TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Chassis Stiffening

bradenbb

bradenbb,

I used Maximum Motorsports Subframe connectors on my 01 Mustang Cobra Convert. They are weld on, and they worked real good. Sorry can't help with the other parts you asked about.

Mike

Unless you are really beating on your car, you don't need additional bracing. The new chassis is very good unless you start launching high rpms with slicks.

IF you do add a rollbar, get padding on every part you can touch when seated. Too often, rollbars are installed and are more dangerous than beneficial when not properly padded.

Tom

I have the sub frame connectors and the difference is noticable. Creeks and groans dissappear. Yes this chassis is stiffer but going over RR tracks or speed bumps still racks the car. SFCs help. They also let you jack the car anywhere between the wheels. Makes things much easier.

Thanks for the responses. Its not so much that I beat the car its just I want it have the minimum creeks and groans especially over the next 10-20 yrs that I own it. Keep in mind, mine is a convertible and not as solid as the coupes. I am still not certain what should be done. If anyone really understands the frame and points of this car it would be very helpful to see what would be the best thing to try. The SFC make sense but they need to be welded on a vert.

Unless you are really beating on your car, you don't need additional bracing. The new chassis is very good unless you start launching high rpms with slicks.

IF you do add a rollbar, get padding on every part you can touch when seated. Too often, rollbars are installed and are more dangerous than beneficial when not properly padded.

Tom

Agreed 100%. Subrames aren't necessary on the S197 at all, regardless of the application. It's chassis is something like 30% stiffer than the SN-95's, according to the guys at Griggs.

My suggestion is to talk to John at Griggs Racing. Whether you spend any money with him or not, he'll point you in the right direction on which mods you ought to make.

Prior to SFCs, jacking one wheel could go up well over 10" before picking another wheel off the ground. After SFCs, less than 5"

That is a significant and measurable difference in body torsional rigidity. Griggs is right that the S197 is stiffer than prior Mustangs. SFCs still do a LOT for this unibody. Yes, they need to be welded in and are more complex in shape than previous Mustangs, more like a combination SFC and rocker panel brace on the SN95.

Archived