TEAM SHELBY FORUM

KR OEM hood on ebay...

Well all I can tell you is that the word is from people I spoke to at SAI is that there will be no more KRs.

Whether, they may make more in distant future....who knows. For now into the foreseeable future, the word is no more.

Moreover, last I heard SAI wasn't interested in doing any more "pre title" Shelbys. Too much of a headache.

They're interest is in post title programs and performance parts.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah. Ok I read the internet articles about the cost of the KR hood. Its very clear. The manufacture cost of the hood is $3800.00. Thats "cost" from the manufacture. That "cost" also doesn't include Shelby RD and development cost. That also doesn't include mark up for profit. The fact that the hood is now selling for $9800 seems reasonable if the "cost" of the hood from the Manufacturer is $3800 when you consider most retail mark up and in this situation SAI has development cost to recover to boot.

The fact that you can buy a KR hood that "fell off the truck" on ebay for $4000k is not a bench mark for the value of the hood. The value of the hood is what you have to pay to buy it legitimately through SAI.

Also, why some KR parts are available like the exhaust and other parts are not made available except to KR owners is beyond me. Frankly, I see nothing wrong with keeping some KR parts exclusive to KR owners. I also don't care if guys can get some KR parts that are avaialbe to improve their cars. Thats fine with me.

There can be a million KR clones. it doesn't matter. There are only 1600 genuine KRs. They are identified by VIN. That can't be faked. . SAI isn't making any more KRs.

This is great stuff, entertaining for sure.

9,800 bucks for a hood is "reasonable" in your words. You really need to lay off the drugs.

I'm not on drugs. Never have been. $9800 is alot of money. Granted. Whats reasonable is subjective. KRs were $85K cars at list. Was that reasonable? In the beginning before the economy imploded that was a bargain price as many sold for way over list. Then the economy crashed and the market reversed.

The market determines whats reasonable. To me it seems reasonable for an all carbon fiber hood when you consider all the other facts. The cost just to physically make the hood is $3,800. This does not include all development costs to get it DOT certified. SAI is not entitle dot a profit in addition to recouping its development costs? I think thats unreasonable to ask. Maybe you don't. Maybe you and others think SAI is altruistic organizaion or just in thie buisiness for philantropic reasons. I never thought that so when they try to make a profit and recoup their costs too it doesn't botrher me. Moreover it helps keep the KR exclusive.

If you don't agree with the price, don't buy one or wait for one that fell off the truck to show up on Ebay. Even there these black market KR hoods seem to be fetching around $4K. Is that reasonable?. Where is the line separating reasoonable from unreasonable????

I'm not on drugs. Never have been. $9800 is alot of money. Granted. Whats reasonable is subjective. KRs were $85K cars at list. Was that reasonable? In the beginning before the economy imploded that was a bargain price as many sold for way over list. Then the economy crashed and the market reversed.

The market determines whats reasonable. To me it seems reasonable for an all carbon fiber hood when you consider all the other facts. The cost just to physically make the hood is $3,800. This does not include all development costs to get it DOT certified. SAI is not entitle dot a profit in addition to recouping its development costs? I think thats unreasonable to ask. Maybe you don't. Maybe you and others think SAI is altruistic organizaion or just in thie buisiness for philantropic reasons. I never thought that so when they try to make a profit and recoup their costs too it doesn't botrher me. Moreover it helps keep the KR exclusive.

If you don't agree with the price, don't buy one or wait for one that fell off the truck to show up on Ebay. Even there these black market KR hoods seem to be fetching around $4K. Is that reasonable?. Where is the line separating reasoonable from unreasonable????

Wrong. $3,800 is what Plasan charged SAI for the entire four piece set of Carbon fiber components used in the retrofit process. The $3,800 obviously includes the original vendors markup, not to tough to comprehend. KRs sold for over 100 grand at one time. They sell new for less than half that 3 years later. Looks like the hoods are available to anyone and cheaper too, big deal.

Ok, and...?

The venders cost to Shelby to get the hood and the other 3 carbon fiber components physically made is $3800. Shelby's cost also included R&D and DOT compliance testing and certification. According to what I read Shelby's cost for the hood with vendor, R&D, testing, certification for DOT is $9700 per hood. Is this incorrect??? If so what was the total cost to SAI and whats your source. Can you post the link???

Regardless, SAI is free to charge what the market will bare. Thats how capitalism works, well, at least as long as we still have it. Maybe you would prefer the State set the price??? I'd prefer the market to set the price. Don't want to pay what they want. Don't buy it. If they want to sell hoods they'll have to lower the price. Also, just because KRs are selling well below list now does not necessarily mean their parts will be cheaper. One doesn't follow the other.

