TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Recaro seat option for the 2012 GT500

tispco

This is not true, the GT500 seats since 07 have been exactly the same with the only difference coming in 2010 where they switched the leather covers. Also, the GT500 seats are nothing more than re-padded GT/base model Mustang seats.

He mistook the info in the article about the Recaro seats that will (evidently, from the Boss 302 article) be available for the 2012 model GT500 and Boss 302 as referring to the present seats.

The 2012 500's will have the Boss' Recaro seat option as well as some other nice trim changes/options too. :happy feet:

Son of GT,

Do you know where to find current information on what the 2012 GT500 will offer? I searched the internet and no joy.

Thx,

Jim

Son of GT,

Do you know where to find current information on what the 2012 GT500 will offer? I searched the internet and no joy.

Thx,

Jim

+1 I'm really curious also as I have waited until now to put my order in for a 2011......is the 2012 that much different to make it worth waiting for? I hate being that guy saying that, am pretty locked into a 2011 then hear about the Recaro option!!!

+1 I'm really curious also as I have waited until now to put my order in for a 2011......is the 2012 that much different to make it worth waiting for? I hate being that guy saying that, am pretty locked into a 2011 then hear about the Recaro option!!!

If you can hold off than I would hold off. With the 2012 Boss and the 2012 Camaro Z28 coming the 2012 GT500 has to elevate it's game. The Boss already looks like it could out perform the 2011 GT500 on the track so Ford can't have a car that will be about 10k less out performing the GT500.

So there will improvements coming in 2012.

The next few months should be filled with some exciting news from Ford.

• 3 months later...

As far as I know the 2012 is etched in stone. No major changes except Recaro's and sun visors. Also the Recaro's appear to have 2 holes in the back of the seat for a 4 or 5 part harness but I noticed in the pics that the seat belts are just regular 'ol lap shoulder belts. Can anybody elaborate? Regards, denohew

As far as I know the 2012 is etched in stone. No major changes except Recaro's and sun visors. Also the Recaro's appear to have 2 holes in the back of the seat for a 4 or 5 part harness but I noticed in the picks that the seat belts are just regular 'ol lap shoulder belts. Can anybody elaborate? Regards, denohew

Those are ear slots so you can receive directions from your backseat driver.

As far as I know the 2012 is etched in stone. No major changes except Recaro's and sun visors. Also the Recaro's appear to have 2 holes in the back of the seat for a 4 or 5 part harness but I noticed in the pics that the seat belts are just regular 'ol lap shoulder belts. Can anybody elaborate? Regards, denohew

Only the standard 3 point belts are legal on the street. So from Ford's perspective, the holes are purely an exercise in style. Should you choose to add a 4+ point harness and associated roll bar you are on your as far as legality and safety.

Only the standard 3 point belts are legal on the street. So from Ford's perspective, the holes are purely an exercise in style. Should you choose to add a 4+ point harness and associated roll bar you are on your as far as legality and safety.

Racing harness is illegal on the streets in Cali? So let's be less safe? They are totally legal in Texas. I have had 4 point Schroth belts running thru my '93 fox body convertable Recaro's for 18 years now and have never ever been pulled over or even questioned about them. How can safer be illegal! That makes no sense at all. Is wearing a helmet on the streets ( if I so choose ) illegal also? A firesuit? Seems to me that Ford is going to leave it up to the buyer if they want to install a harness, but illegal, come on! Regards, denohew

http://www.triplewhitefox.com/images/mustang/forSaleDH6.jpg

Also during the Fox body days I used to weld roll cages in the coupes (hard top/ trunk model ) and Recaro's and harnesses. One of those roll cages came in handy one day when a little 'ol lady who could barely see over her Delta 88 steering wheel t-boned me at about 65 mph! The side bar might have saved my life but it totally saved my pelvis/ leg region! I walked away from that one. The impact was so hard that it bent a professionally welded roll cage ( the guy that installed them was a sprint car builder ) over about an inch. ! The cops/paramadics that showed up could not believe that I was uninjured! Hell the lady in the Delta 88 battleship broke both her legs! You can never have enough safety. Regards, denohew

Racing harness is illegal on the streets in Cali? So let's be less safe? They are totally legal in Texas. I have had 4 point Schroth belts running thru my '93 fox body convertable Recaro's for 18 years now and have never ever been pulled over or even questioned about them. How can safer be illegal! That makes no sense at all. Is wearing a helmet on the streets ( if I so choose ) illegal also? A firesuit? Seems to me that Ford is going to leave it up to the buyer if they want to install a harness, but illegal, come on! Regards, denohew

http://www.triplewhitefox.com/images/mustang/forSaleDH6.jpg

PRK (peoples republic of Kalifornia) state law gives the DMV the right to establish seat belt requirements, any that don't meet those requirements are illegal.

http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc27302.htm

I can't find the official requirements the CA DMV has for belts online anywhere, but I haven't looked that hard.... My understanding is that in CA seat belts must be DOT approved and use the stock mounting points. I could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first or last time.

Just because it is illegal doesn't mean a cop is going to pull you over and give you a ticket. I'm also not saying a good 4 or 5 point install is unsafe.

The real problem with many mods is that too many yahoos go cheap. Buy for looks, do a quick install, say sheet metal screws in the floorboard. Then crash.... That causes stupid laws to be written that the rest of have to deal with.

