TEAM SHELBY FORUM

last straw

swampfox

So about 3 months ago i had my car aligned with factory tires on it, they said it still pulled to the right and they thought a weight was out of balance in the front tire.... well about a month ago i got a set of brand new nitto 555 tires, well it still pulled to the right. i got it realigned and it still pulled. The dealer told me it was the tire and it must be faulty. so today i took it to the tire shop and got a new tire put on......still same problem it drifts to the right. also at 57 i get a bad shake in my steering wheel, at 70-80 my hood shakes alot like it is very noticeable, and my seats vibrate side to side......if its not the tires then WTF is it? def not the tires so what else is left for possibilities because the dealership is not helping.

So about 3 months ago i had my car aligned with factory tires on it, they said it still pulled to the right and they thought a weight was out of balance in the front tire.... well about a month ago i got a set of brand new nitto 555 tires, well it still pulled to the right. i got it realigned and it still pulled. The dealer told me it was the tire and it must be faulty. so today i took it to the tire shop and got a new tire put on......still same problem it drifts to the right. also at 57 i get a bad shake in my steering wheel, at 70-80 my hood shakes alot like it is very noticeable, and my seats vibrate side to side......if its not the tires then WTF is it? def not the tires so what else is left for possibilities because the dealership is not helping.

I don't know what vehicle you have but I know S197 series vehicles have a serious ball joint problem. mine included where they had to be replaced with less than 20K on the car.

it causes the vehicle to both pull and vibrate when braking..I changed everything even new ceramic pads...

I could not find the problem until I had a bump steer kit and camber kit installed...the garage called me and advised the ball joints were falling out of the car and I was shocked.

Replaced them with high end joints and the problems went away immediately..

Hope this helps

I don't know what vehicle you have but I know S197 series vehicles have a serious ball joint problem. mine included where they had to be replaced with less than 20K on the car.

it causes the vehicle to both pull and vibrate when braking..I changed everything even new ceramic pads...

I could not find the problem until I had a bump steer kit and camber kit installed...the garage called me and advised the ball joints were falling out of the car and I was shocked.

Hope this helps

yea its a 2009 gt500 i have that to when i break the stearing wheel vibrates i figured that was just my rotors going bad or some shit hmm, idk man

yea its a 2009 gt500 i have that to when i break the stearing wheel vibrates i figured that was just my rotors going bad or some shit hmm, idk man

Also, I would suggest you feel free to take it to another dealer - for a second opinion. This way you might find a better Service Center. If they can't find anything ask them to check the ball joints based on this forum's information. Let us know what you find out and if they solve it for you. ShelbyLt.

Hope this helps

Could be the brake rotor itself, it could be out of balance from the factory and that would contribute to the issues you are describing.

Phil

Could be the brake rotor itself, it could be out of balance from the factory and that would contribute to the issues you are describing.

Phil

yes ive been to two different dealers in tampa, 2 different tire places now im going to my dealer i bought it from 80 miles away in ocala next week. i dont think its the rotors because thats a new issue it did it before i started feeling the vibrations when i hit the brakes.

Did you get the printout from the alignment machine? If not, ask for it.

If you can get that and post the numbers, I can tell you if it's a alignment problem.

The shake sounds like wheel balance problem/s.

The pull/drift sounds like a alignment problem.

If there is NO tire wear but still has a pull, it is most likely a *difference* in Caster settings from right to left.

If there IS tire wear, it can be toe in/out or Camber.

Is your steering wheel centered? Did they pull it and center it? (I HOPE NOT!) That'll FUG UP the handling faster'n snot running out yer nose on a cold day.

EDIT: Obviously, check the BASICS first. For instance, tire pressures, brake drag (front and rear), etc.

Phill

Heres one more thing to check. There are little metal clips that go over one of the studs on each wheel to keep the brake rotor on when they are putting it on before the tire goes on. The stock rims should have cutouts on the inside of the lug hole that will allow that ring to sit into and the rim to sit flush against the brake rotor. Sometimes if this ring gets pinched between the wheel and the brake rotor, it WILL throw off the balance even thought the tire is balanced perfected. This happened to me on my shelby, and it happened on my last car because I put on aftermarket rims that did not have the extra room milled out around the lug holes to account for those rotor keeper rings. Take off your wheel and take that ring off. It was only for assembly and will cause more harm then good. I took all mine off a few months ago on each wheel and it cured my tire shake in one fell swoop. It may not be your issue, but its cheap insurance and super easy to do. You will need a small flat head screw driver and maybe some side cutters if its really smashed against the rotor on the stud.

If you can get that and post the numbers, I can tell you if it's a alignment problem.

The pull/drift sounds like a alignment problem.

My car drifts to the right as well and this is after an alignment too!

My alignment specs are as follows: My numbers are the SECOND SET TO THE RIGHT (below). Can you tell from my specs if something might be causing the drift to the right?

