TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Wheels & Tires 2011-My Solution

theseeker

I am close to pulling the trigger on a new set of wheels and tires. I thought long and hard about widening the SVt Rims, but I cannot do it.

Thanks to Ezkill, I am strongly considering These in gunmetal. 20's all around with 11" in the rear and probably 9.5" in the front.

In the case of the tires of I am leaning towards These

I considered the Steeda Spyder wheels, but I the Forgestar Wheels look almost factory at first glance.

Comments, negative or positive, will be greatly appreciated.

I am close to pulling the trigger on a new set of wheels and tires. I thought long and hard about widening the SVt Rims, but I cannot do it.

Thanks to Ezkill, I am strongly considering These in gunmetal. 20's all around with 11" in the rear and probably 9.5" in the front.

I considered the Steeda Spyder wheels, but I the Forgestar Wheels look almost factory at first glance.

If you are changing wheels for better traction you need to get away from 20's. Get 17 and 18's.

I'm not a big fan of the aftermarket wheel route - the only ones I would ever consider putting on my car are the Alcoa SS wheels or the SVT Package wheels.

That being said - those wheels that you are considering aren't bad, better than most of the choices out there. Hopefully you'd be able to remove that center cap logo with something more appropriate.

The tires I have no idea on..but a treadwear of "100" if I'm reading correctly? You better order two sets! You'll be needing the second set in a month or two! :P

If you are changing wheels for better traction you need to get away from 20's. Get 17 and 18's.

Point taken and agreed with. However, this car will proably see about 1,000 miles a year so its just for fun. I am not the drag strip type, although I do on occassion.

I'm not a big fan of the aftermarket wheel route - the only ones I would ever consider putting on my car are the Alcoa SS wheels or the SVT Package wheels.

That being said - those wheels that you are considering aren't bad, better than most of the choices out there. Hopefully you'd be able to remove that center cap logo with something more appropriate.

The tires I have no idea on..but a treadwear of "100" if I'm reading correctly? You better order two sets! You'll be needing the second set in a month or two! :P

I am not a fan of A/M wheels either, but I hate the thought of "chopping my wheels" if you get my drift? I will not use their center caps, just their wheels.

The tires, yes, they will have a low life expectancy for sure, but since I do not drive it very often........WC's?

I am not a fan of A/M wheels either, but I hate the thought of "chopping my wheels" if you get my drift? I will not use their center caps, just their wheels.

The tires, yes, they will have a low life expectancy for sure, but since I do not drive it very often........WC's?

Oh...for sure....there's no way I'd be a fan of cutting my wheels either. I completely understand that.

I see you are only putting on 1,000 miles a year...so I guess treadwear is not an issue then.

Maybe I'm just really tired but - "WC's"? I don't understand - sorry. :blush:

Oh...for sure....there's no way I'd be a fan of cutting my wheels either. I completely understand that.

I see you are only putting on 1,000 miles a year...so I guess treadwear is not an issue then.

Maybe I'm just really tired but - "WC's"? I don't understand - sorry. :blush:

Treadware is not an issue and WC's=Who Cares

Well if you're not tracking it and only putting 1000 miles on it a year, I don't understand why you'd want different rims + tires. Have you really had that much traction problems and dissatisfaction with the SVT package rims/ Tires? Most of the Mustang/Shelby guys I've spoken with so far absolutely love the rims. The tires are holding traction as good as any tire that isn't a DR or slick can.

Don't forget that wider tires also means you're going to be shooting rocks at your rear quarter panel/bumper like we both are at our front fender. I haven't seen a rim that I like more than the SVT rims with the exception of the absolute pain they are to clean.

My 2 cents.

Seeker,

Whats the goal? If you dont like the stock SVT rims and want to change than more power to you. (I love em BTW) If you are not getting enough traction in the rear tires than you have many options. Wider rims/tires more than likely wont make that much difference. While the stock setup wont take kindly to side-stepping the clutch at 4500 RPM, it will do the job adequately if done correctly. You would be much better off buying another set of the stock SVT rear rims and some drag radials or MT ET DRAGs if you really want to get it! For the fronts I cant imagine you would want to change as the car is very capable of 1.0 g on the skidpad. Now if the stock tires are already shot then I like the TOYO's or the NT555RII is a great tire as well. These tires would work great on the street and make the car handle even better than it does stock but doubt they would last much more than 7000 miles but that does not seem like much of an issue for you. Either way buy the extra rims and drag radials as this is the only way the car will hook if trying to drag race. Its not the rims/tire size thats the problem it is the tire compound and side wall flex.

Dan

:dance:

LOL....I'll be using Mickey Thompson ET drag tires, 28.0 X 10.5 X 15s. My car will see drag strip use! :dance:

The way you're going is probably the same place I'm going to end up going. I really don't want to mess with my factory wheels...so I'll look in the aftermarket.

New blower will coincide with new rubber.

That is what's driving me to this decision. Once I change the pulley, tune and add headers I should have 115+ RWHP. So once that is done, I will know if I need more rubber. I am asuming I will.

Archived