TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Electric Steering Conversion

Thinking about the differences between the 2010 and 2011. Would it make sense for those of us who bought the 2010's to try and free up some HP by converting to the 2011 electric assisted steering setup? what is involved and would it be prohibitively expensive?

IMO, the H.P. gained would not be worth the work and hassle of doing the conversion, if it could be done at all.

I don't believe the conversion would be as simple as swapping parts. Its my understanding that the eletric assist was done more as a weight savings effort then for a power gain. I would worry you would loose some if not all of the steering feedback you have in the convetional set-up. There is a lot of techno wizardry in the 2011 to minimize the lose of steering feedback.

I don't believe the conversion would be as simple as swapping parts. Its my understanding that the eletric assist was done more as a weight savings effort then for a power gain. I would worry you would loose some if not all of the steering feedback you have in the convetional set-up. There is a lot of techno wizardry in the 2011 to minimize the lose of steering feedback.

I also believe it ties in to the advance trac system and is pretty wired in to the cars computers. I am guessing the 2010 computers are not compatible.

Its nice to lose a hydraulic pump, lines and cooler, hardly worth the effort for the HP gain IMO. Not to mention if its electric its going to work the alternator harder so I'm not so sure it will save any horsepower.

Plus I'm sure its speed sensitive and tied into the car's computer anyhow.

i have the 11'..the steering is based on car speed..it adjusts accordingly to it. loose for slow, and gets tighter as you speed up. So yes, its tied to the PCM. The front suspension was also reworked to shave weight, make it better and also to accommodate the EPAS. When i do my HE and RAD changeout, i'll take some better pics' of it all and post. May be a while tho...but here's a few teasers..

post-8639-12786233175_thumb.jpg

post-8639-127862338811_thumb.jpg

post-8639-12786233175_thumb.jpg

post-8639-127862338811_thumb.jpg

Thinking about the differences between the 2010 and 2011. Would it make sense for those of us who bought the 2010's to try and free up some HP by converting to the 2011 electric assisted steering setup? what is involved and would it be prohibitively expensive?

As some have already mentioned, it's not a stand-alone system. It requires PCM input/output as it is 'programmable'.

Phill

i have the 11'..the steering is based on car speed..it adjusts accordingly to it. loose for slow, and gets tighter as you speed up. So yes, its tied to the PCM. The front suspension was also reworked to shave weight, make it better and also to accommodate the EPAS. When i do my HE and RAD changeout, i'll take some better pics' of it all and post. May be a while tho...but here's a few teasers..

In those pics it also looks like they added an extra brace up front, or maybe its just a skid guard for the new rack, the electric R&P looks pretty big.

Or maybe that brace is one of the new things they added to stiffen up the verts?

In those pics it also looks like they added an extra brace up front, or maybe its just a skid guard for the new rack, the electric R&P looks pretty big.

Or maybe that brace is one of the new things they added to stiffen up the verts?

i think it does both. didnt have a vert before, had a coupe, so cant compare. the EPAS seems big from the pic, but actually isnt all that massive...

i think it does both. didnt have a vert before, had a coupe, so cant compare. the EPAS seems big from the pic, but actually isnt all that massive...

I have an 2010 vert and it doesnt have that brace, wonder if the 2011 couples have that brace there?

The brace is new for 2011.

I can figure that out since I have a 2010 and its not there :) But is it on the 2011 coupes or just the verts? I'm trying to figure out the 'three big convertible stiffness improvements' for 2011. I know the rear bracing is bigger and they filled the windshield pillars with something, just wondering if the third is that front brace or if both 2011 coupes and verts got the brace.

Archived