TEAM SHELBY FORUM

"2011 Ford Shelby GT500 in High Demand, Rapidly Approaching Production Limit"

Found these articles today at lunch:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/2011-ford-shelby-gt500-in-high-demand-rapidly-approaching-production-limit-2010-07-15?reflink=MW_news_stmp

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-07-15/ford-s-60-000-shelby-gt500-selling-better-than-expectations.html

2011 Ford Shelby GT500 in High Demand, Rapidly Approaching Production Limit

DEARBORN, Mich., July 15, 2010 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ -- Annual production of the 2011 Ford Shelby GT500 has been limited to 5,500 units to maintain exclusivity of the product

Demand for the new 2011 Ford Shelby GT500 has exceeded expectations with more than 3,300 initial dealer and retail orders received to date

Premium features including the glass roof and the Electronics Package with SYNC, navigation and HD Radio are exceeding expectations as consumers show an appetite for new features and technology

Customer demand for Ford's new 2011 Shelby GT500 is growing nearly as fast as the world's fastest production pony car. More than 3,300 orders have been placed for the new Shelby GT500. To ensure exclusivity, U.S. sales of the 2011 Shelby GT500 will be limited to 5,500 units.

"We are pleased with the pace of retail orders for the 2011 Shelby GT500," said Fritz Wilke, Mustang brand manager. "The car continues to be popular with sports car enthusiasts and collectors who are blown away by the increase in horsepower and performance. The limited production of the 2011 should make this year even more desirable."

The 2011 Shelby GT500 is powered by a new aluminum-block 5.4-liter supercharged V8 engine, which produces 550 horsepower and 510 lb.-ft. of torque, a 10 horsepower increase over the 2010 model. The engine is 102 pounds lighter than its predecessor, delivering a better power-to-weight ratio, improved fuel economy, acceleration, handling and steering precision.

The new engine uses a state-of-the-art Plasma Transferred Wire Arc (PTWA) liner coating, a process that applies a 150-micron composite coating that contains nanoparticles on the internal surfaces of engine cylinder bores, replacing cast-iron liners typically used in aluminum engine blocks. The Intellectual Property Owners Education Foundation honored the inventors of the Ford-patented PTWA technology with the 2009 National Inventor of the Year Award.

Customers are showing an appreciation for the GT500's performance on and off the track, as well as its many features.

Standard 2011 performance features include the 550-horsepower aluminum 5.4-liter V8 engine, a new 2.75-inch exhaust system, revised brake cooling and pedal box construction for more consistent brake pedal efforts and feel, and electric power-assisted steering (EPAS). SVT worked hard to make EPAS better than the outgoing hydraulic steering system, with improved torque build-up and road feel.

New for 2011 is an optional glass roof providing customers with yet another open-air option that does not compromise the coupe's versatility, headroom or climate-controlled environment. Three times more 2011 GT500s have been ordered with the glass roof compared to the base Mustang showing the popularity of this new feature.

Interior options have proven immensely popular, with almost 70 percent of the GT500s ordered with the Electronics Package, which includes voice-activated navigation, SIRIUS Travel Link, HD Radio and dual-zone electronic automatic temperature control.

The new SVT Performance Package is also proving to be a popular option with just over 68 percent of coupe orders selecting the enhanced performance delivered through this all-new option. The package was developed to provide track performance. SVT engineers worked directly with Goodyear to develop all-new Goodyear Eagle® F1 SuperCar G: 2 tires that give this already great handling car supercar grip and control levels. The optional package also offers unique styling, staggered lighter wheels with 19-inch fronts and 20-inch rears, a numerically higher rear axle ratio, stiffer springs and dampers, and a lowered ride height. The SVT Performance Package is available on both the coupe and convertible.

Other standard items new for 2011 include high-intensity discharge headlamps, MyKey programmable vehicle key, integrated spotter mirror and fold-down rear headrests.

About Ford Motor Company

Ford Motor Company /quotes/comstock/13*!f/quotes/nls/f (F 11.66, -0.15, -1.27%) , a global automotive industry leader based in Dearborn, Mich., manufactures or distributes automobiles across six continents. With about 176,000 employees and about 80 plants worldwide, the company's automotive brands include Ford, Lincoln and Mercury, production of which has been announced by the company to be ending in the fourth quarter of 2010, and, until its sale, Volvo. The company provides financial services through Ford Motor Credit Company. For more information regarding Ford's products, please visit www.ford.com.

SOURCE Ford Motor Company

Copyright © 2010 PR Newswire. All rights reserved

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's smart. Limit the product of a car you are actually selling......

With that said I'm sure part of the reason is there are still a lot of older Shelby's on lots.

Here is Autoblogs link...

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/07/15/ford-to-limit-2011-shelby-gt500-production-to-5-500-units/1#c29303431

The 2011 Shelby GT500 is powered by a new aluminum-block 5.4-liter supercharged V8 engine, which produces 550 horsepower and 510 lb.-ft. of torque, a 10 horsepower increase over the 2010 model. The engine is 102 pounds lighter than its predecessor, delivering a better power-to-weight ratio, improved fuel economy, acceleration, handling and steering precision.

If Ford hadn't screwed it up with electric steering you might have been able to FEEL that steering precsion. :banghead:

It looks like the 5500 limit is about what they think they can actually sell and the press release is simply to set expectations with Wall Street, dealers and buyers.

GT500s seem to move off the lots reasonably fast in my neighborhood (SF Bay Area). But www.cars.com is still showing 454 2011's out there ationwide. This compares with 315 Raptors for example and is about the same as available 2011/2010 ZR1's. Still 95 - 2010' GT500s out there and a bunch of 2009 KRs.

Quick google searches do show that there are probably somewhere around 4000 Ford dealerships.

