TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Kr Rear Differential Installation

Grabber

:hysterical:

My GT500 rear end can now be serviced with a quickie. I installed my "KR" rear diff cover today. My new cover has cooling fins and holds more fluid to help keep it cool.happy%20feet.gif

029.jpg

As you can see the factory cover is just a pretty butt with no service holes. The new cover is ready for action.happy%20feet.gif

009-1.jpg

Here she is with the holes plugged.:drool:

047.jpg

029-1.jpg

I removed the old cover and prepped the rim to receive the new cover. It needs to be clean as a whistle.

005-1.jpg

The pan hard bar has to come off to get the new cover on.

006-1.jpg

Then you need to lay a good bead of gasket maker into the groove of the "KR" new butt cover.

011.jpg

016-1.jpg

Then finger it a bit. :o

024-1.jpg

Now I have topped Alex's Services. :yup:

Edited by Grabber

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice cover ... is that the same one used on the 2011 GT500?

No.

It's the same one used on the 2008 KR's.

There are some functional reasons this cover is better:

a) holds about 1/2 quart more fluid than stock GT500 and more

than the FRPP cover, helping the differential to

run cooler and last longer.

B) noise reduction, helps to quiet gear noise. Nice improvement if

your running 3.73s.

c) makes changing/servicing the fluid a snap, no more removing

the cover.

d) helps to strengthen the differential.

e) easily modified to work with Fays2 watts link.

f) has better sealing surface, recessed seal groove.

Then there is the price advantage, it's the best cover available for the money. There is the bling factor, it's the best looking cover. You can buy this cover new at your local Ford dealer and modify it to your liking in a few hours with minimal tools. Threads are posted everywhere about how to do the mod.

Edited by Grabber

This morning I pulled the top fill plug on my new cover and Pumped in the new fluid (75W-140) and 6 oz of friction modifier. It took just over 2 quarts & 4oz (+ modifier) of fluid to do the job so you need to buy 3 quarts. After pumping part of the first quart in, I stopped and added the Friction modifier to the bottle and then continued pumping.

005-2.jpg

I took the car for a test drive and then parked it and checked for leaks. Everything is dry and I love the looks of my new rear end. happy%20feet.gif

008-1.jpg

Edited by Grabber

nice install old buddy.

on a side note, what do you use to clean your tags (paper stickers) that hang off the sway bar? i used some ice liquid and the ink started to dull. Your's look as new.

SLC

Please tell me you're kidding. It's a car... drive it.

Edited by i8acobra

Please tell me you're kidding. It's a car... drive it.

I drive mine every nice week end that I can and enjoy the heck out of it and I know Spring Lil Cobra does too.

I wanted to keep some of my tags intact on the car. I put a piece of clear bra on the tag and encapsulated it.

We all have certian quirks about our cars and to each there own.

In one of the pictures I noticed a speck of dirt on your garage floor. B)

I saw it too passenger side rear wheel. You would never see dirt on my floor; the pine needles that blow in hide the dirt. :hysterical:

hysterical.gif

My GT500 rear end can now be serviced with a quickie. I installed my "KR" rear diff cover today. My new cover has cooling fins and holds more fluid to help keep it cool.happy%20feet.gif

029.jpg

As you can see the factory cover is just a pretty butt with no service holes. The new cover is ready for action.happy%20feet.gif

009-1.jpg

Here she is with the holes plugged.drool.gif

047.jpg

029-1.jpg

I removed the old cover and prepped the rim to receive the new cover. It needs to be clean as a whistle.

005-1.jpg

The pan hard bar has to come off to get the new cover on.

006-1.jpg

Then you need to lay a good bead of gasket maker into the groove of the "KR" new butt cover.

011.jpg

016-1.jpg

Then finger it a bit. ohmy.gif

024-1.jpg

Now I have topped Alex's Services. yup.gif

hysterical.gifhysterical.gifhysterical.gif

G (General), PG (Personal Gain), PG-13 (Personal Gain over 13 HP), PG-14 (Personal Gain over 14 HP), R- (Released HP) or XXX ( EXXXtreme HP)

As you can tell, my girdle is still the same as when I purchased my stang in 2005. Alex has not YET touched my girdle. It is still shiney. Alex did paint my rear end and drive shaft. He did a GREAT job and you also have a beautiful rear end and now a newer girdle with two holes to add the fluids.

