TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Kr Rear Differential Installation

Grabber

When filling up the rear diff thru the fill hole, when the fluid comes up to the level of the bottom of the plug and starts to spill out, it is then full and time to screw the plug in.

I took as close a look as possible just using pictures and my eyes at the 2011 cover and think it is nice! I've had the stock 07 differential cover, FRPP and KR style on my Fays2 GT500 and each cover has advantages and disadvantages over the others. If the 2011 cover is priced right, it could be a good buy? The 2011 cover looks like it is not fill to spill and would need modification to work correctly with Fays2, then those nice fins wouldn't look as nice. I won't be surprised to see the vent tube on the 2011 cover leak. Personaly I like the look of the black KR cover the best and your average Joe can't buy one. I also think the KR style cover is the best of all of them for servicing and use with Fays2.

Now, you can flip the propeller bolt on the Fays2 around with the Shelby or FRPP cover but you loose the easy adjustment function and clearance is not good at all and possibly worse, IMO.

Good to have options!

Edited by LuckySnake

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had the stock, FRPP, and now the Explorer/Mountaineer cover as well.

I found that the correct fluid elevation didn't match that of the fill hole on the modified cover. It was close, but no cigar. This was with the car perfectly level, and not nose down.

As to the '11 cover leaking, there is a tin baffle at the top of the cover that surrounds the vent, similar to those used in valve covers near the fill holes. And while some of the cooling fins may interfere with the addition of a Fays2, they could be removed just as those are on the E/M cover - actually, there would be far less mod work. I may pick one up just to verify my beliefs.

Either way Blayne, I've been with you since the start of this thing. I like the one I have on my car right now - very much. I'm just guilty of always finding interest in the latest and greatest.

Tob

I've had the stock, FRPP, and now the Explorer/Mountaineer cover as well.

I found that the correct fluid elevation didn't match that of the fill hole on the modified cover. It was close, but no cigar. This was with the car perfectly level, and not nose down.

As to the '11 cover leaking, there is a tin baffle at the top of the cover that surrounds the vent, similar to those used in valve covers near the fill holes. And while some of the cooling fins may interfere with the addition of a Fays2, they could be removed just as those are on the E/M cover - actually, there would be far less mod work. I may pick one up just to verify my beliefs.

Either way Blayne, I've been with you since the start of this thing. I like the one I have on my car right now - very much. I'm just guilty of always finding interest in the latest and greatest.

Tob

There is an allowable fluid level and I will quote them from the 2007 Mustang Workshop Manual 205-02B-1. "In-vehicle repair refill capacities are determined by filling the rear axle with the specified lubricant to 25.2-28.6 mm (1.0-1.125 in) below the bottom of the fill hole with the axle at ride height." If I fill my differential using a KR style cover to the bottom of the cover fill plug with the car sitting on all four wheels in my garage, the fluid level is very close if not dead nuts within the workshop manual specifications in reference to the plug hole of the differential. If a person doesn't like filling to the high side of the limit, you don't have to, same as the differential plug fill. My car's differential was also serviced with the nose at the front of the garage and nose not pointed down. I think if a person is worried about about a 2 degree incline then he/she should probably let a shop service the car, just my opinion. Besides that, most lifts don't raise your car perfectly level. For my car, the KR style cover works best for now and does a great job. OK, waiting for you to prove I'm few mm off.

Edited by LuckySnake

:waiting:

There is an allowable fluid level and I will quote them from the 2007 Mustang Workshop Manual 205-02B-1. "In-vehicle repair refill capacities are determined by filling the rear axle with the specified lubricant to 25.2-28.6 mm (1.0-1.125 in) below the bottom of the fill hole with the axle at ride height." If I fill my differential using a KR style cover to the bottom of the cover fill plug with the car sitting on all four wheels in my garage, the fluid level is very close if not dead nuts within the workshop manual specifications in reference to the plug hole of the differential. If a person doesn't like filling to the high side of the limit, you don't have to, same as the differential plug fill. My car's differential was also serviced with the nose at the front of the garage and nose not pointed down. I think if a person is worried about about a 2 degree incline then he/she should probably let a shop service the car, just my opinion. Besides that, most lifts don't raise your car perfectly level. For my car, the KR style cover works best for now and does a great job. OK, waiting for you to prove I'm few mm off.

