TEAM SHELBY FORUM

A 3,000 mile farewell...

TX STIG

Someone in Anchorage, AK, saw my post about thoughts on selling the car due to a pending divorce and sent me a message saying he's serious about buying it if I want to sell. We started talking and I told him I was planning on taking it to Seattle for a meeting and taking my 9 year-old son along to see the Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam, Las Vegas, Death Valley, camp at Lake Tahoe, Red Woods in northern CA, drive the entire 101 through Oregon, and another night of camping on the Pacific Ocean. He said he could fly to Seattle and pick the car up there and that would save him a lot of time driving it back from Texas. So we worked out the details and off we go...

Our first day was 840 miles, with each day getting a little shorter (Thursday - Tuesday). I've ridden nearly 1,100 miles in a single day on a KTM so I'm used to long miles, but needless to say it was tough on Bryce. The car handled well at 150 MPH across NM, extreme heats around Hoover Dam and Death Valley (119 degrees), very heavy rains around the Grand Canyon, STUCK LIKE GLUE through the mountains of CA (to the point that I was reported to 911 by someone that didn't like being passed :hysterical: ), and finished the trip into Seattle without a single issue the whole way. From there the owner drove through the night on his way to Anchorage and reported back that it ran well at 170 MPH on the deserted and perfectly flat 5-mile stretches of roads in Canada.

Needless to say I miss her. She never gave me a single issue and ran like a scalded cat, but it just wasn't meant to be for her to stay around. I'll probably replace her with a 2011 Subaru WRX or STi in the new 4-door guise. These cars were on my short-list prior to taking the plunge on the Shelby and should provide for a good daily driver and a good long distance road-trip car regardless of time of year; and the WRX is about 1/2 the price of the Shelby. My son really enjoyed the camping and these cars will provide enough room for gear between the trunk, backseat, and a roof carrier, and still be suitable for dirt roads when required. For those of you that have ridden dual-sport bikes, this is basically the cage version.

Along the way we took a lot of pictures, most of which y'all would get bored with, but I'll post a few of my favorite pics here to complete the story. And to all of you that helped me plan this trip in advance - THANK YOU!

Wigwam Motel as seen in the animated movie Cars. Can't remember who made this recommendation, but THANKS!

955079354_TNCfq-XL.jpg

Standing on a corner in Winslow, AZ, and oh what a fine site to see...

955097398_eXKSW-XL.jpg

Taking a leak into the Grand Canyon.

955107018_ynnrJ-XL.jpg

Sitting in a traffic jam at Hoover Dam at 114 degrees.

955136124_PXDhU-XL.jpg

Into Death Valley

955151361_TCsTV-XL.jpg

Bryce's first time to drive the GT500. Needless to say he won't forget Death Valley anytime soon.

955154862_WA9VT-XL.jpg

Taking a breather at the Pacific Ocean.

955464535_GyCec-XL.jpg

Thought this angle looked sorta cool as we were climbing up the rocks from the beach.

955468413_8ZJF4-XL.jpg

Not really as cool as I had imagined.

955471987_Py6sd-XL.jpg

On the 101.

955502412_HDBMq-XL.jpg

And the final goodbye on the curb outside the Arctic Club Doubletree in downtown Seattle. We looked liked a homeless family living out of a Shelby when I emptied the trunk of the car onto the curb. The KTM suitcase would not fit inside the trunk opening when it was packed, so we threw all the dirty underwear, socks, and shirts on the sidewalk and then packed the bag. Besides, I think the KTM suitcase and Victoria Secret's bag goes pretty well together. :hysterical3:

955827882_h2Cyp-XL.jpg

Wow..... nice story, thanks for sharing. Hate to see you go, but I understand, been there too. Its really cool that you and your son got that trip, thats a lifetime of memories for both of you. You left a a lasting impression on him, he will no doubt brag about his summer vacation for years to come. It looks like the two of you have a great relationship and no doubt that will get even better. Good luck to you and check back with us from time to time.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation, but am glad that you found a buyer.

Your story has one problem with it, however. You claim to have been reported to "911" by "someone who didn't like being passed".

Obviously THEY didn't tell you, or we would hear about the confrontation.

So...how do you know you were reported to "911"? I want to hear THAT part of this story :lurk:

TX STIG,

What a great way to say goodbye to your GT500! Your son will remember this road trip for the rest of his life! What a great memory you both will have. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Best of luck,

Mike

I'm sorry to hear about your situation, but am glad that you found a buyer.

Your story has one problem with it, however. You claim to have been reported to "911" by "someone who didn't like being passed".

Obviously THEY didn't tell you, or we would hear about the confrontation.

So...how do you know you were reported to "911"? I want to hear THAT part of this story :lurk:

Shortly before hitting the 101 we were on a twisty 2-lane and some moron in a truck pulled out in front of us from a side street and I slammed on the brakes and honked the horn. He then took off at a pace that was obvious he didn't want me to get in front of him. That didn't last long and I blew by him which I'm guessing he wasn't used to as he seemed to know the road pretty well. A few miles later I pull into a small town and turn on a residential road so I can pull over and add a new waypoint to the GPS. At that time a CHP comes flying up my ass and I pull over. He says someone called 911 about my "erratic driving" and asked if I knew anything about that. I said, "No sir, don't know anything about that." It may have also helped that I gave him my DHS ID, but not sure. There wasn't really much else he could do at that point, so he gave me directions to the Avenue of the Giants.

