TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Orange Coolant in the '11s

Ezareth

So Summit Racing had an All Ford get together this weekend and I stopped out and there was about 5 or 6 other GT500s including a 2008 Super Snake as well as an original GT500 and two original GT 350s.

One thing the other Shelby guys noticed and mentioned is the 11s have "Orange" coolant. All the prior GT500s use a "Yellow" coolant. My manual specifically states to replace with orange. Anyone know what the difference is? I'm just curious, especially since my first batch of orange exploded on the underside of my hood.

Thanks.

So Summit Racing had an All Ford get together this weekend and I stopped out and there was about 5 or 6 other GT500s including a 2008 Super Snake as well as an original GT500 and two original GT 350s.

One thing the other Shelby guys noticed and mentioned is the 11s have "Orange" coolant. All the prior GT500s use a "Yellow" coolant. My manual specifically states to replace with orange. Anyone know what the difference is? I'm just curious, especially since my first batch of orange exploded on the underside of my hood.

Thanks.

I asked the same thing.................from the pics I thought it was pink.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/58573-pink-fluids/

One thing the other Shelby guys noticed and mentioned is the 11s have "Orange" coolant. All the prior GT500s use a "Yellow" coolant.

That's not entirely true.

My 2010 (built in August) has one tank filled with yellow and the other with orange. I can't remember which is which but it is explained in the Owners Manual (I remember reading something about the difference in colors). I'll see if I can find it again and let you know what is says.

In the meantime, anyone with a 2010 has the same OM I have and can look, in case I don't!

Phill

From what I understand, the yellow (or gold) antifreeze is a hybrid organic acid technology coolant (HOAT) which is still somewhat compatible with the old green antifreeze, but its upside is longer service life. Its called G-05 or something like that, its really not recommended to mix with the older green stuff but you can if you had to, just shortens service life.

Orange is pure OAT and is not compatible with the the old glycol or HOAT and will do damage if mixed, its also compatible with dex-cool which can be a good or bad thing..

This is the 2011 antifreeze:

http://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/Main/product.asp?product=Specialty%20Orange%20Engine%20Coolant%20with%20Bittering%20Agent&category=A/C%20and%20Engine%20Cooling%20Products

This is the 2010 down stuff:

http://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/Main/product.asp?product=Premium%20Gold%20Engine%20Coolant%20with%20Bittering%20Agent&category=A/C%20and%20Engine%20Cooling%20Products

From what I understand, the yellow (or gold) antifreeze is a hybrid organic acid technology coolant (HOAT) which is still somewhat compatible with the old green antifreeze, but its upside is longer service life. Its called G-05 or something like that, its really not recommended to mix with the older green stuff but you can if you had to, just shortens service life.

Orange is pure OAT and is not compatible with the the old glycol or HOAT and will do damage if mixed, its also compatible with dex-cool which can be a good or bad thing..

http://www.fcsdchemi...ling%20Products

http://www.fcsdchemi...ling%20Products

Yep, that's the orange coolant in my car now. I also just brought some home from my dealer as I'm installing the Shelby HE and Radiator tomorrow. That's it http://www.fcsdchemi...ling%20Products

http://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/Main/product.asp?product=Specialty%20Orange%20Engine%20Coolant%20with%20Bittering%20Agent&category=A/C%20and%20Engine%20Cooling%20Products

http://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/Main/product.asp?product=Premium%20Gold%20Engine%20Coolant%20with%20Bittering%20Agent&category=A/C%20and%20Engine%20Cooling%20Products

Awesome. Thanks!

Yep, that's the orange coolant in my car now. I also just brought some home from my dealer as I'm installing the Shelby HE and Radiator tomorrow.

I'm curious....what'd they charge you?

I didn't realize I couldn't mix the orange/green so I better go get a gallon or two to keep handy, just in case.

Only available from Ford or can you get it from Indy's?

TIA,

Phill

good info..thx. still i have to wonder why mine is pink in color, vice orange....maybe the orange is for the new mustangs (not GT500).. :banghead:

good info..thx. still i have to wonder why mine is pink in color, vice orange....maybe the orange is for the new mustangs (not GT500).. :banghead:

Ford used to have pink antifreeze in its imports (mid/late 90s or so), I have no idea why it would come back in 2011 shelby mustangs. From what I understand they made the gold to orange switch in 2011.

Who knows, orange can look like pink in the bottle I guess, or maybe the dealer mixed in something else when they did the PDI.

I think thats the orange stuff, take the cap off and look at it (when its cold of course). Dex-cool looks pink in the reservoir as well but when you pour it its orange.

Its definitely not gold :)

thx...already did...actually removed some since it was overfilled...its pink inside no doubt..

thx...already did...actually removed some since it was overfilled...its pink inside no doubt..

Who knows, like I said I remember the ford focus used to come with pink, as well as the probes (mazda), some even came in blue to confuse things even more. Its not a good idea to mix it unless you know exactly what it is so I wonder where you are supposed to get it.

Save it for the winter. For summer go with distilled water and a bottle of Water Wetter. And you'll still be pretty in pink.

I wouldn't risk a chance at breaking warranty even if that stuff works.

All it takes if you have a problem is some stupid Ford tech noticing some different coolant in the reservoir and stick you with repairs that would have been warrantied otherwise.

I wouldn't risk a chance at breaking warranty even if that stuff works.

All it takes if you have a problem is some stupid Ford tech noticing some different coolant in the reservoir and stick you with repairs that would have been warrantied otherwise.

The guy that designed the Shelby dual fan HE recommends it, so I'd say it works.

Save it for the winter. For summer go with distilled water and a bottle of Water Wetter. And you'll still be pretty in pink.

Why? Where is the lubricant. Is it in the water wetter?

Why? Where is the lubricant. Is it in the water wetter?

The lube is in the nightstand.

The distilled water and Water Wetter provide a significant reduction in heat that the anti-freeze does not - and this is what you want in a "heat exchanger". Keep a small amount of anti-freeze in the system for a rust inhibitor, as the Water Wetter provides none, and go back with a 50/50 mix in the winter for freeze protection.

I'm curious....what'd they charge you?

I didn't realize I couldn't mix the orange/green so I better go get a gallon or two to keep handy, just in case.

Only available from Ford or can you get it from Indy's?

TIA,

Phill

I actually have not paid for it yet, so I'm not sure. They were going to change the HE and Radiator but the tech got too busy. I didn't want to wait so I said I'd do it myself. He gave me 3 bottles and said we'd work it out later. Not sure if it's available somewhere else.

Started the install yesterday. Shelby Radiator is in and I should get the Shelby HE installed tonight. The fluid was Pink when I drained the stock HE and stock Radiator.

Archived