyway, like I said, you won't make many friends here by insulting the KR or its owners. I'll check back later, but respond if you like, it still won't change my opinion or yours, so we should agree to disagree and not degrade the site with bashing and name calling. Plus, I'm from Jersey and you REALLY don't want to go too much farther with me. just kidding. rant2.gif

I AM FROM DETROIT YOU WANT TO MESS WITH ME. I CAN TAKE CARE OF YOU AND THE NEW JERSEY TURNPIKE

LIKE IT WAS YESTERDAYS TRASH. SO WHAT'S YOUR POINT ? YOU THINK YOUR TOUGH BECAUSE YOU ARE

FROM JERSEY ? :hysterical:

I THINK YOU JUST DO NOT KNOW WHAT MATURE MEANS AND WHEN YOU DO YOU WILL

REALIZE THAT YOU DO NOT LISTEN WELL AND THAT IF YOU DID YOU WOULD HAVE READ WHAT ALAN HAD

SAID AND THAT WAS HE WANTED A CONVERTIBLE AND FORD DOES NOT MAKE A CONVERTIBLE KR AT THIS

TIME. THAT BEING SAID , HAVE A NICE LIFE. :salute:

SCOTTY

I AM FROM DETROIT YOU WANT TO MESS WITH ME. I CAN TAKE CARE OF YOU AND THE NEW JERSEY TURNPIKE

LIKE IT WAS YESTERDAYS TRASH. SO WHAT'S YOUR POINT ? YOU THINK YOUR TOUGH BECAUSE YOU ARE

FROM JERSEY ? hysterical.gif

I THINK YOU JUST DO NOT KNOW WHAT MATURE MEANS AND WHEN YOU DO YOU WILL

REALIZE THAT YOU DO NOT LISTEN WELL AND THAT IF YOU DID YOU WOULD HAVE READ WHAT ALAN HAD

SAID AND THAT WAS HE WANTED A CONVERTIBLE AND FORD DOES NOT MAKE A CONVERTIBLE KR AT THIS

TIME. THAT BEING SAID , HAVE A NICE LIFE. salute.gif

SCOTTY

Hey Scotty,

You've got a good sense of humor too. Did you not see the "just kidding" I wrote at the end of my sentence about being from Jersey (the internet balls phenomenon is so funny to watch). Anyway, I don't have anything against Detroit as I'm sure there are some friendly folks there. I fully read what he said (I guess his name is Alan as that's how you referred to him) and I also saw that he said that money was not an issue. Having just passed my 47th birthday, I've met many people in my day and only once did I ever say money was no issue and that was when it came to the medical care of a sick family member. Other than that I've met two types of people who earned their own money and made that statement, fools and those who are trying to impress someone. I'm not sure which he is or if he is the exception but thats off the topic and I don't want to get off the subject. If money is really not an issue then what he should have done was to buy a KR (preferably one that was damaged but repairable with a salvage title) and then had one of the reputable coach builders (like droptopcustoms.com) make it into a convertible. They've done some nice work to make new camaros, challengers, etc. from hard tops into convertibles and there are a handful of others who could turn the KR into a real nice convertible. They could probably even use many of the factory convertible parts and he would then have a KR convertible. Mr. Shelby might even sign it and it would be a real unique vehicle and if it was saved from the crusher it would be even better. Thats what I would do if money was not an issue and I wanted a KR convertible instead of what he is doing. So, that is my opinion and neither you nor ati are about to change it or intimidate me with your yelling. So, I hope by your last sentence where you say "HAVE A NICE LIFE" means that you're finished commenting on this topic. And its really not too late for ati to find a new or used KR and have it converted by a top quality shop into a convertible. I say go for it, but thats my opinion and I'm stickin to it.

Paul,

You started this by using statements in your post like "flame Away" and "fire up the flame throwers (and burn your own money)" and " if you want a KR, then sell the GT500 and put some money down with it and buy a KR, but don't wast a ton of money making a clone" and "Flame on".

All Alan was doing was asking for some lay out help on the letters and for some reason you felt you needed to insert yourself in a hostile way. In my opinion that was wrong and I see why Alan responded the way he did.

I'm closing this thread because it has served it's purpose of getting Alan the info he asked for and I don't have the time or energy to play these games.

Archived