TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Best way to get "The Man's" signature?

07SGT5687

So now that we have our SGT, I thought (like thousands of others) that it would be great to get Carroll Shelby's signature on the ol' passenger airbag cover/dash.

First, can anyone tell me where I can get a 'spare' airbag cover in the IUP color?

Second, can anyone recommend the best way to get his authentic signature on it? I don't mind making the donation. Just not sure what the proper procedure it to get it done.

Thanks, JR

So now that we have our SGT, I thought (like thousands of others) that it would be great to get Carroll Shelby's signature on the ol' passenger airbag cover/dash.

First, can anyone tell me where I can get a 'spare' airbag cover in the IUP color?

Second, can anyone recommend the best way to get his authentic signature on it? I don't mind making the donation. Just not sure what the proper procedure it to get it done.

Thanks, JR

JR, just go to " Carroll Shelby Foundation " and there is instructions on how to get Carrol's Autograph

Dave

you have the instructions on how to get the autograph - as for the airbag cover itself there are two approaches, remove your original & send it down (you may have a big hole in your dash for up to 6 weeks though) or go to your ford dealer and purchase a spare cover (approx $250cdn...probably much cheaper for you guys south of the border) and send it down, swapping it over on it's return.

I just took the second route & got the cover back in around 4 weeks...I know there's a how to swap them over on here somewhere but I documented my swap on another forum;

http://mustangcanada.com/forums/2005-2009-mustang/8459-passenger-airbag-cover-swap.html

• 4 weeks later...

$250 donation to get him to sign it? Second guessing this...

Thanks for the directions though.

Remember, the money goes to his "Childrens Charity." Pays for medical expenses for children- that families can't possible afford.

I don't know of any other person who has donated all of his funds from his signature to charity.

$40,000 give or take for the car? At Carroll's age I would do it sooner than later if you are. He and his wife Cleo are Amazing people.

I purchased the centre airvent section from my 2007 GT500 (where the dash plaque you can purchase goes) and sent it with four hats and a money order. A few week later it all came

back, autographed and a signed certificate for each item. Hats were $100.00 ea. then.

I'm not debating whether the donation is valid or worthwhile as far as donations go, just seemed a little stout. that plus $250 for the spare... $500 is a nice little mod nugget to play with... admittedly short term minded, but that's kind of how I roll!

Maybe I will do it though. Pissed me off to see all these other cars... V6 buckets, etc. that have his signature on the dash.

Anyone got a line on where I can get the airbag plate on the cheap? And do you 'clear' it or seal it afterwards to preserve it from sun fade and cleaning?

Well, you could go knock on his door and when he answers, just shove a sharpie in his face... :hysterical:

Let me know how that goes....

Look, he charges for his signature so that kids can live. Plus, people notice the signature BECAUSE he doesnt sign every car and part...In 10 years will you prefer to have 250.00 or his signature? Its a simple question. :salute:

Well, you could go knock on his door and when he answers, just shove a sharpie in his face... :hysterical:

Let me know how that goes....

Look, he charges for his signature so that kids can live. Plus, people notice the signature BECAUSE he doesnt sign every car and part...In 10 years will you prefer to have 250.00 or his signature? Its a simple question. :salute:

Geez, relax. I already said, I get it. I was JUST saying for my money, which isn't in endless supply, I might think about spending the $500 on performance parts first.

I GET IT. I APPRECIATE IT. I UNDERSTAND IT and I MIGHT EVEN DO IT. Sorry if i wasn't clear on that.

I was just crackin a funny...

You have to understand that if you do a search for CS signatures in the forum, this has been covered many times, and the cost of it has been complained by a few - lets just say a bit more harshly than yourself.

(Nope, Im not the "search the forum for that topic, its been covered already" guy, that title belongs to someone who's name escapes me, but drives a Grabber GT500 :hysterical3: )

That said, IMHO, you will kick yourself if you dont do it.

There have been a few events when he has gone car to car and signed them right there as a bonus, but I gotta think those days are gone.

I was at Terlingua 2008, and he walked down the row of cars and signed every one of them right there on the last morning of our get together. I actually passed on it, mainly because he signed the Terlingua diecast already for me, my car has his signature on the dash plaque I bought, and I had the chance to sit with him one night at his table for dinner. My thinking then was how could another signature make any my experience better and why be greedy? But in hindsight, I should have done it anyway. :hysterical:

Gotcha. I wasn't commenting on the cost as being worth it or not. Just not as valuable to me right now. And yes I agree in the investment value of it. If I was capable I'd have many more investments and I'd donate $250,000 to his charity, not just $250. But sadly, my measly means cannot support that. I fully understand the good he and his group can do by asking for these donations, though I am a bit torn on the thought that it essentially cuts out the 'everyman's' chance at getting one. But ultimately I agree with the good being done, being the greater good.

Btw. I am sold on doing it as I will likely not be able to attend any events he presides over. Just need to find me the spare cover now

Might wanna check eBay or maybe LKQonline.com.

LKQ has a lot of parts they pull off damaged cars and may have a passenger side airbag that did not deploy.

I mailed a poster photo of my car I got from the 45th, but forgot the disposable camera. :banghead:

Gotcha. I wasn't commenting on the cost as being worth it or not. Just not as valuable to me right now. And yes I agree in the investment value of it. If I was capable I'd have many more investments and I'd donate $250,000 to his charity, not just $250. But sadly, my measly means cannot support that. I fully understand the good he and his group can do by asking for these donations, though I am a bit torn on the thought that it essentially cuts out the 'everyman's' chance at getting one. But ultimately I agree with the good being done, being the greater good.

Btw. I am sold on doing it as I will likely not be able to attend any events he presides over. Just need to find me the spare cover now

Just take the part number of the air bag cover to your local Ford dealer and have them order one for you. Or you could PM Michael Morris and have him do it and have it shipped directly to you. It'll cost you about $120 +/- from the dealer for the extra air bag cover and when you get it changed out, you can sell your original one to recoup some of the cost. So you've dropped the cost well below the $500 original cost you thought you were looking at....oh, and the cost of the signature is tax deductible.

John

Just called the Ford Dealership by my work (don't often go there for a number of reasons)... $214.02. Called the Ford Dealership by my house, the one that houses the DMC Club meetings... $189.52 BEFORE discount... $25 bucks cheaper before any kind of discount at a different dealer... whats up with that?! Well then he applied a club discount I didn't know I had and got it for $135 flat. Thanks Phil Long! They'll have it for me when I come to the meeting next week!

Archived