TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Nitto NT-01. Can I drive to track?

MichaelP

Hey Everyone-

Just got a set of NT01's.. they say on sticker not for highway use.. Can I drive them to track like 2 hours away or NOT... I know they are a sort-of-special racing compound... Just wondering.. I can trailer the car if needed.. I know not to run them in wet or cold weather...

M.

Hey Everyone-

Just got a set of NT01's.. they say on sticker not for highway use.. Can I drive them to track like 2 hours away or NOT... I know they are a sort-of-special racing compound... Just wondering.. I can trail the car if needed.. I know not to run them in wet or cold weather...

M.

i think Tx STig had a set--PM him

Exactly. I routinely drive my 95 Cobra R to tracks 2.5 hours away on the NT-01s. Other than some additional road noise, it is no problem at all EXCEPT if it rains. If it rains, slow WAY down and you'll be OK. They will hydroplane in a heartbeat on any water on the road. I've gotten caught twice in the rain (it IS South Carolina) and I've slowed down to about 45 on the highway.

In a light rain it's no big deal, but standing water on the road is real danger in these tires if you don't slow down.

Exactly. I routinely drive my 95 Cobra R to tracks 2.5 hours away on the NT-01s. Other than some additional road noise, it is no problem at all EXCEPT if it rains. If it rains, slow WAY down and you'll be OK. They will hydroplane in a heartbeat on any water on the road. I've gotten caught twice in the rain (it IS South Carolina) and I've slowed down to about 45 on the highway.

In a light rain it's no big deal, but standing water on the road is real danger in these tires if you don't slow down.

Ok.. Thanks guys.. I appreciate the real world feedback...that is a big help to me..

M.

Stig had NT05's. I believe.

I would find a buddy to follow you in something that can haul the wheels and tires for you and change over at the track. I usually don't have any trouble finding someone willing to spend a day at the track around fast cars (wives permitting).

You may already know this but I'll mention it anyway. Take a small tool box, specifically something that can help you remove wheels, change brake pads/rotors, brake lines, etc. Pack a jack, coolant (best is to just carry some distiller water as it has multiple uses), window cleaner, serpentine belt, oil, brake fluid, extra lugnuts. Chances are you will never need them or you can make a new friend by borrowing, but it's best to be prepared.

Becareful on the trip home. A day on the track can be exhausting and can make for tricky trip home, particularly if you have a long drive.

Stig had NT05's. I believe.

I would find a buddy to follow you in something that can haul the wheels and tires for you and change over at the track. I usually don't have any trouble finding someone willing to spend a day at the track around fast cars (wives permitting).

You may already know this but I'll mention it anyway. Take a small tool box, specifically something that can help you remove wheels, change brake pads/rotors, brake lines, etc. Pack a jack, coolant (best is to just carry some distiller water as it has multiple uses), window cleaner, serpentine belt, oil, brake fluid, extra lugnuts. Chances are you will never need them or you can make a new friend by borrowing, but it's best to be prepared.

Becareful on the trip home. A day on the track can be exhausting and can make for tricky trip home, particularly if you have a long drive.

That is good advice.. Im good at changing tires and that is about it right now.. I have a trailer that has a winch and I will be able to take extra wheels along. I've always been worried that my car would break down at an event so I had the tow hook installed. I hope I never have to use it.. I need to spend a day with my mechanic so he can show me how to do basic things like brakes and belts. Im always amazed at how much stuff other people bring to events but I know there is a good reason.

Archived