TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2010 Stick Vibration - and another noob question...

Just driving my car after getting it back from the shop for some paint work due to lack of quality on the factory's part - and I'm noticing lots of vibration on top of the standard sloppy play from the gear box. My question is, how much vibration is too much? At 5k rpm it feels like i have a neck massager in the palm of my hand in 1st and 2nd gear (mind you, im only at 380 miles). It calms down a bit in 3rd-6th.

Also, and pardon the noobishnish of this - its been 3 years since I owned a stick and none of my cars to this point have had the kind of power the gt500 does, but is a rolling burnout from second without popping the clutch too much to hope for with stock power?

Just driving my car after getting it back from the shop for some paint work due to lack of quality on the factory's part - and I'm noticing lots of vibration on top of the standard sloppy play from the gear box. My question is, how much vibration is too much? At 5k rpm it feels like i have a neck massager in the palm of my hand in 1st and 2nd gear (mind you, im only at 380 miles). It calms down a bit in 3rd-6th.

Also, and pardon the noobishnish of this - its been 3 years since I owned a stick and none of my cars to this point have had the kind of power the gt500 does, but is a rolling burnout from second without popping the clutch too much to hope for with stock power?

Bimmerguy,

I get the same thing with the vibration at higher RPMs. Not sure if it's to your extent though (massager seems a bit much) . I'd love to hear from the veterans on this, maybe it's normal???? As for the second gear burnout, I'm sure it depends on your climatic conditions but I can usually break loose in 2nd on demand. I have had a few mods though.

DeFreak

Ok, maybe a little exaggerated with the massage, but its definitely a strong cell phone level vibration.

And with the mods in your sig, I would imagine you have a good additional 40-50hp...

Yep, I get the same vibration too then. Funny cause it reminds me of an old RX7 I used to have. That sucker redlined at like 9k. Good times.......

DeFreak

Yep, I get the same vibration too then. Funny cause it reminds me of an old RX7 I used to have. That sucker redlined at like 9k. Good times.......

DeFreak

If the vibration is rpm dependant it is a balance issue with the engine/trans most likely. If it is speed dependant, it is the driveshaft/axles/tires. Most likely it is a normal production engine/trans. and within normal limits. Most engines shake at some rpm or another unless they are hand-balanced.

Mine is smooth all the way up/down rpms---dont feel any vibration.Of course i also drive a 65GTO which has a huge vibration in the M21 transmission, so maybe im used to alot of vibration and the GT500 feels alot better

Lets just say I can really feel whats going on underneath the carpeting... I can feel the rotational mass of the everything in the transmission rotating based on rpms - and the comment on balance would make sense - not quite perfect balancing is what makes a phone's vibrate function work - weight off center of the pivot point of the motor. I guess its a matter of just how unbalanced it is and if its dangerous...

I will say my 2010 has zero vibration, shifter is a little sloppy though.

The shifter isnt mounted directly to the trans on these so you shouldnt feel a lot of vibration, but I'm sure some do have a bit of imbalance from the engine or clutch.

Did you notice it before you had the work done? Maybe they put it on a lift and bent the exhaust or something else in the drivetrain thats now making contact with the body.

In neutral, you can see the shifter vibrating, its that noticeable...

Thinking back, I cant remember if there was vibration or not. Its not a vibration in the body, only in the shifter. if you press the shifter forward into gear, you feel it more than if you shift into gear and just rest your hand on it.

Now I'm getting worried that something is wrong if multiple people are saying they have zero vibration...

In neutral, you can see the shifter vibrating, its that noticeable...

Thinking back, I cant remember if there was vibration or not. Its not a vibration in the body, only in the shifter. if you press the shifter forward into gear, you feel it more than if you shift into gear and just rest your hand on it.

Now I'm getting worried that something is wrong if multiple people are saying they have zero vibration...

Vibrations are weird and can manifest in all different places, the engine/trans mounts should absorb most of it but sometimes a bracket, harness or something attached to the engine/trans is making contact with the body or shifter somewhere and transferring the vibration. The shifters on these are part mounted to the body with a rubber mount and I was surprised how it had little vibration/movement compared to other cars I had with the shifter mounted directly to the trans.

Honestly I never really tried to feel any vibration, I'm going for a ride later so I'll see if I feel anything at 5000rpm in the shifter.

I have slight vibration, it's normal. I can't feel the entire rotating mass in my floor board though headscratch.gif . I bet everyone at 6k rpm+ has a slight vibration with the engine roaring at wot. I hit 140-150 for a touch the other day and it was smooth as butter and very confident (not sure if I noticed any vibration except from my heart).

I drove a while today and while there is some vibration if I hold the shifter at 5000 or so rpm, its not enough that I would even notice it if I wasnt looking for it.

I would let a dealer tech that is familiar with these take it for a ride and see what he says.

I drove a while today and while there is some vibration if I hold the shifter at 5000 or so rpm, its not enough that I would even notice it if I wasnt looking for it.

I would let a dealer tech that is familiar with these take it for a ride and see what he says.

