TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Rear End Troubles

Mustang5

Hi Guys, I have noticed that after drag racing my, car the rubber build up in the left wheel well is significantly greater then the right. I am wondering if the posi traction is not working properly or would this be considered normal. I appreciate any help. By the way I recently had 3.73 gears installed by a reputable shop.

I'm not aware of any kit but I can't resist to ask how you like your 3.73s as I have been recently considering the same gearset. I do a lot of highway driving though as my girl is my daily driver.

Hi Tick Tock, I love the 3.73's. The car drives better in every way. It all but eliminates the clutch chatter that most of us have experienced. It really wakes the car up. As far as highway driving goes very little difference. If your concerned about gas mileage, I would say you might lose 1 mpg if that. Hope that helps.

Hi Guys, I have noticed that after drag racing my, car the rubber build up in the left wheel well is significantly greater then the right. I am wondering if the posi traction is not working properly or would this be considered normal. I appreciate any help. By the way I recently had 3.73 gears installed by a reputable shop.

Since the natural tendency is to spin the right rear in the absence of some form of limited slip, if you have lots of rubber built up on the left I would think you're OK. If it were the other way around I would be more concerned. Why not go to a stretch of light colored pavement, do a nice burnout, and examine your "accomplishment?" And/or have someone observe the event and look for differences left to right. BTW, how much did it cost to change gears?

Since the natural tendency is to spin the right rear in the absence of some form of limited slip, if you have lots of rubber built up on the left I would think you're OK. If it were the other way around I would be more concerned. Why not go to a stretch of light colored pavement, do a nice burnout, and examine your "accomplishment?" And/or have someone observe the event and look for differences left to right. BTW, how much did it cost to change gears?

Hi, I think your right. Next chance I get I'll do a nice burn out and examine the result. Hopefully two nice black stripes.

Any way you buy the gears (I used Ford Motorsport Gears) from Blue Oval Industries or any of several other venders for about $179 plus tax if applicable and shipping. I have put 3.73 gears in two different GT500's. The first time I had my local dealer do it and they charged around $750 for the install. The second time I had a local repair shop do the install and they charged me $400. I think you'll find that is about the normal range for prices.

I hope that helps.

The rear-ends in most production cars rely on a friction type of coupling, whether this be clutches, or an Auburn cone, or another contraption. What this means is that when 1 wheel spins faster than the other to a certain point, the rear end will "lock" up. One tire will ALWAYS roast harder than the other. Sometimes more, sometimes less, but always different.

Power-Trax, Detroit Lockers, full spools, etc. will burn 'em equally hard, but are not nearly as street friendly with exception to the power-trax (Spelling may be wrong).

Hi Tick Tock, I love the 3.73's. The car drives better in every way. It all but eliminates the clutch chatter that most of us have experienced. It really wakes the car up. As far as highway driving goes very little difference. If your concerned about gas mileage, I would say you might lose 1 mpg if that. Hope that helps.

Awesome! That helps a lot! Thank you :)

Archived