TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Oil Filters: FRPP vs. Motorcraft

duff

I have a 2010 GT500 and I'm looking to do the first oil change. Anyone have info on the FRPP FL-820 oil filter vs. the owner's manual recommended Motorcraft FL-820S? Anyone try both filters? I assume the "S" in the Motorcraft filter denotes an overall shorter filter from comparo pictures I have seen and thus less capacity. Anyone who has tried the FRPP filter have fitment/clearance issues? Any theories on the pros and cons of the greater capacity of the FRPP filter? And I would assume a FRPP part would NOT void the warranty... but you know what happens when you assume something. Any info would be appreciated.

I just switched to the FRPP oil filter on my last oil change (2007 GT500); there are no fitment issues.

There once was a time when the Motorcraft FL820S was the same length as the FRPP filter, then a few years ago the FL-820S was made shorter by about 0.25 inches.

Left: FRPP filter; Right Current Motorcraft filter

IMG_4648.jpg

Left: Old Motorcraft filter; Right Current Motorcraft filter

IMG_3684.jpg

I assume the "S" in the Motorcraft filter denotes an overall shorter filter from comparo pictures I have seen and thus less capacity.

Can't help with the Motorcraft / FRPP question, but I do know that "S" in FL-820S stands for Silicone - in that it has a silicone anti-drainback valve/flap that helps retain oil in the filter and hence helps build pressure quickly on start-up.

My guess is that the silicone flap is a slight impediment to overall flow rate, hence a high flow design might not have it. But since the oil filter hangs vertically from the GT500 engine, I presume that oil drainback is a non-issue with or without the silicone flap in the filter.

Thanks for the info and pics. I think I'll go with the FRPP filter and see how it works for me. Everything I've seen and read depict the FRPP filter as a better quality product. Seems worth the extra money to me.

Archived