TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Washing my 2011 GT500 SVT PP

Jimbola23

2 buckets with grit guards and microfibre wash mits, one for the wheels and lower rockers and one for the rest of the car...

Use a mild car soap, dish detergent will remove wax and is harsh anyway...

I would also go with microfibre drying towels instead of a chamois...

I use seperate drying towels for the wheels and rockers too...

I wash and dry in small straight lines, dip the wash mit a lot and shake the drying towel frequently... This helps to keep from scratching the paint too...

Grats on the new ride!! Pics needed!!

2 buckets with grit guards and microfibre wash mits, one for the wheels and lower rockers and one for the rest of the car...

I wash and dry in small straight lines, dip the wash mit a lot and shake the drying towel frequently... This helps to keep from scratching the paint too...

post-29285-127899017981_thumb.jpg

post-29285-127899017981_thumb.jpg

Go check out the web site CR Spotless filtration systems. I have never towel dried my 07 since I got Her, and it Shows. Or any of my cars in the last thre years and I just Bought my wife a New 11 5.0 in Black that will Never be Towel Dried as well. CR Spotless Totally works,Money well spent....Period.

I start off washing the wheels, tires, inner fenders, & exhaust tips first. Once those areas are done, I wash the bucket out and get new car wash soap. From there I wash a panel at a time, rinsing the rag off each time.....I have two separate rags, one for the lower rocker panels and one for the rest of the car. When I get done washing, I use a 2 speed leaf blower to dry the car off. Since I keep a really good coat of wax on, the water just flys off.

I had a product called POLY-STEEL applied at the dealership. It has a 5 yr guarantee against road grime or sun fade on the paint if applied at the dealership. I'm not sure if u apply ur self. Stuff is bad ass. Apply once a yr and that's it. Can't be washed off and the paint remains glossy as hell...... no scratches. The product seals the paint. I used a regular shammy cloth each wash and no problems. Kit should cost 150$ if u buy. Includes leather cleaner, Glass cleaner, Car polish, Car wash, ect. Look into. I'm sold!!!!!!

Black paint is the hardest to take care of. The green on the Cobra is not as bad, but dark colors in general will show micro scratches in reflected light conditions more than others (like red or white).

Here's my guidelines:

Never use dish detergent unless you are prepping for a wax job and want to get rid of the old wax.

I use a good quality car wash - Turtle Wax Ice product is the last one I got but there are others.

I use a microfiber towel to wash and then immediately rinse. Don't let the soapy water dry. Easiest way is to do a panel at a time, start with the roof (unless you have a 'vert) and then trunk/hood, then sides. Save the front and rear bumpers and tires for last (bugs and goo).

I then rinse again with clear water and then use the microfiber towel to remove the beaded water (squishing frequently) and then follow with another dry MF towel to remove the streaking.

I then follow up with a detailer polish pass to remove the last streaks and rebuild a little wax. After four or so such treatments I will use the Turtle Wax Ice liquid polish instead of detailer. Once a year I clay bar and paste wax.

Note, even this careful treatment leaves some very fine scratches in the clear coat that are visible with the sun at the right angle. After three years it's time to get an orbital polisher and really spiff it up.

+1

Archived