TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Trying to figure out what's wrong. Need help!

bpmurr

As many of you know I got my GT500 back last Friday after getting the McLeod RST clutch and flywheel installed by my dealer. Shorty there after I started to hear noises at low RPMs 1400-1700. I'm not sure if I would call it grinding or chatter but it's pretty noticable both inside and outside of the car. If you stay out of that RPM range the car seems fine. I don't feel any extra vibration on the clutch pedal or shifter. A friend of mine put it up on a lift and we checked it out last night. First of all he said the dealer did a crap job of reinstalling everything. They beat the floor up pretty good putting the trans back in. The drive shaft feels like it's got some play to it. I'm not sure if it's suppose to or not. Needless to say I'm pretty upset given I had the car in there for a month only for it to still have issues. Any thoughts out there?

As many of you know I got my GT500 back last Friday after getting the McLeod RST clutch and flywheel installed by my dealer. Shorty there after I started to hear noises at low RPMs 1400-1700. I'm not sure if I would call it grinding or chatter but it's pretty noticable both inside and outside of the car. If you stay out of that RPM range the car seems fine. I don't feel any extra vibration on the clutch pedal or shifter. A friend of mine put it up on a lift and we checked it out last night. First of all he said the dealer did a crap job of reinstalling everything. They beat the floor up pretty good putting the trans back in. The drive shaft feels like it's got some play to it. I'm not sure if it's suppose to or not. Needless to say I'm pretty upset given I had the car in their for a month only for it to still have issues. Any thoughts out there?

The work should be warrantied. I would take it back and see what they say, it could be someone screwed up and they'll notice what the problem is and correct quickly. If anything it will be documented that there was an issue they could have corrected and they'll be liable in the even of some real development down the road.

The work should be warrantied. I would take it back and see what they say, it could be someone screwed up and they'll notice what the problem is and correct quickly. If anything it will be documented that there was an issue they could have corrected and they'll be liable in the even of some real development down the road.

I wonder if you could be getting some vibration noise from the drive line. If the tech did make a white mark on the drive line and the bolt up connections, then he would not of been able to put it back in the same exact spot. I watched my tech mark mine and I asked him about it and he said that the drive line needs to go back in the exact spot that it came out of....or it might vibrate.

The chatter that you are hearing is to be expected. When I had my RST installed, Ricardo from GTR told me to expect it and keep the RPMs a little higher to avoid. It will not do any damage anything and is a nice reminder not to lug your engine.

The chatter that you are hearing is to be expected. When I had my RST installed, Ricardo from GTR told me to expect it and keep the RPMs a little higher to avoid. It will not do any damage anything and is a nice reminder not to lug your engine.

When I'm not excelerating I'm usually just in or just below that range. You're saying the guy is telling you to keep your RPMs @2K?

I wonder if you could be getting some vibration noise from the drive line. If the tech did make a white mark on the drive line and the bolt up connections, then he would not of been able to put it back in the same exact spot. I watched my tech mark mine and I asked him about it and he said that the drive line needs to go back in the exact spot that it came out of....or it might vibrate.

I used to always put a pin punch mark on both flanges to match the driveshaft back up when reinstalling.

ALWAYS.....just in case.

Phill

I took the car to the dealer for them to listen to it during my lunch. It only seems to happen in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gears. The tech said it might be the RST clutch vibrating. The OEM had springs in it while the RST doesn't he said. They are going to look at it next Thursday but in the meantime they said it's safe to drive. Just embarrassingly noisy since this tends to happen in parking lots and other areas with people around. I shouldn't have to keep the car over 2K+ all the time not to hear noises. The car sounds like a big old truck driving around.

I just talked with McLeod and they said it could be the clutch causing the noise. Ford does go out of their way to engineer the clutch to make minimal noise under heavy load. Basically I have to drive around it which would have been good to know prior to purchase. :(

I talked with Lee over at McLeod. He said that some of their units will make the noise like I'm describing. He gave me a few options.

1) To drive around it which isn't going to work for me. One of the biggest things I noticed between my 2005 GT and my 2010 GT500 is how quiet the driveline is. Which is a pretty big deal on a daily driver.

2) Put a sprung hub on the unit. However, I'd have to pull it, send it back, with no real idea as to how long the car will be down. I asked if he was interested in making a unit catered to NVH. However, at this time he said it didn't think he could cater to a niche market. I did tell him that with the 2010 and 2011 GT500 he'd find an ower base that would be interested in that. Most likely with a 2011 GT unit as well.

3) A refund

Right now I'm going to go the refund route. While I could tell both Lethal and McLeod weren't really happy with me. I do appreciate the fact that they stand by their product enough to give me a full refund on the parts. It's easy for any company to make a sale it's how they stand behind you during problems that sets the good companies apart. More then I can say for Ford who left me high and dry.

I talked with Lee over at McLeod. He said that some of their units will make the noise like I'm describing. He gave me a few options.

1) To drive around it which isn't going to work for me. One of the biggest things I noticed between my 2005 GT and my 2010 GT500 is how quiet the driveline is. Which is a pretty big deal on a daily driver.

2) Put a sprung hub on the unit. However, I'd have to pull it, send it back, with no real idea as to how long the car will be down. I asked if he was interested in making a unit catered to NVH. However, at this time he said it didn't think he could cater to a niche market. I did tell him that with the 2010 and 2011 GT500 he'd find an ower base that would be interested in that. Most likely with a 2011 GT unit as well.

3) A refund

Right now I'm going to go the refund route. While I could tell both Lethal and McLeod weren't really happy with me. I do appreciate the fact that they stand by their product enough to give me a full refund on the parts. It's easy for any company to make a sale it's how they stand behind you during problems that sets the good companies apart. More then I can say for Ford who left me high and dry.

Man this reads like the "perils of Pauline"--pretty sad with a new car.So what will you do now??

*Most high performance clutches / racing clutches aren't friendly to dd from my experience. Ford really did a bang up job on making these (10/11) clutches easily driveable and supposedly good for around 800ish hp. But.....yours failed early, so now I'm trying to put myself in your shoes.

If you are willing to swap your pulley to stock and keep it stock for the first 12k miles for the new clutch warranty, or do the swap if you ever have another clutch problem: Then I'd take the refund and get a warranted 10/11 clutch from Ford.

If your keeping the after market pulley or don't want to swap it: I'd take the refund. Buy one of the other aftermarket clutches others seem pleased with (since the issue with Ford on your stock clutch, I'd still go aftermarket). There was at least one other clutch you conteplated before you made this purchase if I remember. Good luck man.

I took my car over to JJ at Woodbine Motorsports tonight. He drove the car and it made the noise for him. JJ didn't think that was normal aftermarket clutch noise by any means. He put it up on a lift and did the following.

-checked the transmission fluid and it was full

-checked to make sure things were tight

-looked in the bell housing with a fiber optic camera to see if anything stuck out but it seemed to be ok

-checked around the back of the engine bay to see if there was any issues

-as for the rough install he said that it wasn't too bad, it's hard to get these transmissions out without hitting the tunnel a little bit, in all honesty he probably would have dinged it up a little himself

He noticed that the shifter is really stiff when the car is on but not in motion. It was a struggle to get it into gear. However, in motion or when the car is off it shifts fine. The clutch pedal seemed fine to him and the clutch fully engages. Needless to say he is stumped and said to take it back to the dealer, so it's off to the dealer on Thursday to get torn down again...

Archived