TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Paint Quality

I was just wondering what the quality of your 2011 paint is. Especially any one with Black. I have several "spots" on my car that are perfectly round, about the diameter of a baseball, and have a hazy cast to them. Looking at these spots under a magnifying glass, its quite obvious that these spots are full of blue mica or flake. It is as though the paint sprayer shot out spots of color from a previous car. These spots are only visible when the care is perfectly clean and in bright sunlight. Anyone else see anything like this?? :headscratch:

I was just wondering what the quality of your 2011 paint is. Especially any one with Black. I have several "spots" on my car that are perfectly round, about the diameter of a baseball, and have a hazy cast to them. Looking at these spots under a magnifying glass, its quite obvious that these spots are full of blue mica or flake. It is as though the paint sprayer shot out spots of color from a previous car. These spots are only visible when the care is perfectly clean and in bright sunlight. Anyone else see anything like this?? :headscratch:

Id bring it to a high end restoration shop that paints and ask them what they think it is, and how would it be fixed.it doesnt sound right.I think though these cars are painted by robots,not people

I have spots in my paint as well, although none of them is bigger than a dime. I also don't notice them involving a different paint color. I can't tell if they are flaws in the original paint job, or something that happened after the car was made and sat for awhile or while in transit. They almost seem like etchings like you can get from bird droppings. They are hard to see unless in the right light (such as under flourescents). I wasn't overly concerned until I noticed a slight paint chip in one of the spots. I'm taking the car in tomorrow for a couple of other issues, and I'm going to see if the dealer is any help on this. I've emailed them and spoke on the phone with them about this, stating that I think this may be a warranty issue. I'm mainly concerned that if it's a defect in the paint, it will get worse over time (more chipping or flaking).

If I can't get anywhere on the warranty claim, I'll probably take it to a professional detailer (any recommendations?) and see if I can get any help with these spots (and a few other small chips I picked up during a rock bath on the interstate). Here's a photo of the spot circled in red and the chip is on the right side of the spot. This is near the center of my hood:

paintspot.jpg

if its not thru the clear,many folks have had success with using a clay bar on the paint.I personally woiuld try Maguiars #3,and if that doesnt work, use a # 2, then use #9 to take out any swirls--good luck

I have spots in my paint as well, although none of them is bigger than a dime. I also don't notice them involving a different paint color. I can't tell if they are flaws in the original paint job, or something that happened after the car was made and sat for awhile or while in transit. They almost seem like etchings like you can get from bird droppings. They are hard to see unless in the right light (such as under flourescents). I wasn't overly concerned until I noticed a slight paint chip in one of the spots. I'm taking the car in tomorrow for a couple of other issues, and I'm going to see if the dealer is any help on this. I've emailed them and spoke on the phone with them about this, stating that I think this may be a warranty issue. I'm mainly concerned that if it's a defect in the paint, it will get worse over time (more chipping or flaking).

If I can't get anywhere on the warranty claim, I'll probably take it to a professional detailer (any recommendations?) and see if I can get any help with these spots (and a few other small chips I picked up during a rock bath on the interstate). Here's a photo of the spot circled in red and the chip is on the right side of the spot. This is near the center of my hood:

If you car was sitting next to the oil change bay when the PDI was done and a few drops of oil that splattered when the drain pan hit it there you go, or a leaking robot on the line. If the paint is soft on those spots it was most likely some kind of chemical that got on there. Thats just one of the thousands of things that can happen to the car once it leaves the paint booth..

If I look close at mine there is one spot where there is some blue in the clear, like there was something in the gun when it was spraying. You pretty much have to look as hard as you can to see it so it doesnt bother me much. Either way its a bad spot to be in, sometimes the fix is worse than the original problem with dealer paint work.

There is no question what this is on my car. It is blue mica chips from another color. It is very plain to see under magnification. The paint delivery system was not cleaned thoughly enough before the color change. The bad thing about it is that the "fix" is way worse than the problem. I'm not about to breech the integrity of factory paint for blemishes that you have to look hard to find. It just kicks me off they are there on what else seems to be a perfect car (now my bias is showing).

I have spots in my paint as well, although none of them is bigger than a dime. I also don't notice them involving a different paint color. I can't tell if they are flaws in the original paint job, or something that happened after the car was made and sat for awhile or while in transit. They almost seem like etchings like you can get from bird droppings. They are hard to see unless in the right light (such as under florescents). I wasn't overly concerned until I noticed a slight paint chip in one of the spots.