Also, please explain how the hoods are available to "anyone". Really, did I miss something??? :doh: Funny, I don't recall hearing or reading an announcement from SAI that KR hoods are now available to non KR owners. Please enlighten us with the source of this exciting news or at least give us the link. If this is true it is only a big deal in my mind because SAI would be going back on what they told KR owners but I seriously doubt thats the case. Am I wrong??? We'd love to know. :lurk: Please do tell but cite facts and provide source.

Ok, and...?

The venders cost to Shelby to get the hood and the other 3 carbon fiber components physically made is $3800. Shelby's cost also included R&D and DOT compliance testing and certification. According to what I read Shelby's cost for the hood with vendor, R&D, testing, certification for DOT is $9700 per hood. Is this incorrect??? If so what was the total cost to SAI and whats your source. Can you post the link???

Regardless, SAI is free to charge what the market will bare. Thats how capitalism works, well, at least as long as we still have it. Maybe you would prefer the State set the price??? I'd prefer the market to set the price. Don't want to pay what they want. Don't buy it. If they want to sell hoods they'll have to lower the price. Also, just because KRs are selling well below list now does not necessarily mean their parts will be cheaper. One doesn't follow the other.

Also, please explain how the hoods are available to "anyone". Really, did I miss something??? :doh: Funny, I don't recall hearing or reading an announcement from SAI that KR hoods are now available to non KR owners. Please enlighten us with the source of this exciting news or at least give us the link. If this is true it is only a big deal in my mind because SAI would be going back on what they told KR owners but I seriously doubt thats the case. Am I wrong??? We'd love to know. :lurk: Please do tell but cite facts and provide source.

:headscratch:

"Also, please explain how the hoods are available to "anyone". Really, did I miss something???"

:hysterical3:http://cgi.ebay.com/...2#ht_500wt_1182 :hysterical:

Looks like anyone with a winning bid will get it. Whether they have a KR or not. :baby:

"Thats how capitalism works, well, at least as long as we still have it." :salute:

:lurk:

Ok, and...?

Are you wrong? Yes.

Source? Ebay.

Gotta give ya credit man, you never give up, enjoy.

YEah, no doubt. The price alone should be restrictive enough. And there are a couple of GT500s sporting a genuine KR hood in our group, mainly by luck of finding a wrecked KR, so you would think SA would take anyone's money who wants to give them that kind of dough for a hood. Considering they do come up for sale from time to time anyway.

Just my guess, but maybe the original manufacturer of the hoods is selling them UTR to get money recouped from that whole debacle. :headscratch:

Seems like you laugh too soon grasshopper. Checked Ebay. Item was removed. Further, those "KR" hoods on Ebay were not being sold by SAI.

Further you completely miss the point. They were "black market" hoods that fell off the truck. Yes, anyone could've have bought those hoods.

But anyone cannot buy a KR hood unless they find one that fell off the truck being marketed on ebay.

Further, when I last spoke to SAI (last week) about the ebay hoods I was told that SAI's attorneys would be "contacting" the sellers. May explain why the items a were removed from Ebay.

SAI in my conversations with them have told me very clearly the KR specific parts including the hoods are only avvailable and will only be sold to KR owners. Will some parts "find there way" out to market despite SAI best efforts to keep them resreved only for KR owns.

Yes.

Thats the extent to which they will/are available to non KR owners so all I can say is guys who want them and don't have KRs keep an eye out for those ebay sales. :salute:

I wouldn't even have to paint it...

:DROOLS:

Seems like you laugh too soon grasshopper. Checked Ebay. Item was removed. Further, those "KR" hoods on Ebay were not being sold by SAI.

Further you completely miss the point. They were "black market" hoods that fell off the truck. Yes, anyone could've have bought those hoods.

But anyone cannot buy a KR hood unless they find one that fell off the truck being marketed on ebay.

Further, when I last spoke to SAI (last week) about the ebay hoods I was told that SAI's attorneys would be "contacting" the sellers. May explain why the items a were removed from Ebay.

SAI in my conversations with them have told me very clearly the KR specific parts including the hoods are only avvailable and will only be sold to KR owners. Will some parts "find there way" out to market despite SAI best efforts to keep them resreved only for KR owns.

Yes.

Thats the extent to which they will/are available to non KR owners so all I can say is guys who want them and don't have KRs keep an eye out for those ebay sales. :salute:

Wrong again!

The hood that you say was removed from auction was sold. You are really on a roll.

Take some advice, give it a break Dude. You are making a fool of yourself. I"ll bet the guys at SAI just cringe when they see your name pop up on the call identifier!

