TEAM SHELBY FORUM

updating the distributor and carb

I am looking at replacing the original dual point distributor and carb on my 66 GT350 (auto trans). Both are quite old and I want the reliability of the newer technology, electronic ignition and updated carb. Any ideas? I will keep the original stuff in a box in storage, but as much as I drive it I was thinking Pertronix, or maybe Mallory on the distributor, and Holley or Edelbrock on the 4bbl. Anyone have success with these?

I am looking at replacing the original dual point distributor and carb on my 66 GT350 (auto trans). Both are quite old and I want the reliability of the newer technology, electronic ignition and updated carb. Any ideas? I will keep the original stuff in a box in storage, but as much as I drive it I was thinking Pertronix, or maybe Mallory on the distributor, and Holley or Edelbrock on the 4bbl. Anyone have success with these?

[/quot I have a 65 Shelby tribute with a mild 302 in it and I've been using a pertronix in my car for the past 4 years and have had no problems. I like the pertonix because it fits under the stock distributor cap and is really undetectable from the eye. from what I see, the MSD setup has a modual or box that is usually affixed in the engine compartment. I also run a performer RPM manifold and Edlebrock carb 600cfm and its all good.

post-28087-127890130235_thumb.jpg

post-28087-127890130235_thumb.jpg

Thanks, I really don't want to go the MSD route beacuse of the big red box that goes with it. I have a rebuilt Edelbrock 600 carb that i might try, I used them on my street rods and loved them. Others have said to go Pertronix, I didn't know whether to go the whole distributor or just the kit that goes into mine. My only thought there is that my stock distributor may not be advancing correctly.

Thanks, I really don't want to go the MSD route beacuse of the big red box that goes with it. I have a rebuilt Edelbrock 600 carb that i might try, I used them on my street rods and loved them. Others have said to go Pertronix, I didn't know whether to go the whole distributor or just the kit that goes into mine. My only thought there is that my stock distributor may not be advancing correctly.

Hey there,

I have a 65 coupe with a 289 hi po. It is set up for vintage road racing so I like everything to look as stock as possible. I believe the stock aluminum intake with the holley or the 1:12

Autolite is the best combo you can use. As far as the distributor, I use the crane stuff, but MSD works really good as well. Both have the high capicity discharge box that you can mount under the dash or somewhere out of site.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, will check into that too. Which Holley did you use?

I changed all my early Mustangs (65-68) to Petronix many years ago and have had zero trouble. For my 66 GT350, I made sure it was the dual point model for the high revs and the Petronix coil. A fresh rotor and cap is recommended as they do wear and/or may get corroded points during long periods of no use. I will be upgrading soon to the Petronix II version.

I have been running Pertronix for years on my 68` Shelby & both 65` Mustangs trouble free . The nice thing is you can hide the wiring in the harness & everyhing looks original. Should go greart with a new Holley. good luck.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

On my 1965 Mustang (built to look nearly exactly like a GT-350R) I used the MSD ignition system. The box is mounted in the glove box area and out of sight by shutting the glove box door.. The glove box liner was removed and a tray built for the box allowing ventilation. The MSD blaster coil was repainted black to look like the original. The Holley double pumper carb is from Cobra Automotive (www.cobraautomotive.com) and was blueprinted for the engine they built for me, a 331 cubic inch stroker with 407 hp. I used a vintage Holman Moody high rise intake that was also "cleaned up" inside by Cobra Automotive for better air flow. The only non-stock appearing item is the distributor, which is the large head size to deter spark jump. The carb is then topped off with an original vintage Holman Moody "h/m" embossed air cleaner, the valve covers are R-model style, and the engine was painted in a gloss Dupont black. The car is in the shop now and I'll post some pictures in a day or two. Check out Cobra Automotive's website, they are one of the leaders in vintage racing R& D, track support, restorations and have a nice selection of street and racing parts.

• 2 weeks later...

Correct me if I am wrong but you do mean the entire Pertronix dist. if you install the kit into the old dist you are still going to have advance problems if you are having them now,. I think you need to rebuild dist and use a dist machine....Cheers!

Correct me if I am wrong but you do mean the entire Pertronix dist. if you install the kit into the old dist you are still going to have advance problems if you are having them now,. I think you need to rebuild dist and use a dist machine....Cheers!

Thank you. I replaced the carb and that took care of my problem, but I still would like to add the Pertronix kit and coil to the car.

I had the Pertronix distributor, coil, and 2nd strike box in my 66 fastback and I loved them. However, the new Pertronix kit has the 2nd strike built into the distributor, so you get all the advantages of the old box without the box actually cluttering up the engine bay. Definitely give Pertronix a shot - it's top tier stuff for a reasonable price. Good luck

Thank you. I replaced the carb and that took care of my problem, but I still would like to add the Pertronix kit and coil to the car.

Awesome and your welcome, you are wise to go Pertronix, I have had good luck with them, also setting the advance on a distributor machine is an extra help too if you can find a shop that has one in your area...Cheers!

Archived