TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Fender Stripe Question

Witte 05

I noticed a lot of guys on here have a "rocker"/"shelby" 2 bar stripe on their front fenders angled towards the front bumper. Where can I get these? are they tape stripe or are most painting those on? I think it looks pretty sharpe but had not seen it anywhere till I joined this forum. Thanks!

The stripes are vinyl and I believe Roger was one of the first to start their use and sold them at one point but I believe he has stopped that. You can contact MrFarmdog on this forum and he can set you up with stripes in your choice of colors and there is a link below detailing the installation. Also attached is a portion of Roger's orignal post on how to install.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/44210-mrfarmdogs-fender-stripe-install-thread/page__p__729613__hl__fender%20stripe__fromsearch__1entry729613

FIA Stripes.pdf

FIA Stripes.pdf

Some like them - some hate them - other's just don't care. I personally appreciated the nod to the FIA cars which had fender stripes to identify the driver that was flying by the pits at 100+ mph and that someone thought to put something like that together for our Shelby cars today. Plus, they just look sharp on my car!

I don't understand why everyone with any model of car now wants "Grand Sport" stripes on their cars. Kinda like someone sticking Shelby badges on their Corvette.

:redcard:

Pit stripes have a history that pre-dates the Grand Sport, including being placed on the original Shelby race cars in the 60's. Having said that, I haven't had the urge to put them on my car either...

I tried these orange with "silver/white" reflective stripes, but agreed with my wife: a bit much, with all the other "decorations" on this car. Since the reflective silver/white trunk lid stripe blends in pretty good, I may try two silver/white reflective stripes on the fender.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

4717791209_6b42b5307a.jpg

Pit stripes have a history that pre-dates the Grand Sport, including being placed on the original Shelby race cars in the 60's. Having said that, I haven't had the urge to put them on my car either...

I don't think so. I believe the 1962 Corvette Grand Sport was where they started. This pre-dates the Shelby's.

I don't think so. I believe the 1962 Corvette Grand Sport was where they started. This pre-dates the Shelby's.

1963 Chevrolet Corvette Grand Sport - Grand Performance

Imitation Is The Sincerest Form Of Flattery.

From the November, 2000 issue of Vette

By PJ Rentie

Photography by David Newhardt

1963 Chevrolet Corvette Grand Sport Performance Blue Exterior Front View

Once in a great while, an automobile manufacturer produces a car that is so fast, so powerful, so "bad" looking, that it very nature could be described in one word: evil. The 1963 Corvette Grand Sport is such a car.

The '63 Grand Sport was born of Zora Arkus-Duntov's yearning to beat Europe's endurance racing elite, at the ultimate endurance race-LeMans-with an all-American race car. With inferred approval from Chevrolet Division's then-chief, "Bunkie" Knudsen, work was begun on an ultra-lightweight version of the '63 Sting Ray, complete with its four-wheel independent suspension. The result was a tubular-framed racer with a 377 cubic-inch, all-aluminum small-block and an almost paper-thin but OE-appearing Sting Ray body shell that weighed in, race-ready, at a svelte 2,000 pounds.

The original plan was to unleash 125 of these monsters (the number necessary to "homologate" them) on the unsuspecting hordes of Cobras and Ferraris, vanquishing them in the name of a Manufacturer's Championship. Only five examples had been constructed when orders came down from the GM executive suites killing the program, and with it, all direct GM participation in racing. All five original Grand Sports survive to this day, are the highly coveted centerpieces of collections, and are each worth well in excess of a million dollars.

The Corvette Grand Sport was a bust, However:

carroll_shelby_3_cobras.jpg?w=600&h=440

At least one Cobra had the stripes for the 1963 season

i was at cars & coffee last saturday and there was a older gent asking about the red fender stripes on the SGT he asked if they were paint . i told him they were vinyl . he asked me if i would be interested in putting them on his car . his car turned out to be a mercedes . i thought he was joking but he was serious . go figure

JIM

The Corvette Grand Sport was a bust, However:

At least one Cobra had the stripes for the 1963 season

So, even though they were first used on the Corvette (and the reason why they're called "Grand Sport" stripes), they don't count because they didn't actually race them? Ok... whatever you say boss.

