TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Looks Like The 2011 GT500 Is Going To Have Some Competition

556 Cheby? Okay, no problem. 2012 GT500? 600 H.P.

With the Auto trans we will see some very good 1/4 mile times out of it. The Shelby is not going to need much more HP to keep up. Remember the GT500 is 3800lbs the Camaro SS is 3860 add a super charged engine and all the supporting hardware and you just made a 4,060lb car is my guess. Now the torque of the big 6.2 will be a big advantage.

An another note if they use the LSA Caddy CTS-V engine they will be limeted in the aftermarket as well due to Cast crank, rods and pistons. If it gets the LS9 ZR1 engine were screwed.

They might be making some progress but still have a long way to go. I test drove a new Camaro SS before buying my Shelby. Too heavy and underpowered. Even with 556 HP it will still be anemic. The Z06 is much more of a competitor to the GT500. IMO or course!! -HAWKBARR

Going through the posts on the Camaro site. Looks like rear wheels are CCW made 11" wide wheels with what looks like wider version of the GY SVT tires. Might be a nice upgrade option if they show up on Tire Rack. Competition is good! When is the next Mustang/Shelby anniversary?

They are all saying it is a 2012 so even a early release is something like March-April next year with Car and Driver is saying fall of 2011. I suspect GM will want to give the CTS-V coupe a little bit of time with that engine alone to rake in some press and some purchases before the cheaper Z28 with the same drivetrain shows up. Gives me a deadline for a power upgrade anyway. Can't go down without a fight :slapfight:

Current SS weighs in at 3860. Mustang GT is 3580. 2011 GT500 is 3751. If going to the larger supercharged engine, larger tires, etc costs Chevy the same as Ford the Z28 will weigh in at 4031 lbs..........

They might be making some progress but still have a long way to go. I test drove a new Camaro SS before buying my Shelby. Too heavy and underpowered. Even with 556 HP it will still be anemic. The Z06 is much more of a competitor to the GT500. IMO or course!! -HAWKBARR

We have a '10 SS and your right, not impressive at all. Big, Heavy, Sluggish by compairison to GT 500. The interior is a disaster. Visibility is short of dangerous, instrumentation layout is just plain goofy and not user friendly at all. My wife had Camaros in her younger years and just had to have one when they came out so we got one. It just sits in the garage now cause it's not nice to drive.

The Camaro will be even more porkier with that bigger engine, so it still won't keep up with the GT500. I said from the beginning that the Camaro will always be at a disadvantage due to the extra 400 lbs., there's no way they'll get away from it.

The big disadvantage that surrounds the Camaro is its chassis. From the v6 to SS and to the new Z28 that is the major flaw. Adding HP and weight is going make the inhearent problems even worse. Im sure chevy will do all they can to make it as good as they can but without making dramatic changes the Mustang chassis is just far superior. Now with that said it will be a great car. Its competition for us! Its great that the modern day muscle car has and is returning regardless of what badge you preffer.

The big disadvantage that surrounds the Camaro is its chassis. From the v6 to SS and to the new Z28 that is the major flaw. Adding HP and weight is going make the inhearent problems even worse. Im sure chevy will do all they can to make it as good as they can but without making dramatic changes the Mustang chassis is just far superior. Now with that said it will be a great car. Its competition for us! Its great that the modern day muscle car has and is returning regardless of what badge you preffer.

I think I read somewhere that GM has a new chassis in store for the Z-28. I believe the article read that this should be in place for the new Z-28. Maybe someone else here can shed some light on this. Either way, the Z-28 will be expensive, over-weight and ergonomically the same as the current cars.

The z/28 Auto is more then likely going to beat the pants off a 2011 GT500 PP in 0-60 and 1/4. Heck a modern day cutting edge auto in the GT500 would shave at least .5 in the 1/4.

The F430 get's to 60 in 3.1 seconds from its 490hp RWD Auto and the 485hp AWD GTR in 3.2 I dont see why an auto GT500 couldnt get there in 3.5. I think Ford might be forced into an auto option for the GT500 after Camaro z/28 is praised and declared KING according to all the mags and testers due to is being quicker in a straight line. I can see the magazine covers right now. :D

The 4 door auto CTS-V runs to 60 in 4.1 and the 1/4 in 12.4@118 the same time's 90% of the guys are getting in the 2011 GT500's 90 % of the time, the z/28 will probably be .2-.4 quicker then the Caddy.

The interior is a disaster. Visibility is short of dangerous, instrumentation layout is just plain goofy and not user friendly at all.

I have to agree about the interior after checking out the forum posts over there and the additional pictures. That is a bizarre interior scheme....looks like the batmobile or something inside. I still think the exterior design is excellent however.

The z/28 Auto is more then likely going to beat the pants off a 2011 GT500 PP in 0-60 and 1/4. Heck a modern day cutting edge auto in the GT500 would shave at least .5 in the 1/4.

The F430 get's to 60 in 3.1 seconds from its 490hp RWD Auto and the 485hp AWD GTR in 3.2 I dont see why an auto GT500 couldnt get there in 3.5. I think Ford might be forced into an auto option for the GT500 after Camaro z/28 is praised and declared KING according to all the mags and testers due to is being quicker in a straight line. I can see the magazine covers right now. biggrin.gif

The 4 door auto CTS-V runs to 60 in 4.1 and the 1/4 in 12.4@118 the same time's 90% of the guys are getting in the 2011 GT500's 90 % of the time, the z/28 will probably be .2-.4 quicker then the Caddy.

one thing the camaro does have going for it is wider wheel wells,, they can put a way bigger tire on it, where were stuck

The F430 get's to 60 in 3.1 seconds from its 490hp RWD Auto and the 485hp AWD GTR in 3.2 I dont see why an auto GT500 couldnt get there in 3.5.

