TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Can anyone educate me on Headers?

You'll see 5-15 HP, depending on brand and dyno. They're not big on power gains, but they look nicer than the rusty OEM manifolds and sound a bit better too.

The FRPP or JBA's are both equally nice for fit and finish. The install is difficult, because the space is extremely confined. I highly suggest raising the motor, before attempting to loosen the stock hardware.

Retune is not necessary FYI.

My car has the Whipple 550 HO kit on it. Over the winter I pulled the stock exhaust manifolds off the car, which are quite nice actually. We ported them and then ceramic coated them. At the same time I built production off road pipes for the car that bolt to the stock manifolds and stock X pipe. When I dyno'd the car again I gained 30 whp. Not bad for the changes.

There was a member here, LuLu, who claimed dyno tested 13 hp w/ a tune (I believe). I tried to find his info but was unsuccessful, so I don't know what headers, etc. They were shorties, however, I do remember that.

There was a member here, LuLu, who claimed dyno tested 13 hp w/ a tune (I believe). I tried to find his info but was unsuccessful, so I don't know what headers, etc. They were shorties, however, I do remember that.

He bought the ones from Pypes because they were the least expensive

Okay, so are brands drastically more/less performance enhancing than others? Otherwise I think I'll just go with an FRPP set. I'm looking at a few things that might require retune though, so I might pile em up in the garage ad then call Evoperform/Brenspeed up and get an all inclusive tune package coming. Not too trusting of the local tuning options around here. Unless someone highly recommends one in the Denver area.

Ken is right....a shorty header on the 4.6 3v depending on your combo will give you 5-10 HP....a longtube header such as the Dynatech will give you 25-40 HP. I don;t even install shorties any more.

Alex

Archived