So, even though they were first used on the Corvette (and the reason why they're called "Grand Sport" stripes), they don't count because they didn't actually race them? Ok... whatever you say boss.

The only people who call them "Grand Sport Stripes" are Corvette Fans. I posted a picture of an actual car campaigned in 1963 with PIT Stripes.

Fact of the matter, is both Corvettes and Cobras ran Pit stripes in "some " events in 1963, and I would imagine only the guys who were there really know who came up with the idea. Since I'm a BIG fan of Carroll Shelby and his cars, and this is a Shelby forum, I'll go with the Shelby PIT stripe idea and I'll display them on my car as a tribute

to a great man!

Boss

The only people who call them "Grand Sport Stripes" are Corvette Fans. I posted a picture of an actual car campaigned in 1963 with PIT Stripes.

Fact of the matter, is both Corvettes and Cobras ran Pit stripes in "some " events in 1963, and I would imagine only the guys who were there really know who came up with the idea. Since I'm a BIG fan of Carroll Shelby and his cars, and this is a Shelby forum, I'll go with the Shelby PIT stripe idea and I'll display them on my car as a tribute

to a great man!

Boss

+1

I was about to say basically the same thing.

to a great man!

Boss

+1 Good way to put it. Arguing over this is a waste of time!

Even though every car had a meatball number on them, FIA pit stripes were placed on cars in order to differentiate one team driver from the other as they raced by the pits, because it was found that the human eye could spot and capture a color over a number when the numbered object is moving at speed. One driver/car would get a set of one color stripes, and another would get a different color stripes so they could communicate to specific drivers via the chalkboard without confusing the other team driver. The use of the stripes faded away as the teams went to radio communication to speak the drivers.

I believe that Carroll's team started using the stripes in late 1962 at Riverside when the Cobra's were entered into races in order to shake them down during their development.

I know this has been discussed before. I believe there were different ways of using them also. Some cars used one 'hash' mark, while others used two. Some even had the stripes running over the hood like this one.

Teroldcobra05-1024.jpg

Besides, arguing over the originality of a stripe is like arguing over who used the Gumballs (aka Meatballs) on a car first- it's a freakin' number with a circle folks.

Also, if I'm not mistaken- there are still certain racing organizations using color and stripe designations- usually for novice or rookie drivers.

to a great man!

Boss

I think it's obvious where they came from since they were first used on the 'Vette in '62, not '63... and I've never heard the term "pit stripes" until now. These particular type of fender stripes have always been "GS Stripes".

Look at the picture of car 98 that you posted. Stripes from the hood to the rocker. That's not what people here are sticking on their cars. They're sticking these on their cars:

163gs.jpg

800px-1996_Chevrolet_Corvette_Grand_Sport.jpg

Fender Stripe History

Fender Stripes are also known as driver identification stripes or Federation Internationale de L’Automobile (FIA) stripes. In the 1960's the GT350s and other multicar teams would put different colored stripes on their cars so that at a quick glance the pit crews could distinguish which car was pitting (they couldn't always see the numbers). So, if you track your car (not drag racing) it does have meaning and legacy. Today many people are putting these on their cars to give it a sportier look.

I think it's obvious where they came from since they were first used on the 'Vette in '62, not '63... and I've never heard the term "pit stripes" until now. These particular type of fender stripes have always been "GS Stripes".