Drove her about 100 miles today - vibration is more noticeable on the 1 and 2 gears, 3 is smoother, still have some 4-5-6 but a lot less noticeable. It has prob. always been there but just noticing it as I'm opening her up, trying to read every bump, knock, etc and reading the horror stories online about clutches, transmission, etc. - I dont want another lemon or disappointment (and so far, this has been nothing but fantastic, even with the paint).

1st gear I can light up no problem if I mash the gas, 2nd though I'm not getting as much power as I would think I would be getting at 3k rpm - start feeling it more around 3.5k or so and by then I'm already doing 35 mph and moving too fast to put rubber on the road.

Also, coming off and on the gas in cruising speeds, the see-saw motion of the engine coming off gas and back on is normal, right? Never felt that on my 400hp 335 auto.

In 3rd from a rolling start and I mash the gas, the SC is definitely kicking up - and I'm assuming its the same in 4th, but have only done that on the freeway so I guess I'm alright. Maybe as I break her in more, I'll feel more oomph. She is only at 400 after all.

Also noticing that I really have to slip the clutch to get her going in 2nd from a dead stop or up a hill only doing 10-15mph (which isn't very often, but it has happened). Again, been a while since I've had a 6 speed, and the last car to have it (a 350z) had the absolute worst transmission ever - it was like a race car and the clutch was on/off - there was absolute no leeway in the engagement point (unlike the GT which is soooo much easier - but also has a little bit more vague engagement point). After lemon-ing that and getting the independent inspection back listing the amount of problems it had on top of the engine failures (bad clutch, f'd up second and reverse gears, tire feathering, etc.) I worry about everything related to the transmission. Again, noob apologies all around.

Drove her about 100 miles today - vibration is more noticeable on the 1 and 2 gears, 3 is smoother, still have some 4-5-6 but a lot less noticeable. It has prob. always been there but just noticing it as I'm opening her up, trying to read every bump, knock, etc and reading the horror stories online about clutches, transmission, etc. - I dont want another lemon or disappointment (and so far, this has been nothing but fantastic, even with the paint). Is it still there when you push the clutch in in these gears/at this speed?

1st gear I can light up no problem if I mash the gas, 2nd though I'm not getting as much power as I would think I would be getting at 3k rpm - start feeling it more around 3.5k or so and by then I'm already doing 35 mph and moving too fast to put rubber on the road. Yes, the 5.4L 4V likes to rev. I bet it still moves out, though!

Also, coming off and on the gas in cruising speeds, the see-saw motion of the engine coming off gas and back on is normal, right? Never felt that on my 400hp 335 auto. Because your 335 had a lot less torque, was AWD, and the engine/pistons/rotating mass was physically smaller and inherently different in "balance" from a V8. BMW might also use more compliant motor-mounts. American V8's torque. That is why you see on cars without tubular or very stiff suspension on slicks lift 1 front wheel higher than the other.

In 3rd from a rolling start and I mash the gas, the SC is definitely kicking up - and I'm assuming its the same in 4th, but have only done that on the freeway so I guess I'm alright. Maybe as I break her in more, I'll feel more oomph. She is only at 400 after all. It's RPM dependant. Not gear or speed.

Also noticing that I really have to slip the clutch to get her going in 2nd from a dead stop I have heard it's even harder in 6th.or up a hill only doing 10-15mph (which isn't very often, but it has happened). Again, been a while since I've had a 6 speed, and the last car to have it (a 350z) had the absolute worst transmission ever - it was like a race car and the clutch was on/off - there was absolute no leeway in the engagement point (unlike the GT which is soooo much easier - but also has a little bit more vague engagement point). I drove a 370Z and hated the clutch. On/Of is crap. It's hard to launch a high-hp car with an on/off clutch. Ever drive some of those 700+whp civic's? I have, but the one I drove had an awesome (and expensive...) clutch. My friend's 5-puck in his 450whp SRT-4 was a PITA. He would stall it from time to time. On/Off sucks (he was awesome at the strip and SCCA, not a noob).After lemon-ing that and getting the independent inspection back listing the amount of problems it had on top of the engine failures (bad clutch, f'd up second and reverse gears, tire feathering, etc.) I worry about everything related to the transmission. Again, noob apologies all around.

The TR6060 is hella tough. However, to make it hella tough, gears were widened, shafts thickened, and syncro's thinned (neccessitated by gears being widened). If it's not grinding, your not going to break it. If it is grinding, and it's not your fault. Take it to the dealer or try another fluid. The TR6060 is TOUGH. It goes in Vipers. Cars that rutinely see 1000+whp/wtq.

Glad to hear it.

My 335 was RWD, not AWD - but yes - inline 6 aluminum block vs the 'stang's v8 would mean a lot more weight. I'm more concerned with hearing/feeling a tiny thump/bump when on the freeway at 70 when going on/off throttle quickly - difference between the cars beyond the mentioned above was the automatic transmission. Just covering bases that the car is acting normally.

Vibration is still present whether clutch is in/out in any gear - but as I said - over the 100 miles drive, it was less noticeable throughout the entire drive and came and went.

Ill just keep an eye on it and go from there. Thanks all!

Archived