TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2011 Heat Exchanger

10random

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have not been able to find any clarification of this quite yet. Yes the intercooler is larger, (You can phisically see the difference between the 2010 and 2011 engine bay. The intercooler takes up more room in the valley between the heads.) but is the HE? I haev been trying to find out this question but as of yet no proof.

There was a fellow I talked to at the St Ignace car show earlier this summer and the info he gave me was enough to sell the 10' and buy an 11' Of the differences was the intercooler. I was advised this is 50% larger than that of the 10'. He said there is a large difference in the heat soak between runs with the newer intercooler. He also said I would notice a big diff in amount of heat this intercooler and subsequent aluminum block would release compaired to the 10' I will find out.

Yes this is consistant with all the info I have read as well. It specifies INTERCOOLER. Do you guys think that Ford is so dumb as to call a HEAT EXCHANGER an INTERCOOLER because they think we are just idiots and dont know the difference?

Yes.

There was a fellow I talked to at the St Ignace car show earlier this summer and the info he gave me was enough to sell the 10' and buy an 11' Of the differences was the intercooler. I was advised this is 50% larger than that of the 10'. He said there is a large difference in the heat soak between runs with the newer intercooler. He also said I would notice a big diff in amount of heat this intercooler and subsequent aluminum block would release compaired to the 10' I will find out.

You must be a hardcore road course racer!

What circuits are you running?

Well there is the part number on the 2011, now I need to find where I put the 2010 part number. BTW the Ford parts diagram labels the heat exchanger as an "intercooler" :finger:

And btw that sales document says they used the H pipe for power improvement....really?

H-pipes sound better but produce slightly less power. Very slight.

Did some research on the intercooler/HE subject. Take a look at these illustrations.

First, BOTH the intercooler and HE are called INTERCOOLER. The part numbers are only partials on this site, and are the same for 2010 and 2011. BUT, if you look at the 2010 and 2011 HEAT EXCHANGER illustrations, the 2011 is noticibly thicker and more expensive. The 2010 and 2011 INTERCOOLERS are identical in appearance and price.

For reference, the intercoolers are part #6K775 and the heat excahngers are part #8K226.

The debate continues...

http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/CatalogResults.aspx?y=2011&m=Ford&mo=Mustang#&&/wEXAQUHaGlzdG9yeQUEdHJ1ZbeJQwrDnn1brKWLK+LH7viyyDAr

http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/CatalogResults.aspx?y=2010&m=Ford&mo=Mustang#&&/wEXAQUHaGlzdG9yeQUEdHJ1ZbeJQwrDnn1brKWLK+LH7viyyDAr

H-pipes sound better but produce slightly less power. Very slight.

Did some research on the intercooler/HE subject. Take a look at these illustrations.

First, BOTH the intercooler and HE are called INTERCOOLER. The part numbers are only partials on this site, and are the same for 2010 and 2011. BUT, if you look at the 2010 and 2011 HEAT EXCHANGER illustrations, the 2011 is noticibly thicker and more expensive. The 2010 and 2011 INTERCOOLERS are identical in appearance and price.

For reference, the intercoolers are part #6K775 and the heat excahngers are part #8K226.

The debate continues...

http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/CatalogResults.aspx?y=2011&m=Ford&mo=Mustang#&&/wEXAQUHaGlzdG9yeQUEdHJ1ZbeJQwrDnn1brKWLK+LH7viyyDAr'>http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/CatalogResults.aspx?y=2011&m=Ford&mo=Mustang#&&/wEXAQUHaGlzdG9yeQUEdHJ1ZbeJQwrDnn1brKWLK+LH7viyyDAr

http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/CatalogResults.aspx?y=2010&m=Ford&mo=Mustang#&&/wEXAQUHaGlzdG9yeQUEdHJ1ZbeJQwrDnn1brKWLK+LH7viyyDAr'>http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/CatalogResults.aspx?y=2010&m=Ford&mo=Mustang#&&/wEXAQUHaGlzdG9yeQUEdHJ1ZbeJQwrDnn1brKWLK+LH7viyyDAr

http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/CatalogResults.aspx?y=2011&m=Ford&mo=Mustang#

http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/CatalogResults.aspx?y=2010&m=Ford&mo=Mustang#

I HAVE A 2010 CAR AND NOW HAVE A 2011 HEAT EXCHANGER i BOUGHT FROM A TS MEMBER. CAN ANYONE tell me the length/ width/ height of the 2010 model so I CAN COMPARE IT WITH THE 2011/????

I HAVE A 2010 CAR AND NOW HAVE A 2011 HEAT EXCHANGER i BOUGHT FROM A TS MEMBER. CAN ANYONE tell me the length/ width/ height of the 2010 model so I CAN COMPARE IT WITH THE 2011/????

How much did you pay for it?

I have one up in the garage attic, may be able to measure it tomorrow.

