TEAM SHELBY FORUM

My WHEEL BALANCING Dilemna!!!!!!

Okay....went through a ricer tuner shop...ordered Nittos for my stock rims. They mount and balance them Wednesday....I take the car out and I am getting a shimmy in the steering wheel when I hit 60. Okay, I call them and the owner says to bring it in Thursday.....which I do.

I take the car...drive it....and still a shimmy...but not AS much. I'm thinking, eh...I'm being OCD and have my Dad drive the car. Nope, I'm right...the car has a vibration in the wheel. well, to backtrack, when I first noticed the shimmy and called them I say that my friend says I was supposed to get a high speed balance. He goes, oh yeah....we do those.

Alright, so back to today, after my Dad drives the car....I figure, eff it I'll bring it to my dealer and make an appointment. But damn, my dwealer is so far, I'll call a dealer closer to me. This service manager goes..."we don't do warranty work" I go ..I don't want warranty work, I need my wheels balanced. he says they don't do that. Fine. I bring the car to Goodyear and my wheels don't fit their machine.

Well, I call the ricer shop and the owner says he wants to make things right. I asked him what he did today. he says because the shimmy was in the steering wheel he only re-balanced the front wheels and they were off by 3/4 of a bar. I go, why didn't you do the backs, anyways.

Well, I was pretty livid. But, after talking to my brother he said to give this guy one more shot to make things right.

Alright, after all this I shoot over to my neighborhood car meet....all classic cars. Guys are like...well, maybe this and that is wrong with your car. I'm like, Dude, when I had the stock tires on the car was FINE..the wheels aren't balanced. well, one guy...who claims to have owned an auto repair shop for 30 years points out these yellow dots on my tires and says the valve stems are supposed to be directly opposite these dots, which they aren't. I asked EVERYONE...and noone has heard of such things.

Well, anyways...if anyone has any comments or whatnot...please add to this...lol

I am quite stressed as I have never had problems getting wheels balanced. Also, does anyone know offhand the torque value for our lugnuts?

Thanks

Okay....went through a ricer tuner shop...ordered Nittos for my stock rims. They mount and balance them Wednesday....I take the car out and I am getting a shimmy in the steering wheel when I hit 60. Okay, I call them and the owner says to bring it in Thursday.....which I do.

I take the car...drive it....and still a shimmy...but not AS much. I'm thinking, eh...I'm being OCD and have my Dad drive the car. Nope, I'm right...the car has a vibration in the wheel. well, to backtrack, when I first noticed the shimmy and called them I say that my friend says I was supposed to get a high speed balance. He goes, oh yeah....we do those.

Alright, so back to today, after my Dad drives the car....I figure, eff it I'll bring it to my dealer and make an appointment. But damn, my dwealer is so far, I'll call a dealer closer to me. This service manager goes..."we don't do warranty work" I go ..I don't want warranty work, I need my wheels balanced. he says they don't do that. Fine. I bring the car to Goodyear and my wheels don't fit their machine.

Well, I call the ricer shop and the owner says he wants to make things right. I asked him what he did today. he says because the shimmy was in the steering wheel he only re-balanced the front wheels and they were off by 3/4 of a bar. I go, why didn't you do the backs, anyways.

Well, I was pretty livid. But, after talking to my brother he said to give this guy one more shot to make things right.

Alright, after all this I shoot over to my neighborhood car meet....all classic cars. Guys are like...well, maybe this and that is wrong with your car. I'm like, Dude, when I had the stock tires on the car was FINE..the wheels aren't balanced. well, one guy...who claims to have owned an auto repair shop for 30 years points out these yellow dots on my tires and says the valve stems are supposed to be directly opposite these dots, which they aren't. I asked EVERYONE...and noone has heard of such things.

Well, anyways...if anyone has any comments or whatnot...please add to this...lol

I am quite stressed as I have never had problems getting wheels balanced. Also, does anyone know offhand the torque value for our lugnuts?

Thanks

Wheels need to be balanced on a roadforce machine and 100 ftlbs the toque for the lugnuts...

It may be an tire issue rather than a balance issue.

+1

you can balance over and over, even roadforce will not fix a tire that is out of round because it will be perfectly balanced but every revolution the high spot on the tire

will hit the pavement and you will feel / see it on the steering wheel. Need to have them look at it will spinning on the balance machine, on my new stock tire from the factory your could see the tire going up and down. Its definitely worth checking.

And yes some companies paint dots on the tires to align with the valve stem,

Phil

I had a similar issue when I first mounted tires on my CS69s, which are also 9.5 in. wide. In spite of being balanced on a RoadForce machine, I had a slight shimmy issue after the first balance attempt. But they got it right the second time.

The lining up dots to the valve stem does not always work, everyone use to tell you to do this before roadforcing machines came along. You NEED to take it to a shop that either has a Hunter or John Beam roadforce balance machine. If they don't have one, don't waste your time there. Roadforce matches the high spot on the tire to the low spot on the rim, this is why you want to roadforce.

Also, as of the shop that said they could balance your tires, they are full of poop, most all new balancers can balance up to 24 inch tires easy, they just didn't deal with it.

Thanks guys....so here is my update. Turns out, the front passenger tire with the bubble in the sidewall of my stock tire had a dent on the inside of the rim. he had me in the garage to show me. He says this is commmon with NYC driving....gotta love this shithole....eh...world's greatest city I live in. Anyways, he's like worst case scenario he will have to send it out to get fixed...takes a couple of days ...BUT, he compensated for the ding with weights...etc. etc. SO, I am driving the car...I pinch her a few times and she feels good. BUT...and here is where my OCD steps in....lol.....and I KNOW it is because with the Nittos you feel everything...so yeah, i can feel EVERYTHING.....but no shimmy in the steering wheel. I had her at 80 and 90...and yeah, I can feel some vibration..hell, my stick shift vibrates...lol.

Anyways, I call my brother...he's like....you got mad at this guy but he ended up making it right. BUT, hahaha...my Dad is like...how come it took him 3 times to get the balance right. The bubble in the original tire is a clue to pay closer attention to that rim.

Well, anyways, my brother is like, next time you use this guy he is gonna treat you extra special...lol

And, on a side note, meeting up with some Mustang guys tonight for drinks. One of the guys....kinda cute, btw...hahaha...I am thinking of asking him to take my car for a spin...with me in the car..of course...to make sure everything feels alright.,

Am I being too anal????

Melissa

BTW....he did have the Road Force machinery

• 2 months later...

The dot on tire represents the high spot (weight of the tire) typically, but not always. The manufacturer will have to confirm this. The marking by a dot was to help with balancing so the dot was to be placed at the valve stem as the wheel is typically lighter at this spot, or this was the case years ago. Newer quality wheels rarely have this issue and balanced so the dot more often then not these days has no importance when mounting the tire.

I recently had issue with the balance of my new wheels and tires. After letting NTB attempt to balance the wheels three times with no success (I had vibration in the steering from 40mph on up.) I took it to Discount Tire who got the balance right on the first shot. Each wheel was between a 3/4oz. to 1oz. off balance. It cost me another $40 to get it right but it was worth it to have it right. Point being, regardless of the tools and process used to balance if the equipment is not calibrated or the goofball using the equipment doesn't know what they are doing then it doesn't matter how many time they try, they are not going to get it right assuming the wheel and tire are undamaged.