:waiting:

Sorry Blayne, but I was busy working on and enjoying the beast today.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/41998-my-h-pipe-and-kr-mufflers-sound-clip/page__view__findpost__p__1004215

From the owner's manual supplement (second paragraph)...

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b9cc36b3127ccef8b68d1d055000000030O00AbNmbhq2aNWQPbz4Q/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D720/ry%3D480/

And as I stated in my write up thread after adding the Explorer cover (from this page)...

Obviously, two quarts of gear lube (and another 4 ounces of friction modifier) are no longer enough. What surprised me was that lube started to ooze from the upper opening of the Explorer cover before anything came out of the factory fill hole. It was close, but after closing up the cover, I was able to add approximately five ounces more. If the Explorer has a more 'nose up' pinion angle, I could see the two being a match - but not here.

I verified my findings by measuring quantities and by eye.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b9cc38b3127ccef8b21076d3f500000030O00AbNmbhq2aNWQPbz4Q/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D720/ry%3D480/

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b9cc38b3127ccef8b3184f72b400000030O00AbNmbhq2aNWQPbz4Q/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D720/ry%3D480/

:salute:

The camera allowed instantaneous monitoring as I filled from the rear.

Edited by Tob

Sorry Blayne, but I was busy working on and enjoying the beast today.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/41998-my-h-pipe-and-kr-mufflers-sound-clip/page__view__findpost__p__1004215

From the owner's manual supplement (second paragraph)...

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b9cc36b3127ccef8b68d1d055000000030O00AbNmbhq2aNWQPbz4Q/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D720/ry%3D480/

And as I stated in my write up thread after adding the Explorer cover (from this page...

I verified my findings by measuring quantities and by eye.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b9cc38b3127ccef8b21076d3f500000030O00AbNmbhq2aNWQPbz4Q/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D720/ry%3D480/

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b9cc38b3127ccef8b3184f72b400000030O00AbNmbhq2aNWQPbz4Q/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D720/ry%3D480/

:salute:

I know this information also "From the owner's manual supplement (second paragraph)..." and facts are facts but many of us prefer to change all of the fluids and you have to when you change your gears. I must be misunderstanding your statements becuase the fluid level is suposed to be lower than the fill plug in the differential, this is one of the reasons I like the KR cover so much, it is simply fill to spill using the cover fill plug and it will have the correct amount of fluid.

Two full quarts

Five ounces of the third quart

Four ounces of friction modifier ( I chose not to proportion the modifier to gear lube percentage and left as stock)

Total = 73 fluid ounces

As soon as my top KR fill plug started to ooz a little gear oil I pulled the hose out and checked it. It was not wanting to spill out very much after pulling my big pump hose out of the hole , so I stuck it back in and gave it another 1/2 pump. Then it was wanting to "spill" out of the hole, so I considered that topped off.

As you can see, my pump hose is almost as big as the fill hole.

005-2.jpg

A good reference to check for the correct amount of fluid with a stck cover is to use your pinky, you should only have lube on the tip of your pinky when you stick the end of your finger in the hole. The differential plug is a little higher than the KR fill plug and this why there is a difference.

Hey, I'm sure as heck about ten miles from perfect and the only guy that doesn't make a mistake is the guy that doesn't do anything. I think you are over servicing the differential.

Now that I think about it, I tried using a cheap pensoil palm pump that I had and it broke because I screwed it on to tight. I ended up wasting about 1/4 OZ. Then when I set my big pump on the garage floor to mix the Friction modifier in with a open bottle, the big hose had fluid in it and it leaked out while I was not looking. I lost about 3/4 of a oz there too.

So I think mine took about 77 ox instead of 78.

Edited by Grabber

I must be misunderstanding your statements becuase the fluid level is suposed to be lower than the fill plug in the differential, this is one of the reasons I like the KR cover so much, it is simply fill to spill using the cover fill plug and it will have the correct amount of fluid.

Must be the difference in gravitational pull at different locations from the equator. Or global warming. :P

I don't know what else to say Blayne, as those were the observations I documented. Interesting that Rob has even more fluid than me. Which has me reverting to an earlier statement I made

If the Explorer has a more 'nose up' pinion angle, I could see the two being a match - but not here.