In that most reports call it an "two row intercooler" I'd bet the farm it's the heat exchanger that has changed. The intercooler has remained pretty much the same other than dimension, since the 99 Lightning and is made by Garrett for Ford. It's pretty tight under the blower as it is, I can't imagine that they would have been able to double the size of the intercooler and still fit in the lower intake. Not to mention, it would make no sense to have the coolant pass twice through the intercooler before returning to the heat exchanger. You wouldn't gain anything from that and in most cases would actually increase the temps of the coolant. I remember reading a few threads back in the early Terminator days where people wanted to press the aftermarket into designing a more efficient intercooler than the one that came in the cars. Almost all of the replies were that the intercooler was already so efficient that there wouldn't be much to gain by trying to design a better one. The 03/04 intercooler was reported to be efficient to over 1000 HP.

On the other hand, the heat exchanger could have easily been increased in size and still fit without any change in design. The "two row" term is essentially describing a dual pass H/E that would allow the coolant to pass through it twice before returning to the intercooler, in theory cooling the coolant more efficiently.

They are talking about the up front heat exchanger. Some call it a heat exchanger and the one under the SC a intercooler. Some call the up front unit an intercooler and the one under the SC an aftercooler. Regardless of the name it's the one up front that is slightly larger. If you own a 2010 like I do the only route to go if you are going to replace the up front unit is to get a dual fan heat exchanger and be done forever. Total waste of money to buy a 2011 and put in there. Either way you have to take off the front end of the car to get at it so why half a$$ it. I've not done mine yet but I will in the fall when it's not 100f in the shade with 90% humidity here in Florida.

I wish someone could tell me what the coolant temps are aft the SC with the OEM HE.

With the dual fan it's about 22-25 degrees above ambiant. The dual fan also brings the temps back down almost immediately after you get back in the car after it being turned off for a 1/2 hour on a hot day.

I'm scared to think what the temps are with the OEM setup w/o any fans!

I've not done mine yet but I will in the fall when it's not 100f in the shade with 90% humidity here in Florida.

I live in Florida, too. Van installed his dual fan H/E and radiator last Friday. It's honestly a different car now. Instead of the power being off and on, it's always there now. Great mod! You will love it!

Dave

I live in Florida, too. Van installed his dual fan H/E and radiator last Friday. It's honestly a different car now. Instead of the power being off and on, it's always there now. Great mod! You will love it!

Dave

"Van" installed it???

That phuker, he didn't install it for me! :rant2:

Ford parts catalog does show the heat exchanger as an "intercooler". It is different between the 2010 (7R3Z-8K226-A $661.35) and 2011 (BR3Z-8K226-A $726.23). Ford parts catalog shows what most think of as the intercooler as a "cooler asy - engine charge air" and it is the same since 2007 (7R3Z-6K775-AA $1,233.32).

How much did you pay for it?

I have one up in the garage attic, may be able to measure it tomorrow.

I paid $ 300 for the 2011 heat exchanger which measures 2" wide 6" in height 26" in length and has the part # BR3V-8K229-AB.

PLEASE ADVISE SIZE OF THE 2010.

My Aeroforce guage and Roush vent pod should be in early next week. (Thanks STIG for the advice on these) I hope to install them next weekend. I will let you guys know what I find out. Bottom line is that the new HE will keep intake temps down or it wont. My guess is that it will do a good job when the car is moving say freeway speeds but I bet when driving slow or stopped it wont be much better than the 2010 HE. Only time will tell.

• 2 weeks later...

From the measuring I can do while it is still in the car, 26x1.25x6". It would look like the 2011 heat exchanger is thicker than the 2010 which would match up with the dual pass marketing. I really don't see Ford changing to a taller or longer setup, since it would stretch behind the lower opening. It would be nice if anyone could measure their 2010 heat exchanger that is out of the car.

FYI, the part numbers stamped on a part will often differ from the dealer part number used to order the part.

From the measuring I can do while it is still in the car, 26x1.25x6". It would look like the 2011 heat exchanger is thicker than the 2010 which would match up with the dual pass marketing. I really don't see Ford changing to a taller or longer setup, since it would stretch behind the lower opening. It would be nice if anyone could measure their 2010 heat exchanger that is out of the car.

FYI, the part numbers stamped on a part will often differ from the dealer part number used to order the part.

I promise to go measure mine up in the attic as soon as Kim moves her car. Give me a couple hours...

2010 heat exchanger dimensions:

26.5" x 6" x 1.25"

I just looked at the previous thread and see that the dimensions are basically the same. I guess this would mean the dual-pass design is simply an internal change.

All the more reason to go with a unit from Van.

I just looked at the previous thread and see that the dimensions are basically the same. I guess this would mean the dual-pass design is simply an internal change.

Zero desire to go that route, but dual pass and 3/4" is a decent improvement over the old.

Thank you for double checking by measuring yours.

Ah! However, however....Canadaguy measures the 2011 at 26x6x2...so is the 2011 compared to the 2010 thicker, or not?? The dimensions are not the same.

Zero desire to go that route, but dual pass and 3/4" is a decent improvement over the old.

Thank you for double checking by measuring yours.

If I lived in Seattle I'd tend to agree the dual pass and 3/4" thinkness is enough. But in TX summers it will fall way short compared to the substantial increase in size and dual fan design offered by the Revan unit.

My biggest concern with an OEM design is how long it takes to recover after re-starting the car as this is when the temps sky rocket and you want to be below 140 deg to avoid timing retardation.

Archived