TEAM SHELBY FORUM

oil change question

jsg1518

are we supossed to use 5w50 in our gt500's. I checked with mobil 1 and I cant find it, what are you guys doing(using).

I get my oil and filter from the Ford dealer. The part numbers are in your owners manual, order 7 quarts of oil, you will need 6.5 for the oil change.

I found that my dealer doesn't keep the oil in stock, it took about a week for them to get it.

ford dealer is the only place I know of to get it. Order it by the case when you find it :) The filters are at Wal Mart. Same one used by the SVT cobaras for years.

You might try checking all of your local Wal-Mart stores... We have 13 in our immediate area (Co. Springs and surrounding 'burbs).

I say that because I *thought* I saw Mobil-1 5wt/50 at Wally's World last time I was in there. My wife's Benz takes 0wt/40 which is darn near impossible to find at anyplace other than the MBZ dealership and one particular Wally's World here in Co. Springs carries it on occasion. Last time I in there looking for her oil, I'm *pretty* sure (not POSITIVE) that I spied 5wt/50 on the shelf. Real sure...but still not *positive*.

I'll double check for my own benefit and grab a couple of cases next time I see it, IF I see it since it appears to be so hard to find.

But then as I think about it, all of my oil changes are free as part of the after sales Phil Long Ford gives their customers.

Here it is free and every time I start the car the Drivers Information Center tells me it needs a oil change! I really need'a get off of my bigg butt and get'r done!

Procrastinator Maximus,

Phill

i'm also a Castrol man. However, be sure you use the Motorcraft filter...you don't want a 'ticker' like mine.

As a side note, i pulled the LF wheel off a couple of weeks ago for some detailing and there is pretty good access to the drain plug and filter, if you have any issues with jacking the car up and fitting underneeth.

One other thing...make sure you wrap your suspension with aluminum foil or an old rag. When you pull the filter, the oil will get all over the suspension members and you'll never get it all off.

SLC

I use pure virgin olive oil in my engine, which aint' easy to do because it's almost impossible to find a virgin anything living in So Cal. :hysterical:

You might try checking all of your local Wal-Mart stores... We have 13 in our immediate area (Co. Springs and surrounding 'burbs).

I say that because I *thought* I saw Mobil-1 5wt/50 at Wally's World last time I was in there. My wife's Benz takes 0wt/40 which is darn near impossible to find at anyplace other than the MBZ dealership and one particular Wally's World here in Co. Springs carries it on occasion. Last time I in there looking for her oil, I'm *pretty* sure (not POSITIVE) that I spied 5wt/50 on the shelf. Real sure...but still not *positive*.

I'll double check for my own benefit and grab a couple of cases next time I see it, IF I see it since it appears to be so hard to find.

But then as I think about it, all of my oil changes are free as part of the after sales Phil Long Ford gives their customers.

Here it is free and every time I start the car the Drivers Information Center tells me it needs a oil change! I really need'a get off of my bigg butt and get'r done!

Procrastinator Maximus,

Phill

Sorry, but that can't be right. As far as I know Mobil 1 does not make 5w50. We don't have many brand choices.

1. Ford

2.Castrol

3. Redline-new to market in 5W50

I believe that's it. We used to have Roush(Valvoline) but that is no longer produced. Try Moss Muscle for the Ford Racing Filter, don't remember their price but that's where I got mine.

I get my oil and filter from the Ford dealer. The part numbers are in your owners manual, order 7 quarts of oil, you will need 6.5 for the oil change.

I found that my dealer doesn't keep the oil in stock, it took about a week for them to get it.

I do the same.

Sorry, but that can't be right. As far as I know Mobil 1 does not make 5w50. We don't have many brand choices.

1. Ford

2.Castrol

3. Redline-new to market in 5W50

I believe that's it. We used to have Roush(Valvoline) but that is no longer produced. Try Moss Muscle for the Ford Racing Filter, don't remember their price but that's where I got mine.

I believe Mobile 1 does - primarily for the Canadian and EU markets. It can be found in the USA:

http://www.sparktecmotorsports.com/98hf24-gallon.html

gets pricey with the shipping...

So does smoking the tires @ 11.49

It's in stock, and if you have to have Mobil One one stop shopping.

I use Castrol Syntec 5w50. No problems.

I believe Mobile 1 does - primarily for the Canadian and EU markets. It can be found in the USA:

http://www.sparktecmotorsports.com/98hf24-gallon.html

Good find!!! So I was half right, don't believe you would ever find this at Walmart. I couldn't find this Mobil 1 when I changed my oil, last I had heard they were not making it in 5W50. Nice to know they are making it. Thanks for the link.

Archived