More nose up/down at the front of the differential housing would allow for some capacity deviation. I don't know about what you two are using but I have a Roush upper, which was not an exact match to the stocker with regards to length. :shrug:

Must be the difference in gravitational pull at different locations from the equator. Or global warming. :P

I don't know what else to say Blayne, as those were the observations I documented. Interesting that Rob has even more fluid than me. Which has me reverting to an earlier statement I made

More nose up/down at the front of the differential housing would allow for some capacity deviation. I don't know about what you two are using but I have a Roush upper, which was not an exact match to the stocker with regards to length. :shrug:

I think we are fine. Ford designed the cover so that an exact amount of fluid isn't to important. I'm begining to think that SAI may have been slightly overservicing some of the early KR's? It won't hurt anything with the catch can.

I think we are fine.

You know it, brother.

I have the KR can and IIRC, so do you Blayne. Do you have one installed Rob or are you using the inverted turkey basting fix?

Tob

My car was parked in my house garage floor. I set up and poured that floor myself. It has 1/4 inch per foot slope.

The wheelbase on a GT500 is 107.1 inches.

So my cars front tires were sitting about 2-1/4 inches higher than the rear tires when I filled the rear diff.

My car was parked in my house garage floor. I set up and poured that floor myself. It has 1/4 inch per foot slope.

The wheelbase on a GT500 is 107.1 inches.

So my cars front tires were sitting about 2-1/4 inches higher than the rear tires when I filled the rear diff.

With that great big engine up front, you should be OK :hysterical:

Here's a pic of my 1/4 inch per foot sloped garage floor where I did my install. I use 1/4 inch slope so when you hose out the garage....the water runs out.

042.jpg

I also have one of those front tire parking bumps to tell me how far to pull in. This means my drivers side was up another 1/4 inch +/- a sixteenth.

Am I still OK. :hysterical:

Aha!!!

From carp to carp...

I poured my floor as well and shot all the grades. I have zero slope as I wanted to be able to do an alignment anywhere I wanted to. I have no plans on introducing any water onto the floor aside from a good scrubbing every now and then.

Tob

I used steel mesh and fiber mesh, along with 1/2" rebar where I poured some deep pockets to allow for longer anchor bolts for a future lift. A liberal coating of DOT spray cure and I cut in joints not long after the pour with a Soff-Cut saw...

You are not alone in your analness, Rob. :dance:

Aha!!!

From carp to carp...

I poured my floor as well and shot all the grades. I have zero slope as I wanted to be able to do an alignment anywhere I wanted to. I have no plans on introducing any water onto the floor aside from a good scrubbing every now and then.

Tob

I used steel mesh and fiber mesh, along with 1/2" rebar where I poured some deep pockets to allow for longer anchor bolts for a future lift. A liberal coating of DOT spray cure and I cut in joints not long after the pour with a Soff-Cut saw...

You are not alone in your analness, Rob. :dance:

+1 brother. happy%20feet.gif

I used the zip strips in my garage floor and I do not have a single crack. I used the 4000 PSI mix and did all the grading and compacting myself. I used the cure in seal product after wards and additional coats on year 3 and 6. My home is 8 years old now...and like I said...no cracks except for where I planned them.

4,000 mix here too. Tamped my own as well.

It's been over two years for me with zero cracking. I should probably return the plate tamper to our yard... :doh:

So the fluid consensus is that we're all good? I can't keep my eyes open much longer...

Tob

On edit...Rob, you are a sealant freak! Mummies weren't preserved as well as your floor!

Edited by Tob

4,000 mix here too. Tamped my own as well.

It's been over two years for me with zero cracking. I should probably return the plate tamper to our yard... :doh:

So the fluid consensus is that we're all good? I can't keep my eyes open much longer...

Tob

On edit...Rob, you are a sealant freak! Mummies weren't preserved as well as your floor!

:hysterical:

I'm feeling good about my fluid level. I like the fill to spill method.

My shop floor is dead level. In the future when I have my car in my shop and am under my car, I will check my fluids again. I'm not worried about it. Like Blayne said.....there is some tolorences here.

Today I had my car up on my ramps so I could do some underside detailing and touch up painting on my rear axel with a brush. I’m very happy with the way my rear end looks and the new KR rear diff cover on my car.

001.jpg

002.jpg

007.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

013.jpg

014.jpg