Both those are expensive transmissions that I'm not sure Ford has in the pipeline. A F430 is an automated sequential manual and the GTR is a dual clutch if my memory is working today. They also have launch control to do the throttle feathering for you... Best combo around seems to be the new 911 turbo with 4 wheel drive, dual clutch, 500+ HP, and launch control . This quote from the NY Times review of the convertible 911 turbo is awesome:

"At this strip, convertibles need a roll bar if they’re running quicker than a 14-second quarter-mile. Knowing this, I hit the brakes before the end of the run, in an attempt to sandbag my time. But I still ran a 12.8-second quarter — at 75 m.p.h. That’s crazy. A Dodge Challenger SRT8, with a 425-hp Hemi V8, is a 13-second car. And the Turbo is quicker than that with the brakes on."

NY Times 911 Turbo full review

But all the above are much more expensive toys than a GT500. I don't think Ford will have much trouble if the Camaro is the only target. In the broader market, it will be a challenge for Ford to keep the GT500 at all in the performance game, without going all ZR1 expensive or taking a loss on every one sold, like Nissan is rumored to do with the GTR, as it is going to get harder and harder to keep up using just a big V8 with power adder. Hope the profits keep rolling in and they can do another GT-40.

If Ford would put some bigger tires on these GT500's then the 0-60 and 1/4 mile times would not be a problem. I think 305's should be standard and you would see the times drop. I cannot fiqure out why Ford wants to handicapp its owners with tires that do not match the power at least give us 10 inch rims so we can put some more meat on the ground. The PS2's would be better tire for our cars also.

The F430 get's to 60 in 3.1 seconds from its 490hp RWD Auto and the 485hp AWD GTR in 3.2 I dont see why an auto GT500 couldnt get there in 3.5. I think Ford might be forced into an auto option for the GT500 after Camaro z/28 is praised and declared KING according to all the mags and testers due to is being quicker in a straight line. I can see the magazine covers right now. :D

LOL....you have a point, but in the real world, most Z06 & Camaro owners don't know how to drag race very well. At the 'strip, you need the proper tires for max traction and the proper launching technique. I guarantee you that no Z06 or Z28 will outrun my '11 GT500 in the 1/8 mile or 1/4 mile on the drag strip. Now, top end, that's another story, but I really don't care much for 'top end' racing.

Here's how I put it....................

2012-2014 GT500: 550-600? HP

2012 Camaro Z28: 556HP

2012 Challenger SRT8: 480? HP

The question marks are for unknown future HP readings for the cars in 2012

I know that the new Camaro has some disadvantages, but think of it as saying that the U.S. is attempting to clean up their act on high performence vehicles, and they are out to get the rivaling car companies with their high performence vehicles overseas.

Look like these American cars are out to get some international food for dinner.

post-22637-128027453715_thumb.jpg

post-22637-128027453715_thumb.jpg

Cool find Brian, looks like Chevy is trying to bench mark the Z28 against his biggest market competition. I for one think it's good to have the Camaro back it pushes Ford to do what it has done, up the HP numbers across the Mustang line up 305 V6, 412 5.0 GT, and 550 GT500 looking at those numbers just makes me smile being a Mustang fan since I knew about cars.

Still for my money even with the Camaro perhaps having 556+ HP I'd buy a used C6 ZO6 and be much happier with the styling and "less" hp of 505 stock.

• 3 weeks later...

Cool find Brian, looks like Chevy is trying to bench mark the Z28 against his biggest market competition. I for one think it's good to have the Camaro back it pushes Ford to do what it has done, up the HP numbers across the Mustang line up 305 V6, 412 5.0 GT, and 550 GT500 looking at those numbers just makes me smile being a Mustang fan since I knew about cars.

Still for my money even with the Camaro perhaps having 556+ HP I'd buy a used C6 ZO6 and be much happier with the styling and "less" hp of 505 stock.

While I agree it's good to have the Camaro competing against the Mustang thereby improving both, I'd prefer it if Ford concentrated a little more on mass reduction than HP increases. I don't mind more HP, but mass is a real killer. That's propably another reason why you would be happier in a light 505 HP Corvette instead of a heavy 556 HP Camaro.

You guys are funny......if the CTS-v can match the Gt500 the Z28 being lighter will absolutely beat it.

also the LSa can make easy 650 rwhp the internals can handle it as well as the V's tranny

remeber the auto Z28 making the same Hp will be faster by .2-.5 it will cost around 50-52l.

And it will handle.....and brake.

They won't realese it till they beat the Gm Bought Svt GT500.

i've got my SS s/c i make an easy 530+ rwhp and my cost was 41 k with miods including suspensiona and Brakes

it beats my Gt500. hand down....brake better ....but its twichy in it handling...

the Z28 will be an enginered car......8 psi withh 2300 TVS can make 600 rwhp and 580 rw tq....don't be too surprised.

to a poin the 6.2 responds better to mods......max HP level will be lower ...however.....620 rwhp is nothiing to sneeze at especially if it come in less the a gt500

a pulley tune and headers. and the LSa could mount that number easily

Archived