TEAM SHELBY FORUM

problems with the shelby

topgun

I'am starting to get fed up with the shelby. I have read on here that many shelby GT 500 owners have had troubles in their first year of ownership. Now it's my time to whine.I hear a squeaking noise coming from the rear of my shelby sounds like it's coming from the rear wheels. I figure it to be brake problems. I tried starting my car on yesterday and it wouldn't crank. I jump started it and let it run for about 45 min. Drove it a while and parked it. next morning the same thing. I figured it to be the battery. I put the battery on a tester and it was good. Put the battery back in and tried to start the car. Nothing. It started to crank but not!!!! I figure it to be either starter or alternator problems. Taking it to the dealer today. Wish me luck....

I'am starting to get fed up with the shelby. I have read on here that many shelby GT 500 owners have had troubles in their first year of ownership. Now it's my time to whine.I hear a squeaking noise coming from the rear of my shelby sounds like it's coming from the rear wheels. I figure it to be brake problems. I tried starting my car on yesterday and it wouldn't crank. I jump started it and let it run for about 45 min. Drove it a while and parked it. next morning the same thing. I figured it to be the battery. I put the battery on a tester and it was good. Put the battery back in and tried to start the car. Nothing. It started to crank but not!!!! I figure it to be either starter or alternator problems. Taking it to the dealer today. Wish me luck....

Fortunately I've had no battery/alternator issues.

We need more info on the squeak, though. Is the noise present when driving at "in-town" speeds on slightly uneven roads while NOT applying any brakes? If so, does the sound go away when light brake pedal pressure is applied but while still travelling at the same speed? How many miles are on your car? And have the rear pads been replaced before?

There are retainer clips on the caliper brackets that keep a constant pressure against the pads. If these clips are not lubricated properly, the rear brakes will squeak incessantly!

While replacing my rear pads the first time, I made the OC mistake of "cleaning" everything but didn't re-lubricate these parts............. :doh:

I completely drained my battery in about 20 mintues washing my car one day and had the stereo on. A couple months later I changed my battery out (at about 4 1/2 years) to an Optima Red Top (Model 35).

A couple times it would not start in the garage after sitting a week or so; a trickle charge or jump got it going for a few days, then I had tested it one day and it was fine, two days later, it showed bad. Was the first a false positive? Don't know, but haven't had the problem again.

FYI The Optima is much smaller than the OEM.

I completely drained my battery in about 20 mintues washing my car one day and had the stereo on. A couple months later I changed my battery out (at about 4 1/2 years) to an Optima Red Top (Model 35).

A couple times it would not start in the garage after sitting a week or so; a trickle charge or jump got it going for a few days, then I had tested it one day and it was fine, two days later, it showed bad. Was the first a false positive? Don't know, but haven't had the problem again.

FYI The Optima is much smaller than the OEM.

Did you secure the Optima with the stock clamp or the Optima clamp? Is the strap tight or loose around the battery? Thinking about changing to a Yellow Top D35, but concerned about how close the terminals are to the hood.

Is the "squeaking" occurring during a slow (walking) speed turn or other?

Check out this link:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/34907-axel-whine-groan-in-2005-2009-mustangs/

Also, my car will randomly (abeit rarely) not start once I turn the car off (as if the battery was disconnected).

I then open the door, shut the door and it starts right up. I meant to add this problem to my list when I brought my car in the last week of my warranty period but I guess I'll deal with it as procrastination is a fine art.

We need more info on the squeak, though. Is the noise present when driving at "in-town" speeds on slightly uneven roads while NOT applying any brakes? If so, does the sound go away when light brake pedal pressure is applied but while still travelling at the same speed? How many miles are on your car? And have the rear pads been replaced before?

There are retainer clips on the caliper brackets that keep a constant pressure against the pads. If these clips are not lubricated properly, the rear brakes will squeak incessantly!

While replacing my rear pads the first time, I made the OC mistake of "cleaning" everything but didn't re-lubricate these parts............. :doh:

I just found out I need a new battery and new rotors. $550

I don't think I will use a motorcraft battery again.

Did you secure the Optima with the stock clamp or the Optima clamp? Is the strap tight or loose around the battery? Thinking about changing to a Yellow Top D35, but concerned about how close the terminals are to the hood.

Nothing new used, used the stock pieces and it's tight in place, the strap I believe is loose, which reminds me (since having it put in a few weeks ago) to pop the hood when I get home from flying this weekend and check it out.

If you can wait until Monday, when I get home I'll check it out and snap a couple pics.

The top of the Optima D35's posts are too close to the underside of the hood for my comfort .. perhaps half an inch. I am going to stick with a conventional battery. I tried the D34/78 and the D35 and was not happy with the way they mount and with the clearance to the hood.

• 3 months later...

Sprint 200,

You replaced your rear pads. How did you squeeze the piston closed? Did you buy a tool???? I did my fronts in an hour but I had to put the rears back together as I could not close the piston. Can someone shed some light on this??

Jay...

Sprint 200,

You replaced your rear pads. How did you squeeze the piston closed? Did you buy a tool???? I did my fronts in an hour but I had to put the rears back together as I could not close the piston. Can someone shed some light on this??

Jay...

You need a special tool to screw the piston in with. harbor freight has a tool kit real cheep that works fine about 20.00 428cj

You need a special tool to screw the piston in with. harbor freight has a tool kit real cheep that works fine about 20.00 428cj

Thanks, I got the tool from Checker Auto on a lone and did the rears as fast as the fronts and returned it the next morning. Tools make the mechanic..

Jay...

Archived