TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2011 GT 500 SVT

shelbynuts

Has anyone read the latest article about the 2011 SVT shelby (CAR and DRIVER Aug 2010). Very impressed with the stats as well as final review. Check it out. Are we gettin closer to perfect without an independent rear suspension?

Has anyone read the latest article about the 2011 SVT shelby (CAR and DRIVER Aug 2010). Very impressed with the stats as well as final review. Check it out. Are we gettin closer to perfect without an independent rear suspension?

Do they have any close up shots of the SVT Package wheels in the article? If so, I might actually buy the magazine!

:lol:

Do they have any close up shots of the SVT Package wheels in the article? If so, I might actually buy the magazine!

:lol:

Yes they do, but car is stripe delete. I'm not so sure about that! WAIT! I TAKE THIS BACK! I looked again and the only pic is of this car at a distance and not so good on the wheels. Still a great article! :happy feet:

Hardly, tranny/shifting problems already popping up.

I have heard a few guys talking about this. I will check into this when the new car arives. Just call it burnin rubber and pickin fights! :shift:

I have a 2011 GT500 w/SVT Performance package and don't have any problems with the tranny or shifting... So not sure what you are talking about. It doesn't shift like a corolla but women shouldn't drive this car anyways...

Virtually everyone with the 10's and 11's are complaining about gear grind when quick or speed shifting from 1st to 2nd. It is apparently an inherent problem with the Tremec tranny and the size of 1st gear versus 2nd. If you haven't experienced it, you will!!!!!! Happened to me on a test drive when the salesman, who knew me by the way, told me to step on it. He couldn't believe it..........drove it himself and was shocked. Talk to any of the tech guys or pro shop guys.........you'll find out soon enough. Too bad......keeping my '08 for now. With the new clutch (3rd one on the TSB) its driving better than ever.

Virtually everyone with the 10's and 11's are complaining about gear grind when quick or speed shifting from 1st to 2nd.

Guess I'm no one then. I have yet to experience any shift problem and I've tried very hard to recreate the "2nd gear, WOT, grinding problem" from the posts that describe when it occurs on 2011 GT500s on this and other forums.

I'm more than willing to admit this could just be me and that I drive differently from others, shifting slower, faster, whatever. I've yet to see anyone truely get to the root cause of a non-obvious mechanical issue that may or may not involve driver technique over the internet and I would be the last to state I know what is going on with someone elses car. It wouldn't surprise me if some people really do have a mechanical problem, and hope that if that is the case ,someone tracks down the root cause and posts a repair. But, I also suspect some posters simply missed a shift, or miss-applied the clutch, then saw the thread and jumped on the bandwagon. The GT500 transmission is very, very stiff when new and the clutch is sensitive, it has to be on the floor regardless of the throttle or the gears one is shifting between. I don't think these characteristics help Ford when one is forming a first impression of the transmission.

I will say that shifting at 2900 miles is far better than it was with only a few miles on the odometer.

So at the risk of sounding like I'm gloating, I'm now at 2900+ miles and no problems with the car other than what appears to be a overly sensative air bag detector in the drivers seat. When I start it without being fully seated, or take my weight off the seat while the car is running, or even sometimes when I hit a bump that moves me off the seat, my airbag light goes on. I plan on waiting till my standard service to get it looked at and hopefully fixed; unless it gets worse much faster than it has been.

I only have 800 miles on my 2011 GT500 SVT and I have experienced the 1st to 2nd grind. This only happens when I speed shift. I honestly thought is was me, and it may be. Very interesting to hear some else say there may be a systemic issue surrounding this. Regardless, this is one of the finest automobles I have ever driven, and I'm sure if there is an issue we'll get it fixed.

• 4 weeks later...

After hearing some of the problems with the 1-2 shift I decided to take her out yesterday morning with zero issues. I guess some have the issue some don't. I know at first I had trouble hitting 2nd at WOT. Then I adjusted my seat upright and pulled 2nd diagonally toward my belly button (fairly hard), with the clutch fully depressed with much better results.