Look at the picture of car 98 that you posted. Stripes from the hood to the rocker. That's not what people here are sticking on their cars. They're sticking these on their cars:

163gs.jpg

I think you're missing the point . I'm not an expert on racing history....if you are , great! I've found a lot of photos of Shelby race cars from 1963, 64, 65 etc with "colored stripes" on the fender

I've not seen one pic of a corvette from that era with anything on the fenders and frankly, I don't give a flying crap if they had them. This is a Shelby forum where, if you haven't noticed, guys like me who think all things Shelby are damned near sacred hang out. I've got two silver stripes on the left front fender of my car in deference to the Shelby race cars of the 60's. If you like vettes, that's great! there are a lot of vette forums out there. If you want to come on here and post about vette history and how CSM dash plaques are worthless compared to aftermarket superchargers, you're either a troll or a trouble maker or both. Opinions are like A-holes and your welcome to yours, but if you're expecting to find agreement with anything even remotely anti Shelby, you're probably in the wrong place.

I think you're missing the point . I'm not an expert on racing history....if you are , great! I've found a lot of photos of Shelby race cars from 1963, 64, 65 etc with "colored stripes" on the fender

I've not seen one pic of a corvette from that era with anything on the fenders and frankly, I don't give a flying crap if they had them. This is a Shelby forum where, if you haven't noticed, guys like me who think all things Shelby are damned near sacred hang out. I've got two silver stripes on the left front fender of my car in deference to the Shelby race cars of the 60's. If you like vettes, that's great! there are a lot of vette forums out there. If you want to come on here and post about vette history and how CSM dash plaques are worthless compared to aftermarket superchargers, you're either a troll or a trouble maker or both. Opinions are like A-holes and your welcome to yours, but if you're expecting to find agreement with anything even remotely anti Shelby, you're probably in the wrong place.

Oh, so this isn't a car forum, it's a cheerleading squad? Check my sig... no 'Vette. Oh, and the picture I posted is a '62 'Vette with fender stripes. I'm only questioning paying homage to Shelby with stripes that mimic the Corvette Grand Sport Stripes. if you want to pay homage to Shelby's of yore, stick a stripe on the right fender behind the wheel well (like in your picture), not over the left wheel well. Your last post sounds alot like, "my mind's made up, don't confuse me with facts".

Oh, so this isn't a car forum, it's a cheerleading squad? Check my sig... no 'Vette. Oh, and the picture I posted is a '62 'Vette with fender stripes. I'm only questioning paying homage to Shelby with stripes that mimic the Corvette Grand Sport Stripes. if you want to pay homage to Shelby's of yore, stick a stripe on the right fender behind the wheel well (like in your picture), not over the left wheel well. Your last post sounds alot like, "my mind's made up, don't confuse me with facts".

Once again......I'm not an expert on racing history, and I have no problem admitting I'm wrong. So if you want to "confuse me with facts" then POST SOME!!!! You posted a picture of a '62 vette that looks like it was taken last month, that proves what???? I tried to research this before we ever started this debate and the closest thing to proof of who put stripes on race car fenders I was able to find was the pic I posted of Mr. Shelby's race cars taken AT THE TIME!!!

I've come across your posts in two different threads.....This was the first:

I'm not wrong since my post was my opinion. Again, this is my opinion, but the only "real" Shelby's are the Cobras and the Series 1's. A Mustang with a dash plaque means alot to some people. To me, it's just a Mustang with a dash plaque. I'd rather have the blower for the same money.

And this was the second:

I don't understand why everyone with any model of car now wants "Grand Sport" stripes on their cars. Kinda like someone sticking Shelby badges on their Corvette.

That being said, don't you think that's a little inflammatory to a bunch of guys that own Shelby's and put stripes on their cars for the reasons I've tried to explain to you.......and no this is not a "car forum", this is a site WHOLLY OWNED AND OPERATED by SHELBY AMERICAN for the express use of Shelby enthusiasts. There are a crapload of sites out there where you're more then welcome to bash Shelby's and our understanding of Shelby history and I'm sure there are plenty of guys on them that also don't own a Shelby car and don't understand why we do, that will agree with you. You probably won't find many on here!

I'm done wasting time on this!

Archived