TEAM SHELBY FORUM

trickle chargers

gene64cobra

ok. i finnally broke down and bought 3 trickle chargers. schumacher electric 1.5a maintainer.

i finally got tired of it. i installed them last night and i guess will find out if it was a good investment or not.

just courious if anyone else has any stories about battery maintainers.

I've been using the Schumacher's for a few years now. One is always on the Hertz car and it still has the original battery with no issues now. Before I bought this, I had some of the typical battery drain issues. Sometimes it would be fine after sitting a month, sometimes it would be dead in three days. Since I've had the maintainer on it, I've never had any issues. I rarely drive it now, it's nice to know that the battery is always ready to go. I don't know if anybody has really found the exact cause of the drain on the 05 - 08 Mustangs, but I did read something about the stereos on quite a few threads, so I always am in the habit of making sure that I power down the stereo before I turn the key off. I haven't had problems since I started doing that.

I've been using my Battery Tender every winter since the car was new and I've never had the battery drain down.

Same here, and when I take the car out of storage the first week of March I put it on the garden tractor battery. No problems with either one.

ok. i finnally broke down and bought 3 trickle chargers. schumacher electric 1.5a maintainer.

i finally got tired of it. i installed them last night and i guess will find out if it was a good investment or not.

Gene I am using a CTEK 3300 that I got from the last owner and am very happy with its performance. But I did replace the OEM battery a couple of months ago. I should be good to go for another 5-6 years. During the summer months I rarely plug it in but come winter it will be on all the time.

• 1 month later...

I have had one since purchasing the car........This spring added a short appliance ext cord and just routed and tie wrapped the cord so that it sits just above the front air dam on the pass side. Just a quick "Plug and play" :lurk:

i have had no problems now that i have installed. have let sit for a couple of weeks and go out unplug the charger and away i go. i am thinking why didn't i do this earlier. :hysterical:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Gene I am using a CTEK 3300 that I got from the last owner and am very happy with its performance. But I did replace the OEM battery a couple of months ago. I should be good to go for another 5-6 years. During the summer months I rarely plug it in but come winter it will be on all the time.

I have been using a battery tender for the last couple of years with no issues. It's a great device to have.

I've never had a battery issue, but I do put a "maintainer" on the SGT each winter.

I'm amazed by my garden tractor battery. It's 10 years old and still cranks, and it sits all winter every year w/out a maintainer and still fires up in the spring, no problem...although, having said that, I'm sure it won't do so next spring...

I've never had a battery issue, but I do put a "maintainer" on the SGT each winter.

I'm amazed by my garden tractor battery. It's 10 years old and still cranks, and it sits all winter every year w/out a maintainer and still fires up in the spring, no problem...although, having said that, I'm sure it won't do so next spring...

Battery Tender for 2 winters now.

Hi Gene, I know this is an old thread, but where did you get your chargers ?

Tom

Battery Tender for 3 years now, works well and no more drained battery.

• 4 weeks later...

I had the same problem until a friend with a GT500 clued me in on the stereo issue. If you remember to turn off both the stereo and the Sirius you wont have anymore issues with the battery going dead in just a few days. (Good to remember if your at a car show for the weekend) I also use a battery tender during the winter months when my baby is tucked away out of the snow and salt. Bought it at Walmart for $20. :shift:

Hi Gene, I know this is an old thread, but where did you get your chargers ?

Tom

Tom if you have a NAPA close by they sell a good unit for $30 or less. I have two one for my 65 and the other for the tractor battery.

I have used both the Battery Tender and a similar smart charger unit by Peak. My personal preference is the Battery Tender Junior and I hard wire the pigtails to the battery for a quick plug in. Both work great!'

as well have my hard wired in w/ pigtails. love it. don't know how many batteries it cost me lol til i got smart.

Archived