If Ford hadn't screwed it up with electric steering you might have been able to FEEL that steering precsion. :banghead:

I think the precision was achieved by NOT being able to feel it.

I like being able to pull into my driveway and take my hands off the steering wheel and let the car even itself out. It feels like a dream around corners and the feedback on the steering is perfect.

I think the precision was achieved by NOT being able to feel it.

I like being able to pull into my driveway and take my hands off the steering wheel and let the car even itself out. It feels like a dream around corners and the feedback on the steering is perfect.

I know exactly what you mean. I pulled my mother-in-law's Lincoln into our driveway the other day and experienced the same thing.

"New for 2011 is an optional glass roof providing customers with yet another open-air option that does not compromise the coupe's versatility, headroom or climate-controlled environment. Three times more 2011 GT500s have been ordered with the glass roof compared to the base Mustang showing the popularity of this new feature."

?

I have yet to see a GT500 with a glass roof, and I have see quite a few in dealers, I didnt realize it was such a popular option on GT500s.

We have all heard the same $h!+ before! Like the limited production of only 2,000 in 2010! Like the limited 2 year only run of the GT500 from 2007-2008. Frankly folks I am not buying it! They will make as many as consumers demand and aren't stupid enough to walk away from a profit. I can't wait till Fall"due to the high demand Ford is producing anither 4,000 GT500's".

May 2010 - 650 cars

June 2010 - 527 cars

July 2010 - 41 cars

Don't forget the plant changes, only 41 GT500s have been made/scheduled through the 20th of July.

The July low total is due to the annual summer plant shut down. There was only 180 cars (Coupes & Convertibles combined) produced last July. There's more cars coming for July this year. So totals will end up being about the same if not more than last year.

The July low total is due to the annual summer plant shut down. There was only 180 cars (Coupes & Convertibles combined) produced last July. There's more cars coming for July this year. So totals will end up being about the same if not more than last year.

Yeah but this isn't a normal shutdown. Eliminating an entire shift has to limit production significantly if not quite halving it.

Yeah but this isn't a normal shutdown. Eliminating an entire shift has to limit production significantly if not quite halving it.

Should I be worried I ordered my car June 14th and have read some of the horror stories on wait times. Seeing how they cut the factory shifts is my car going to take forever to get here? :banghead:

Not overwhelmingly popular like the article makes it sound...about 17% of the GT500 coupes.

The article is misleading in comparing it to the number of glass roofs on the base mustangs which is an unknown quantity. Plus obviously, more affluent people are going to buy more options on the premium model than a base model.

Should I be worried I ordered my car June 14th and have read some of the horror stories on wait times. Seeing how they cut the factory shifts is my car going to take forever to get here? :banghead:

The original car I ordered on April 1st is still sitting on the lot at the plant. It's really a crap shoot.

That's smart. Limit the product of a car you are actually selling......

With that said I'm sure part of the reason is there are still a lot of older Shelby's on lots.

Here is Autoblogs link...

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/07/15/ford-to-limit-2011-shelby-gt500-production-to-5-500-units/1#c29303431

True, and I'm also saying that because yesterday, the dealership that my dad works at took in a 2010 GT500 with 1700 miles still on it. But I'm still unsure about this production gig. :headscratch:

With or without any power steering? :lurk:

Ford is doing the right thing and the smart thing. Having spent 18 years on Wall Street, they are helping their share price and serving notice to GM, and they should. Ford didn't take the pacifier and they build a superior product in the American market, which includes Toyota and Honda. Check the numbers, Ford is number 5 overall, Porsche is number 1 and Toyota is 26!

Great strides are being made by Ford and they are raising the bar. :salute:

In the case the electric steering, don't knock it if you don't have or have not driven the car. It does reduce parasitic load on the engine and some of those folks at SVT probably know a little bit more than most of us.

Just my 2 cents.

Rocky

I'm all up and all good on the electric steering. I've had my GT500 on the track and the only thing I experienced was some spongy brakes after hot laps and I cured that by putting on the 6 piston Baer setup front and rear.

As far as exclusivity.......................give me a break..........................drive the cars, enjoy them, don't worry about mileage and tell me any car that doesn't devalue in the first few years and I'll eat your hat. I've been around the block and know that until a car reaches an age where many have been wrecked / trashed and there is a segment of the population that wants the cars, but couldn't afford them when they were new, there won't be an upside.

Think about it................with generation x.y.z or whatever we are in right now, they think everything is disposable and you just get new. I don't think 25 years from now there will be a big line of people wanting to buy your low mile, pampered, babied, hermetically sealed GT500 with the original plastic on the seats. I for one will drive the &(*%)#& out of mine and do with it what was intended.

IMHO: the reason for a limited production solely has to do with the corporate average fuel economy numbers that the bean counters have to deal with. They can only sell enought of these if they offset it by selling a boat load of Fiestas. Take it from me..............the 15/23 mileage rating can only be achieved if you don't ever see that boost gauge move from left to right.

Just another satisfied FORD customer, and happy that they let the SVT group work some magic on the 2011. I wouldn't have bought one without the SVTPP option.

R....

As far as exclusivity.......................give me a break..........................drive the cars, enjoy them, don't worry about mileage and tell me any car that doesn't devalue in the first few years and I'll eat your hat. I've been around the block and know that until a car reaches an age where many have been wrecked / trashed and there is a segment of the population that wants the cars, but couldn't afford them when they were new, there won't be an upside.

Great post and well said, Randymarble. I guess my 2010 is even more "exclusive". ;) Not that it matters to me...just a fun car to have.

If you do believe that Ford will halt production at 5,500 units for this model year...lost in the impending panic is the fact that Ford is increasing GT500 production 24% over last year. So there will definitely be more cars out there. There are still people finding new 2010's on dealer lots.

Archived