That almost looks like two separate issues on your picture. I'm not sure that one has anything to do with the other. The etching - from what it appears could be rubbed out. I'd recommend Meguiars ultimate compound or you could start out with a milder product (Meguiars swirl remover or ScratchX 2.0) to avoid going too harsh at first. I doubt that the clay would do much for that unless it's actually containment on the surface of the paint.

As far as the chip...eh, I would live with it myself.

We discussed the imperfections in the paint in another thread. Seems like a lot of us had dust or particles on the surface of the cars when they were sprayed. I have several "fisheye" type spots here and there. They are really small and impossible to see unless you are inches from the paint. I'm not even thinking about getting them repaired...as stated the "fix" might turn out to be worse than the original "problem". Inevitably, my car with end up with nicks, dings, scratches, etc anyhow as it's a daily driver. So I'm just going to roll with it.

I appreciate all the advice. It's good to get other opinions on this. I did try clay bar and scratchx 2.0 previously on some of the spots. The scratchx seemed to help in some but not all of the spots (obviously not the one in my photo above). I definitely do not plan to try anything more abrasive myself. I still plan to discuss more with the dealer. As long as they give me comfort that this isn't a situation where the spots will further deteriorate, worst case I can live with them. Either way, I will be cautious about any "fix" they propose as I certainly don't want to end up with a bigger problem on my hands.

I must add that aside from these problem spots, the paint on this car looks amazing!

I appreciate all the advice. It's good to get other opinions on this. I did try clay bar and scratchx 2.0 previously on some of the spots. The scratchx seemed to help in some but not all of the spots (obviously not the one in my photo above). I definitely do not plan to try anything more abrasive myself. I still plan to discuss more with the dealer. As long as they give me comfort that this isn't a situation where the spots will further deteriorate, worst case I can live with them. Either way, I will be cautious about any "fix" they propose as I certainly don't want to end up with a bigger problem on my hands.

I must add that aside from these problem spots, the paint on this car looks amazing!

Meguiars Ultimate Compound might be worth a try. I know that a "compound" sounds scary on your new car..but I've used it before with great results. It's nothing like the rubbing compounds of the past. Just go slow and deliberate and contain it to the affected area. However, that being said - If you're not comfortable with doing that I would just let it be. I've noted when using ScratchX - you usually have to work the product thoroughly in as many as 4-5 "sessions" to remove the imperfections. It is best suited for isolated paint defects, which is what we're talking about.

I just started claying my car tonight and put on some Meguiars NXT 2.0 wax - and WOW! Just as you say...despite the imperfections...the paint looks quite striking from a couple feet away. I did notice a bit of containments when claying..but it wasn't terrible. I did the trunk, roof, hood and side window quarter panels. I did two separate claying sessions on each section and then a wipe down with ultimate detailer and then the layer of Meguiars NXT 2.0 - you talk about a smooth surface!

Meguiars Ultimate Compound might be worth a try. I know that a "compound" sounds scary on your new car..but I've used it before with great results. It's nothing like the rubbing compounds of the past. Just go slow and deliberate and contain it to the affected area. However, that being said - If you're not comfortable with doing that I would just let it be. I've noted when using ScratchX - you usually have to work the product thoroughly in as many as 4-5 "sessions" to remove the imperfections. It is best suited for isolated paint defects, which is what we're talking about.

I appreciate the tip on the Ultimate Compound. At this point I'm inclined to let it be. The dealer was cool enough about the problem and offered to either touch it up or repaint the hood, but at the same time advised that they would probably not mess with the factory paint job if it were their car. I think if I'm going to have any work done on these spots, I will take the car to a reputable paint restoration shop where they do this for a living and rely on doing a good job to keep up the business.

JDA, I don't know what part of Colorado you live in, but send me a PM. I live in Highlands Ranch and have a great relationship with a body shop in Englewood. They painted my 71 Chevelle, worked on my 07 GT, and have helped me take a few scratches out of my 10 GT500. Its Kona Blue and shows EVERYTHING! As of right this minute the paint is about as good as it gets. So maybe I can get you some help. -HAWKBARR

I appreciate the tip on the Ultimate Compound. At this point I'm inclined to let it be. The dealer was cool enough about the problem and offered to either touch it up or repaint the hood, but at the same time advised that they would probably not mess with the factory paint job if it were their car. I think if I'm going to have any work done on these spots, I will take the car to a reputable paint restoration shop where they do this for a living and rely on doing a good job to keep up the business.

No problem Betashave.

Archived