TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby GT, Spoiler or No spoiler

I have started this debate once before but found an interesting alternative. 3d carbon makes an adheisive spoiler for the rear trunk lid that looks identical to the gt500 rear spoiler. I was thinking, since I like the look it gives the car to get it, and If I want to, I can always just take it back off. What do you guys think? Dont get me wrong, I love the way it looks without it. It looks classy and a bit more, menacing without it. I just found the adheiseve one so I figured I'd bring it up. Most guys don't want to do the spoiler because they have to "drill". :salute:

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i dont want one on mine but if i were to put one on it would be the V6 one i think it has the best lines. i would say just get another deck lid in youre color and put a bolt on one on i just imagine the stick on one leaving while traveling at a high rate of speed.

I have started this debate once before but found an interesting alternative. 3d carbon makes an adheisive spoiler for the rear trunk lid that looks identical to the gt500 rear spoiler. I was thinking, since I like the look it gives the car to get it, and If I want to, I can always just take it back off. What do you guys think? Dont get me wrong, I love the way it looks without it. It looks classy and a bit more, menacing without it. I just found the adheiseve one so I figured I'd bring it up. Most guys don't want to do the spoiler because they have to "drill". :salute:

No spolier!

I would not risk an adhesive only GT500 spoiler, the instructions call for drilling at least two holes to be on the safe side.

I put the GT500 one on my GT to replace the stupid factory pedestal spoiler.

I say whatever you like and it helps you enjoy your car then do it. I personally will not install one on my SGT, but I have seen a few SGT's with them and they looked good. The owners like them, so they have them. Enjoy it drive it, while you can.

yeah, not having it sets the car apart some... i prefer it off on the sgt's

Agreed. As much as I love our brother GT-500s, I'd just as soon emphasize the differences between us.

That aside, I had a beautiful 2002 Mustang GT prior to buying my SGT. I loved every aspect of that car except for one - my constantly bruised knuckles from washing and waxing beneath that damn trunk wing! I swore never again...

I say whatever you like and it helps you enjoy your car then do it. I personally will not install one on my SGT, but I have seen a few SGT's with them and they looked good. The owners like them, so they have them. Enjoy it drive it, while you can.

Same here. I like my clean rear, but the SGT's I've seen with the 500 spoiler loooked cool, too.

One of the beauties of this car is the ability to modify in a million ways to make it your own...

Dan

Same here. I like my clean rear, but the SGT's I've seen with the 500 spoiler loooked cool, too.

One of the beauties of this car is the ability to modify in a million ways to make it your own...

Dan

v6/kr thats the spoiler i have looks awesome I reckon!!!!!!

The only reason I brought this up again was because I found the gt500 look alike spoiler that required no drilling. (They may say to drill to be on the safe side, but as long as your not doing over 140 that thing wont come off). I personally like my SGT without a spoiler. Everywhere I go, I see mustangs with spoilers, wings, and so on. The Shelby GT's were modeled after the 1965 GT 350, and the GT350 had no spoiler, hence no spoiler on our cars. I added the vented quarter window louvers only because some 65's had the louvers and I personally liked the look. My final 2 cents, No spoiler for me.

I bought a black winged one exaclty like the Shelby GT-H and struggle daily with wanting to put it on. I have had it for over a year in a box in my garage.

I just don't know if I will ever do it, I like them personally....... GG

Each and every one to his own, but the first time I cracked 100 MPH in mine, and I felt the back end swaying to and fro in the wind, I decided it was time to put the spoiler on. I bought an aftermarket GT500 spoiler, required me to drill 2 holes and use the double sided tape to install it. The tape really just seals it between the deck lid and the spoiler. I don't think I would trust a tape only install...But, I have definately enjoyed having mine since I installed it...The rear of the car feels much more solid to me now...

I'm surprised there is any question about the "spoiler" wing having an effect on handling or downforce. Seems to me there is convincing evidence that a wing has to be a foot or more off the rear deck to be in a useful airstream.

