TEAM SHELBY FORUM

My New Tag

ASO544

Apparently there are way too many Shelby owners in Florida as all the really cool tags were taken but this is what I settled on.....not too bad. Added a cobra for a little more cool factor!!!

Keep in mind that the Cobra logo and GT500 sticker is technically altering the plate which is enough probable cause for a traffic stop. Parking enforcement has also been known to aggressively enforce this law at times.

Although its usually just a fix it ticket many states now attach a fee to fix it tickets. Here in SoCal these type of tickets have been issued for people just putting a round dot or dash trying to seperate the abbreviated words on their personalized plate.

If Florida is like SoCal the odds of this law being enforced at airports and government buildings is quite high. 9/11 security procedures use every probable cause there is to take a closer look at as many vehicles as they can.

You may never be bothered at all for the stickers. Just giving you an heads up that an altered plate is enough probable cause for a traffic stop.

Steve

PS- Its cool that Florida still stamps their plates. The ones from Nevada and other states that are no longer embossed look so cheesy.

Although its usually just a fix it ticket many states now attach a fee to fix it tickets. Here in SoCal these type of tickets have been issued for people just putting a round dot or dash trying to seperate the abbreviated words on their personalized plate.

Boy, that hasn't been my experience. Quite the contrary.

For instance, I went to one of the last Oakland Roadster Shows when it was still up in Oaktown.

There was a group of So. Cal bikers that all had their bikes (Harleys) looking "old school" or retro. I noticed that they all had the old style Black w/yellow lettering CA plates on them but they had 7 digits (old ones only had 6). I looked closer and could see that what they did was take a new white w/blue CA plate and paint it black/yellow.

I asked them if the law messed with them over the plates and they said no, as long as you don't add anything to it it's still a valid CA DMV plate number (they say "California" in small yellow letters across the top).

You can also get all kinds of different logos from CA DMV now too. A "Heart" between letters/numbers is common (PRP <heart> CJP, for instance. "I <heart> Shelby", blah blah blah (I think that's too many letters but just "for instance").

I also know guys that bought old black/yellow plates to use on their older cars (a bud with a 65 Malibu SS for instance), take them to DMV and DMV will assign them to your car (provided they are "surrendered"). Same with personal plates, you can buy a plate from the owner, have him "surrender" the plate with a DMV form and DMV will assign that plate to your car.

I had the blue/yellow personalized plate "1 BAD TA" on my 1970 Pontiac Trans-Am and until I sold the car or surrenderd the plate, even though I hadn't registered the car in years, the plate was MINE.

I don't know anyone in Cali that's been hassled for adding dashes or any such grammatical symbols to their plates but I know quite a few folks that have added 'em.

Maybe it's just a So Cal thing....

Phill

Apparently there are way too many Shelby owners in Florida as all the really cool tags were taken but this is what I settled on.....not too bad. Added a cobra for a little more cool factor!!!

Where did you get the Cobra and the GT5000 sticker?

I might try that here in CO. If I get a ticket for it, I'll let ya know! lol

Thanks,

Phill

Keep in mind that the Cobra logo and GT500 sticker is technically altering the plate which is enough probable cause for a traffic stop. Parking enforcement has also been known to aggressively enforce this law at times.

If Florida is like SoCal the odds of this law being enforced at airports and government buildings is quite high. 9/11 security procedures use every probable cause there is to take a closer look at as many vehicles as they can.

You may never be bothered at all for the stickers. Just giving you an heads up that an altered plate is enough probable cause for a traffic stop.

Steve

PS- Its cool that Florida still stamps their plates. The ones from Nevada and other states that are no longer embossed look so cheesy.

Yeah, I'm aware of that statute but I have been running around with a small USMC EGA on my tag for 20 years...of course the Shelby may attract more attention than my truck!!! : )

thanks for the warning though...Im sure plenty of people are not aware of that staute.

Thanks!

I didn't know you could get those from Shelby....guess that means I never looked! lol

Phill

94aa74e7.jpg

Very nice, I went with 1BAD500 for my tag, it was between that and BADFAST.