I have had one instance of the 1st to 2nd gear grind with 7K miles on my 2010. I have had a similar issue in my 2005 supercharged Civic Si, and my best friend had the issue in his 400whp 2006 RSX-S. We both were running a 6-puck solid hub disc, heavy duty pressure plate, and ~8 lbs flywheels. We had this issue with the 3-4 shift and it felt the same in the Shelby. It felt like we were locked out of the gate and could not get the car in gear. What we found out was that there was such a low margin for error on the clutch at high engine revs, and basically we were not getting the clutch all the way down before shifting. Granted this was only when getting hard into the car. I haven't taken the time to test this on the Shelby, but it felt when I had the 1-2 grind that I was slightly out of the clutch, as I did not have it to the floor. Not saying this is the issue, but it was just something I was thinking about this morning.

I only have 800 miles on my 2011 GT500 SVT and I have experienced the 1st to 2nd grind. This only happens when I speed shift. I honestly thought is was me, and it may be. Very interesting to hear some else say there may be a systemic issue surrounding this. Regardless, this is one of the finest automobles I have ever driven, and I'm sure if there is an issue we'll get it fixed.

I have the same issue also. my 10' has about 400 miles so far and 1st-2nd is something i noticed around 200 miles.... I too thought it was just me..

I have a 2011 and almost 1,000 miles and I have not experienced this. Still learning to drive her and I did hit the rev limiter in first gear one time, ok maybe twice now. Hard to get into 2nd gear when I hit the limiter, but definitely no grinding.

Virtually everyone with the 10's and 11's are complaining about gear grind when quick or speed shifting from 1st to 2nd.

I must be the 'odd guy out' because I have had NOT ONE single problem shifting from 1-2 or any other gear.

Regular shift, hard shift or speed shift. Not a one.

And I've speed shifted it plenty of times...

Phill

After hearing some of the problems with the 1-2 shift I decided to take her out yesterday morning after setting the limiter at 6500.

How do you "set the limiter to 6500"?

I thought mine was adjustable (2010) but then found out that it's just the shift light and tone that is adjustable. I hit the chip at 6250 no matter what I do with the light/tone.

Phill

I would like to add my $.02 worth. I have owned ever body styled mustang going back to 1965 and they where all sticks. That being said , IMHO I believe the shifting problems are driver error unless there is a clutch issue in which case you would have difficulty getting in and out of gears and grinding.

Like I have all ready mentioned that I have had many stangs all sticks ; 23 to be exact ; and even with all this seat time I have occasionally grinded going 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. It is my opinion that the car and clutch combo in these cars take a higher level of skill to produce high speed or power shifting with out grinding occasionally. I like others stated these gates and gears slots are tight like a performance car should have and with that you are going to grind them if you can't find them. :hysterical:

Scotty

This topic has certainly gained some ground. I see we went from very general (getting closer to perfection without IRS), to those with shifting issues. I will add I was grinding gears from 1 to 2 as well at first. Then I noticed as time went on I was able to shift cleanly with each succsessive run. I was originally referring to the idea of faster 1/4 mile and 0-60 times. I would like to see us get on board with better track times (course) than that posted by GM eventhough ford has a really good car (with the mustang and live rear-end concept). Could we see this mustang really get into the mix with the corvette? I'm not concerned about the camero yet. I hear talk of the Z-28's return with a vengence to kick the mustang's ass. I might worry then.

How do you "set the limiter to 6500"?

I thought mine was adjustable (2010) but then found out that it's just the shift light and tone that is adjustable. I hit the chip at 6250 no matter what I do with the light/tone.

Phill

A tuner can adjust it.

Why would anyone want an IRS on a muscle car?

Just talkin about what all the top end mags have to say about what ford should be doing to keep up with the Vet and Camero ( that would be the Z-28). I still contest that Ford has done an excellent job with what they have.salute.gif

Archived