TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Preserving Shelby autograph ????

hellmaster

What are you guys doing to preserve Carroll Shelbys autograph?

I have it on the air bag cover/ dash panel on my '07 SGT. Actually I bought a air bag cover from ford and sent that out to get autographed so I could still drive the car during the month or so that it took to get it back from the Shelby Foundation.

Should I just bring it to a body shop and have them spray it with clear? Or spray it myself? The cover is a little flexible and I would think once the clear dries it will be stiff. I don't want it to crack.

Any experiences or ideas?

thanks!

John

[anyone ... anyone ....

Leave the cover alone. Your asking for trouble if you try to seal that. It will look bad and might not stick and or flake later.

I left mine alone !!!

I just realized that the part that you're referring to is plastic. I agree with Grabber... It may be in your best interest to leave it alone. The plastic will expand and contract. Unless your desired sealant has some type of flex agent, it will probable flake. You also have to be careful of the dissolvent chemicals in the sealant. It could play havoc on the signature. I’ve experienced great success with the sealant that I recommended, however, I would not use it on your autographed piece.

I guess I will be leaving it alone. I just hate to have it in the car and when someone gets in the car people have a tendency to touch stuff. Oh whats that, why do you have that guys signature, as they run their fingers across the autograph.

I know a real good auto body place I may ask them if there is something that will protect but have some flex to it. Its worth a try.

Thanks to the poster who gave the link with the removal/install directions.

UV rays will break down the ink more than someone occasionally running their fingers across it. Just keep it covered with something if it'll be exposed to the sun for long periods of time and you should be fine.

BTW- Some have complained recently about the quality of Carroll Shelby's signature, not the case it your situation. Your piece came out awesome...

Archived