TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Ford Locking Gas Cap for 2010-2011 GT500

Cdvision

I was looking for a locking gas cap solution for my 2010 GT500 and 2010 GT convertible and ran across this Ford part # 8U5Z-9C268-B. It fits 2010-2011 Ford cars and trucks with the capless fuel filler. I picked up a couple today from my local Ford dealer and they work awesome. Pricing seems to range from $18-29 in the USA and $30-39 in Canada.

I was looking for a locking gas cap solution for my 2010 GT500 and 2010 GT convertible and ran across this Ford part # 8U5Z-9C268-B. It fits 2010-2011 Ford cars and trucks with the capless fuel filler. I picked up a couple today from my local Ford dealer and they work awesome. Pricing seems to range from $18-29 in the USA and $30-39 in Canada.

Nice find...I'll have to try and pick one up tomorrow. Tired of gas dribbling out when its a full tank!

As i posted ina similar thread, ALWAYS leave the key in the car,or yoll need gas and not have the key--bob

I live in downtown Vancouver and I have to park in an underground parkade. The whole point is to have a locking cap to prevent someone (vandals) from messing with the fuel. It comes with two keys and I put one on each of my 2 key chains. If I left it in my car I'd lose it for sure. lol

I'd have liked Ford to put a release button to open the fuel door, then no need for the locking cap. My dad's old 89 Corolla had one :headscratch:

+1 on that!!

I posted a question in the "questions for dummies" sticky thread looking for a locking gas cap for the same reason as the op... I don't want vandals doing anything to my fuel system...I didn't even realize the door didn't lock until a couple weeks ago. For some reason I decided to check it after locking the door. I had assumed a piston locked the door shut when the passenger doors locked...not the case

My $20000 Mazda has a locking fuel door but my $50000 hipo mustang has nothing to stop someone from tampering with the fuel.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd have liked Ford to put a release button to open the fuel door, then no need for the locking cap. My dad's old 89 Corolla had one :headscratch:

+1

This excellent machine has state of the art electronics but still No locking fuel door and No light the vanity mirrors, :confused: must be a retro 60"s thing, locking cap is a good work around :dogwalk:

+1

This excellent machine has state of the art electronics but still No locking fuel door and No light the vanity mirrors, confused.gif must be a retro 60"s thing, locking cap is a good work around dogwalk.gif

And don't forget no HomeLink either. If ever there was a car to be garaged yet they forgot the HomeLink. headscratch.gif

Is it possible to use the locking gas-cap without locking it?? My car is always garaged.......just don't want the spill.

I can't speak about the 2010 specific gas cap but most locking caps I've seen the key portion in the locked postion makes it so the top portion of the cap just spins. Once you unlock the cap the cam teeth align and you're able to remove the cap. Hopefully this description makes sense, my guess is it might work, but I don't know if this cap is the type that requires the key left in the cap to be removed. I've had both type of locking gas caps in the past

+1

This excellent machine has state of the art electronics but still No locking fuel door and No light the vanity mirrors, :confused: must be a retro 60"s thing, locking cap is a good work around :dogwalk:

Yeah it's very strange, it would just require running a electronic release and a button someone on the dash and center console to open the fuel door. Hell, since they moved the fuel door to the drivers side they could use an old school cable and put the lever on near the door sill kick plate. My parents Toyota back in 89 had a locked/cable operated fuel door and that's a 10-12K car back in the day.

Dribbling fuel is crazy....that should never happen! Means the shutoff valve at the fuel pump you're using probably is malfunctioning and overfilling.

Secondly on the locking cap, just commenting here but have any of you every tried to put something other than fuel into your tank? I've tried with my finger quite a few times to open up the catch to the gas tank and couldn't do it. It's not like other cars where you can just push on it with your finger and open it that I've seen.

If I were a vandal, I wouldn't know what to do if I wanted to dump something down the gas tank and no way you should be parking your car anywhere where someone is trying to do that!....they'll probably key it in frustration afterwards.

Archived