Shortly before hitting the 101 we were on a twisty 2-lane and some moron in a truck pulled out in front of us from a side street and I slammed on the brakes and honked the horn. He then took off at a pace that was obvious he didn't want me to get in front of him. That didn't last long and I blew by him which I'm guessing he wasn't used to as he seemed to know the road pretty well. A few miles later I pull into a small town and turn on a residential road so I can pull over and add a new waypoint to the GPS. At that time a CHP comes flying up my ass and I pull over. He says someone called 911 about my "erratic driving" and asked if I knew anything about that. I said, "No sir, don't know anything about that." It may have also helped that I gave him my DHS ID, but not sure. There wasn't really much else he could do at that point, so he gave me directions to the Avenue of the Giants.

Good story. Yep, not a lot he can do, otherwise everyone would begin reporting "erratic driving" as soon as someone pissed them off. As long as you weren't DUI, nothing he could say. DHS ID or not. Sure it didn't hurt, though. Good on you!

TX thanks alot for the pics--great idea for a bonding trip for your son.PLEASE hang out with us at the forum,your posts are very helpful.And 150 MPH and stable---did you disable the limiter so the buyer could run 170MPH, knowing you , you did

Gonna miss you Stig, even with our disagreements. Good to see you're not a long-haired hippie!

I'll keep you updated on how the aluminum plasma coated block holds up :P~

Don't hold onto that WRX too long, even though it seems you like most cars more than a Shelby you were meant for one ( =

TX thanks alot for the pics--great idea for a bonding trip for your son.PLEASE hang out with us at the forum,your posts are very helpful.And 150 MPH and stable---did you disable the limiter so the buyer could run 170MPH, knowing you , you did

The performance tunes from VMP disable the top speed limiter.

And while it was stable going straight on a smooth highway, I wouldn't want to change lanes abrutly. My high speed confidence with this car ended with 140. Keep in mind it sits up 1" higher than stock.

Gonna miss you Stig, even with our disagreements. Good to see you're not a long-haired hippie!

Don't hold onto that WRX too long, even though it seems you like most cars more than a Shelby you were meant for one ( =

You're pretty cool, EZ. I was usually only trying to press your buttons. ;)

And I'm sure the plasma will hold up fine. If not you can always buy the new 5.0 in a box for 7 grand. LOL

Not sure I'd agree with you on liking most cars more than a Shelby, but I do like most cars!

BTW, have you ever posted pics of your car? I was never convinced you really had one. :hysterical:

You're pretty cool, EZ. I was usually only trying to press your buttons. ;)

And I'm sure the plasma will hold up fine. If not you can always buy the new 5.0 in a box for 7 grand. LOL

Not sure I'd agree with you on liking most cars more than a Shelby, but I do like most cars!

I'm a regular forum troll I recognize when people are pushing buttons. If you dish it out you have to take it too ( =

I plan on selling my Shelby for a GT(not the Mustang) before my warranty runs out so I'm not worried about the engine :P~

BTW, have you ever posted pics of your car? I was never convinced you really had one. :hysterical:

My Icon (should) be my rear trunk plate with the US Flag in reflected in it. I have a bunch of pics uploaded into my "Gallery". I didn't want to be like that guy who traded his Shelby for a Z and post giant pics in my sig. :P~

Sad to see the car go, but you have a lot more going on of much greater value like being there for your son. He will never forget the trip.

-Wingrider

P.S.- I suggested the Wigwam so it was cool to see you stayed there!

Sad to see the car go, but you have a lot more going on of much greater value like being there for your son. He will never forget the trip.

-Wingrider

P.S.- I suggested the Wigwam so it was cool to see you stayed there!

Thanks again for the suggestion - my son LOVED it!!!

I'll keep an eye out for your car I'm in Eagle River next door to Anchorage havent been able to drive my grabber blue as it has been raining for some time now and I travel constantly hoping for a break in the weather.

I'll keep an eye out for your car I'm in Eagle River next door to Anchorage havent been able to drive my grabber blue as it has been raining for some time now and I travel constantly hoping for a break in the weather.

Be sure to let me know if you spot her dirty and I'll have a word with him! LOL

She probably hates you right now.

Texas to Alaska? Poor thing ....dirty will be the least of her worries!

Ordering a Scooby tomorrow. I may drive it up to Alaska to check on her next summer.

I sure hope the new owner won't mind seeing the back bumper of a 4 cylinder. :hysterical:

Ordering a Scooby tomorrow. I may drive it up to Alaska to check on her next summer.

I sure hope the new owner won't mind seeing the back bumper of a 4 cylinder. :hysterical:

Make sure you get the super-sized spoiler and 8 Inch tail pipe, I hear those will make 'em fast :P~

Archived