(SECOND SET OF READINGS ARE MY ALIGNMENT SPECS)

Front

Camber

Left -0.9 -0.9

Right -0.9 -0.8

Caster

Left 7.2 6.7

Right 7.0 6.7

Toe

Left 0.07 0.07

Right 0.07 0.06

Total Toe 0.14 0.13

Steer Ahead 0.00

Rear

Camber

Left 0.0 -0.1

Right 0.0 0.0

Toe

Left 0.06 -0.08

Right -0.07 0.00

Total Toe -0.01 -0.08

Thrust Angle 0.06 -0.04

My car drifts to the right as well and this is after an alignment too!

My alignment specs are as follows: Can you tell from my specs if something might be causing the drift to the right?

Front

Camber

Left -0.9

Right -0.8

Caster

Left 6.7

Right 6.7

Toe

Left 0.07

Right 0.06

Total Toe 0.13

Steer Ahead 0.00

Rear

Camber

Left -0.1

Right 0.0

Toe

Left -0.08

Right 0.00

Total Toe -0.08

Thrust Angle -0.04

bump... Hey Phil. Can you check my alignment specs above? How do they look?

When they balance the tires, have them pop the tires off and check the pressure sensors. I had a band loose, which was allowing the sensor to move.

+1 on this. I had that happen recently. Doesn't throw it off by a lot, but it is noticeable.

Also had a caliper seize on my F-250. It pulled to one side horribly. Never saw a caliper seize like that ( the piston actually was falling apart).

Just a couple of things to check out.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I don't think the rim is bent. Paid 4K for custom TRUFORGED and had them balanced.

I guess I could swap the front wheels but the Nitto tires are one way directional. Wouldn't that pose a problem?

i dont know what to do guys, i took my car back to the dealership today, they took it in drove it, checked out the entire front end and nothing!!! infact they said it drives better then most shelby's thevd had!!! then why the fuck when im on the interstate does my passenger seat shake!!! and my hood seriously shakes at 80 they told me that was all normal sports car riding. i really doubt it, hmm well here somehting interesting i have 16,000 miles on my car and now when i hit my brakes my steering wheel now shakes...... does that point to maybe the rotors could be causing all of this to happen? if so then where is the cheapest place to get decent new ones and what steps should i take

Heres one more thing to check. There are little metal clips that go over one of the studs on each wheel to keep the brake rotor on when they are putting it on before the tire goes on. The stock rims should have cutouts on the inside of the lug hole that will allow that ring to sit into and the rim to sit flush against the brake rotor. Sometimes if this ring gets pinched between the wheel and the brake rotor, it WILL throw off the balance even thought the tire is balanced perfected. This happened to me on my shelby, and it happened on my last car because I put on aftermarket rims that did not have the extra room milled out around the lug holes to account for those rotor keeper rings. Take off your wheel and take that ring off. It was only for assembly and will cause more harm then good. I took all mine off a few months ago on each wheel and it cured my tire shake in one fell swoop. It may not be your issue, but its cheap insurance and super easy to do. You will need a small flat head screw driver and maybe some side cutters if its really smashed against the rotor on the stud.

That is very interesting. I am having a similar issue and had never thought of that. My car will shake side-to-side at highway speeds to the point that it literally loosened the passenger seat to the point that it started to squeak as it shook. I'll take a look.

i dont know what to do guys, i took my car back to the dealership today, they took it in drove it, checked out the entire front end and nothing!!! infact they said it drives better then most shelby's thevd had!!! then why the fuck when im on the interstate does my passenger seat shake!!! and my hood seriously shakes at 80 they told me that was all normal sports car riding. i really doubt it, hmm well here somehting interesting i have 16,000 miles on my car and now when i hit my brakes my steering wheel now shakes...... does that point to maybe the rotors could be causing all of this to happen? if so then where is the cheapest place to get decent new ones and what steps should i take

I feel your pain. I replaced my OEM F1s at 15K miles; the backs had 5/32 and 4/32 left, and while the fronts had about 1/2 of their tread on the middle and outer bands, the inside of the tires was worn down past the tread on one and to the secondary rubber on the other. I then had my replacement fronts replaced at 19K and then again yesterday at 23K, both times for accelerated wear on the inside of the tires and feathering on the outside.

I paid the dealership to align the fronts at 15K when the OEMs went, but they said it was in spec and made no changes. I have begun to wonder if the front end settings for the SVT products are set too aggressively and was considering dialing these back this week before my new wheels/tires (2011 GT500 take-offs) go on. I'd really like to get my issues resolved before burning through another new set of tires...

If you have not already done so, i would try swapping the front tires from side to side to see if the problem still persists on the same side. You could also check to make sure the rim is seated flat against the rotor when you swap them.

I'd like to try swapping the tires as you suggested but I only have 1 floor jack and the tires are NT555R unidirectional. Would that matter?

Like previously stated, check your TPMS sensors. I also had a band break and sometimes you couldn't tell at all and other times it was really bad.

Sorry. Should have mentioned to rule this scenario out. I did not have bands/sensors installed on my aftermarket TrueForged wheels. I just deal with the nominal TPMS light once in awhile and reset it.

I had bad speed wobble and had the wheels roadforce balanced, it cured the shakes right up to needle pinnage...

I'd like to try swapping the tires as you suggested but I only have 1 floor jack and the tires are NT555R unidirectional. Would that pose a problem?

Bump. Any suggestions?

Archived