A few years back I bought a takeoff GT pedestal-style spoiler/wing for my smooth-decked V6 black convertible. It was the style, but I couldn't bring myself to actually poking holes in that beautiful lid. At about the same time, I saw the 2007 V6 "Pony" low wing on a few cars, and thought, "I reckon that is the only one I'd put on it." Still couldn't make holes in the trunk lid. Later on the black pedestal replaced the white one on the white coupe. A definite improvement, I think, but not a slick trunk lid, which I would prefer.*

Black wing on white car

So, there on eBaY was a seller who provided "lip" spoilers of rubber, "BMW M3-style". Paintable, workable, stick-on rubber strips in several lengths. I took one that was just as wide as the lid itself, plunked it on there according to instructions, and voilà, a non-functional "spoiler" that made a statement: "I know about rear wings, but this is as far as I'm willing to go". Eventually I got enough of the rubber material to make a full-width lip. Very nice, in my opinion.

"Lip" spoiler

When I shopped for the black GT convertible I couldn't find one without a rear wing, so once I had it at home, I found a takeoff V6 wing rather than plug the holes. Very nice, in my opinion, but I'd rather it was a slick trunk lid. I'd put a rubber "lip" spoiler on it if it were.

V6 wing

* Still looking for someone with a white S197 who would like to trade their slick hood for one with a factory scoop. I'd think about swapping for a smooth trunk lid, too, except for the change-the-lock problem.

I vote no spoiler. To my eye, the more things one tacks onto or changes on the car body, the further it gets away from what it was intended to, and should, be. The car just looks so good just like it is. The only thing I would be willing to do is the lower grill since this was at least an option on the original cars.

Well my car came with the pedestal spoiler which I did not like at all. So I already had the holes due to that fact, so I went ahead and did the GT500 spoiler. I got mine from the spoilerstore on Ebay already painted. It was done well and the price was good. Especially since I sold the pedestal unit for $75 and only paid like $169 for the GT500. But I have to say I think that I would have left it clean it none had been there!

The Shelby GT's were modeled after the 1965 GT 350, and the GT350 had no spoiler, hence no spoiler on our cars. I added the vented quarter window louvers only because some 65's had the louvers and I personally liked the look. My final 2 cents, No spoiler for me.

Sorry to get off topic, but I disagree that the SGT's were modeled after the 65 GT350. I would say they have more styling cues from the 66 GT350. Plus our SGT's are the retail version of the Hertz cars, which when they were released was the 40th Anniversary of the GT350-H. See Motor Trend's article when the car was released. http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/112_0704_2007_ford_shelby_gt/index.html My .02.

I'm surprised there is any question about the "spoiler" wing having an effect on handling or downforce. Seems to me there is convincing evidence that a wing has to be a foot or more off the rear deck to be in a useful airstream.

Well, you know, I saw where it was posted that the only spoiler that would do any good at all was the Racer spoiler, all jacked up there a couple of feet or so off of the rear deck, but all I can say is that the first time I hit 120 or so out here in West Texas without any kind of spoiler, my butt was puckering pretty good, because the back end of the car was all over the place.....After I installed the GT500 spoiler, I've comfortably run the car up to 155 and it felt rock solid...so, I guess it boils down to who do you believe? My "butt" feeling says that it's getting a little air on there to make it feel just a bit more secure anyway....maybe not as much as one that is 2 feet off of the deck, but it's getting enough to make me feel better...

During the release of the GT500, Ford commented on the car's aerodynamics.

Stock Mustang with or without pedestal rear spoiler generates 400 lbs of lift at 110 mph.

They claimed that in wind tunnel testing, the GT500's rear spoiler and front splitter reduced lift at 110 mph by 150lbs.

During the release of the GT500, Ford commented on the car's aerodynamics.

Stock Mustang with or without pedestal rear spoiler generates 400 lbs of lift at 110 mph.

They claimed that in wind tunnel testing, the GT500's rear spoiler and front splitter reduced lift at 110 mph by 150lbs.

I think that pretty much sums it up right there. The front splitter works, but the rear spoiler does nothing.

I think that pretty much sums it up right there. The front splitter works, but the rear spoiler does nothing.

They claimed that in wind tunnel testing, the GT500's rear spoiler and front splitter reduced lift at 110 mph by 150lbs. Note they said GT500 rear spoiler and front splitter.

Now Kurgan tell me how you figured out that a "rear GT500 spoiler" does nothing with what was written on that post?

Swede

Spoilers do work on mustangs and when I worked full time at Ford Motor Corporate I worked for 3 yrs @ enviro wind tunnel number 2 and all of the spoilers and chin splitters we tested provided a significant amount of rear wing down-force starting at 55 mph and increasing

exponentially as the mph's increase.

So all nay sayers about the ability of spoilers to provide down-force need to do a little research to find out that they are not an aerodynamics engineer. :hysterical:

Scotty

Archived