I am planning on adding a new girdle later so I also can add fluids to it.

I personally had Tequila Shouts during my job at Alex's. tequila.gif I was VERY HAPPY with the job there. Does your service also offer Tequila shots to your customers?tequila.gif

It's all good Rob, your girdle and rear end does look great. Congrats, but Alex does live a little closer...

Tom

It's all good Rob, your girdle and rear end does look great. Congrats, but Alex does live a little closer...

Tom

I'm glad your pimp Alex is going to slip on a new girdle for you. My services are not for hire. I only provide girdle services for my wifey and my GRABRRR.th_GT5002009Pics101.jpg

:hysterical:

I'm glad your pimp Alex is going to slip on a new girdle for you. My services are not for hire. I only provide girdle services for my wifey and my GRABRRR.th_GT5002009Pics101.jpg

hysterical.gif

hysterical.gifhysterical.gifhysterical.gif

NO COMMENT...

Tom

As nice as these covers are when finished up, were I to do it over, I would have simply picked up a 2011 finned aluminum cover from Ford. They come with the breather installed atop the cover (no more leaking at the passenger side axle tube location) and have two flats cast onto the cover. Both can be drilled and tapped to provide fill/drain points and both can then be plugged with readily available pipe plugs.

I haven't priced a '11 cover yet from the dealer but I suspect it should approximate that of the Explorer/Mountaineer unit.

But if you don't mind a bit of work, there is quite a bit of satisfaction in making these things fit our beasts. Looks very fitting on your car, Rob. Some KR in your blood never hurts. :salute:

Tob

As nice as these covers are when finished up, were I to do it over, I would have simply picked up a 2011 finned aluminum cover from Ford. They come with the breather installed atop the cover (no more leaking at the passenger side axle tube location) and have two flats cast onto the cover. Both can be drilled and tapped to provide fill/drain points and both can then be plugged with readily available pipe plugs.

I haven't priced a '11 cover yet from the dealer but I suspect it should approximate that of the Explorer/Mountaineer unit.

But if you don't mind a bit of work, there is quite a bit of satisfaction in making these things fit our beasts. Looks very fitting on your car, Rob. Some KR in your blood never hurts. :salute:

Tob

I have many unique items on my car that I'm pretty proud of. This cover is now one of them. happy%20feet.gif This is what makes owning one of these cars so dang fun.

LOL...Don't know how I missed this post.....but I fell out of my chair laughing so hard.....so much excitement over rears and girdles, and holes...your new cover looks great Rob...

But my rear girdle has two holes AND two studs with the Shelby name on it and hold almost 3 quarts....hehe

See...

100_0006.jpg

100_0007.jpg

Alex

Tob

Even if you buy and modify an 011 cover and drill and tap and buy plugs, it won't be fill to spill like Rob's cover. Will you be able to drain all the fluid from the 011 cover afer it's modified? I wonder if the 011 holds as much fluid as the KR style cover or will work with a Fays 2 watts link? The modified explorer "KR style" cover is the only fill to spill cover I'm aware of for the 8.8.

Even if you buy and modify an 011 cover and drill and tap and buy plugs, it won't be fill to spill like Rob's cover. Will you be able to drain all the fluid from the 011 cover afer it's modified? I wonder if the 011 holds as much fluid as the KR style cover or will work with a Fays 2 watts link? The modified explorer "KR style" cover is the only fill to spill cover I'm aware of for the 8.8.

Lucky,

I have this same thread over on Stangs United and it's getting some feedback over there that you might want to check out.

http:// /showthread.php?1327-My-new-Rear-Diff-cover

LOL...Don't know how I missed this post.....but I fell out of my chair laughing so hard.....so much excitement over rears and girdles, and holes...your new cover looks great Rob...

But my rear girdle has two holes AND two studs with the Shelby name on it and hold almost 3 quarts....hehe

See...

100_0006.jpg

100_0007.jpg

Alex

Damn, my pimp Alex does have a really nice rear end and girdle. It must be the end thing in Palm Springs. Whats happening in Washington with you?hysterical.gifhysterical.gifhysterical.gif

Tom

Blayne,

what do you mean when you say fill to spill?

Tob

When filling up the rear diff thru the fill hole, when the fluid comes up to the level of the bottom of the plug and starts to spill out, it is then full and time to screw the plug in.