The real problem with many mods is that too many yahoos go cheap. Buy for looks, do a quick install, say sheet metal screws in the floorboard. Then crash.... That causes stupid laws to be written that the rest of have to deal with.

denohew writes - Anybody that uses sheetmetal screws to anchor a harness in an automobile should be splattered all over the dash! No law needed there! I do understand what you are trying to convey,regards, denohew

Probably enough to knock the car into the 36XX range on "E" if that 3751 was accurate for the 2011.

so then theoretically with rear seat delete aluminum driveshaft and some other lightweight items the 3500lb rang would be reachable for a very streetable(not going overboard on the weight reeduction) gt500?

so then theoretically with rear seat delete aluminum driveshaft and some other lightweight items the 3500lb rang would be reachable for a very streetable(not going overboard on the weight reeduction) gt500?

I was thinking the same (esp. with the rear-seat delete), but then wonder how much more of a front end weight problem we would be creating.

I was thinking the same (esp. with the rear-seat delete), but then wonder how much more of a front end weight problem we would be creating.

kmember a arms and headers vs stock manifolds would offset the seat delete i would think. with the power these cars make getting to the high 3400's low 3500lbs would make a seriously bad mf'er

I heard the rear seat's were pretty light and couldn't get much lighter, making them not worth the hassle for the typical driver.

Ford Racing has the BOSS Recaros in the catalog with the cloth material and Ford Racing embroidery.

I wonder what the GT500 ones will look like. I'd love to have a set.

Don't know if any of you have remove the seats in your GT500. I have while installing my light bar and I have to say they probably only weight 20 pounds for all of it. You're not going to save any real weight with a rear delete option.

Don't know if any of you have remove the seats in your GT500. I have while installing my light bar and I have to say they probably only weight 20 pounds for all of it. You're not going to save any real weight with a rear delete option.

I'm sure the GT500 seats are heavier than 20 lbs. I've pulled my '07 GT's passenger seat out and weighed it while it was out. It is a factory heated/power/leather seat and weighs 54 lbs, so the pair of front seats in my car is nearly 110 lbs.

• 1 month later...

I've begun following the seating issue in earnest since developing a fuller appreciation of how beneficial being snugly held in-place can be, particularly with a manual transmission, and how the 2011 seats just don't do that job very well.

It would be very nice if Ford were to eventually offer the seats as a Ford Racing performance part, sold as an assembly or in pairs, rather than having to buy them on a nut-n-bolt basis through the parts counter which would also preserve side airbag and wiring harness functionality. It will be interesting to see whether or not the GT500 Recaro seats will retain any power functions - or if they'll simply use heated seat thinking to do away with them.

Given the cost of bolting-in a set of aftermarket Recaros and the trade-off between OE fitment only blurs the line between the value proposition of building-on to an existing 2011 vehicle or biting the bullet to trade into a 2012, particularly if the 2012 GT500 is equipped with other improvements born of the BOSS 302 like a Torsen differential and so forth. With a proper Ford Racing torsen diff and the cost of installation and what Recaro seating would likely be (particularly if they're leather and trimmed to match), it may not be as big an ask as one might have first thought - particularly if there are other aspects of the vehicle one might prefer to change, and especially before making any significant performance improvements.

• 1 month later...

I heard the rear seat's were pretty light and couldn't get much lighter, making them not worth the hassle for the typical driver.

I think 20 lbs is high. When I took mine out I remember thinking how close a few rolls of toilet paper were to the weight of the rear seat.

They are listed in the Shelby GT section.

I've looked for the link and see nothing. Can you link it up here if it is still there? I'd like to see if it is this guy...

ScreenHunter_01Mar111807.gif?t=1299942723

I'm hearing talk that there may be an issue with these being sold...

The SVT seats are Recaro's, just not racing seats. I know the difference but the SVT seats are Recaro.

One word of warning, if you order the racing seats, you better want to race. I have had the racing seats in a previous Ferrari and they suck for DD. Just my 2.

It seems that the way to improve the seating in the 11 - 12 GT500's is to increasing the side bolstering in the back rest of the seat... Does anyone know if "Aftermarket" Recaro's achieve this

and still maintain a comfortable seat cushioning on the lower half??? I like the comfort of the OEM seat, but can definitely see where there's room for improvement. I certainly wouldn't want

to trade away comfort for stability... There should be a happy medium... My 2 cents...;)

That quote is talking about the 2012 Boss and 2012 GT500 getting the same option. If you were talking about the 2012 and not your 2011 SVT PP car, then it was a misunderstanding.

2010 GT500, 2011 GT500, 2011 SVT PP GT500 == Same seats which are not Recaros.

I concur... :hysterical:

Be careful with the aftermarket seats. The new 2012 recaros have side airbags and seat belt electronics. They aftermarket will have to provide this to stop all the idot lights going off in our cars. I'll have a set in a few weeks and I'll post pics..

If you normally transport a lady in your passenger seat, you might want to ask her to rump-test one of these Racaros before you purchase a car with them. [Presumably dealerships will have some cars with these seats on hand.] Reason being that women's pelvises are wider than men's, and the high/rigid side bolsters on the seat may be quite uncomfortable for them. Alternately you can try a gel seat cushion for her; that may help. The important thing is to consider/test this before you buy, or you may find yourself driving alone or in her car.

I think it was in another thread here that it was also mentioned that these 2012 Recaro seats are manual: The driver's adjusts just forward/backward/height & back-tilt. The passenger's adjusts just forward/backward & back-tilt. So consider this against the 6-way-power regular driver's seat and your option to convert the regular passenger's seat to the same.

In short, consider how often you plan to use the GT500 for hard track cornering vs. long trips [with a passenger].

Archived