:baby:

Another black market hood. Likely repaired and painted. The redacted shipping label is a nice touch. :hysterical: Now all you need is to get SAI to sell you the KR hood pins and your good to go! :hysterical:

I'm sure someone will repo them!

I wouldn't even have to paint it... :DROOLS:

:hysterical:

To bad there isn't a Vapor one

Wrong again! The hood that you say was removed from auction was sold. You are really on a roll. Take some advice, give it a break Dude. You are making a fool of yourself. I"ll bet the guys at SAI just cringe when they see your name pop up on the call identifier!

:poke:

Totally

:stirpot:

Hey "dude", you are the one that doesn't get it and making a schmuck out of yourself.. Aside from finding some hoods on ebay from private sellers that fell off the truck try buying one for SAI. Let us know how it goes. :hysterical3:

Besides, now that some KR hoods are showing up on ebay you guys can buy'em and make tribute KRs out of your cars. :hysterical:

Keep watching ebay for those KR hoods. Guys are apparently digging 'em and buying 'em. Thats fine with me.

yeah. Ok I read the internet articles about the cost of the KR hood. Its very clear. The manufacture cost of the hood is $3800.00. Thats "cost" from the manufacture. That "cost" also doesn't include Shelby RD and development cost. That also doesn't include mark up for profit. The fact that the hood is now selling for $9800 seems reasonable if the "cost" of the hood from the Manufacturer is $3800 when you consider most retail mark up and in this situation SAI has development cost to recover to boot.

The fact that you can buy a KR hood that "fell off the truck" on ebay for $4000k is not a bench mark for the value of the hood. The value of the hood is what you have to pay to buy it legitimately through SAI.

Also, why some KR parts are available like the exhaust and other parts are not made available except to KR owners is beyond me. Frankly, I see nothing wrong with keeping some KR parts exclusive to KR owners. I also don't care if guys can get some KR parts that are avaialbe to improve their cars. Thats fine with me.

There can be a million KR clones. it doesn't matter. There are only 1600 genuine KRs. They are identified by VIN. That can't be faked. . SAI isn't making any more KRs.

Hey Real One, I need a small favor.

I'm looking to improve my GT500. I am so glad I finally know of a KR owner that does not mind another Shelby owner trying his best to improve his car on a limited budget.

So, let me expalin what I need.

If you don't mind, I'd like you to remove the two bolts that hold each of your hood pin receivers onto your rad support and remove the receivers. I'd like you to take pictures of what is underneath, also measuring the diameter of the hole Shelby cut into the rad support before bolting on the black receivers, as well as noting the measurements from the outside of the cut hole to the inside of the fender.

Then, before you bolt them back on, if you wouldn't mind, can you lay out those two black receivers onto a white sheet of paper, with a ruler beside them, and snap a few pics looking straight down upon them? I'll also need the diameter of the hole in the black receiver, where the hood pin enters directly as well as the size of bolts used to install those pin receivers.

Thanks in advance! I'm sure it won't take you too long to remove 4 easy to reach bolts, snap a few pics, measure a few items and post up your findings.

Anxiously waiting.

Nah, you don't need me. Keep watching Ebay. I'm sure some KR hood pins will show up eventually, You can also just buy a KR hood on ebay or if the one that is currently on sells before you get to it I'm sure another one will fall off the truck in the near future.

Nah, you don't need me. Keep watching Ebay. I'm sure some KR hood pins will show up eventually, You can also just buy a KR hood on ebay or if the one that is currently on sells before you get to it I'm sure another one will fall off the truck in the near future.

Real One, I don't know what to say. See I do need you. Well actually I need your KR. I have some parts ( can't say what because I 'm fearful of Shelby's lawyers ), but I don't have the proper measurements.

You are on this fourm numerous times telling all who read it, that you have nothing against tribute cars. They aren't real KR's. You've got the magic numbers on the silver plates, "the Real One". I just want my "fake one". So, help out a fellow car guy. I know you are a man of your word, I mean not minding and all, right?

This is your opportunity to show "all these clowns" that have been harrassing you on this form, that you are indeed a man of integrity. That you mean what you say. That you have no hidden agenda. That you could care less about KR replicas, and all the other statements you've made here.

I'm not asking you to pull your tranny. Just 4 bolts. A few pics, and a tape measure.

I know you have a wrench.

What do you say? Friendo?

Real One, I don't know what to say. See I do need you. Well actually I need your KR. I have some parts ( can't say what because I 'm fearful of Shelby's lawyers ), but I don't have the proper measurements.

You are on this fourm numerous times telling all who read it, that you have nothing against tribute cars. They aren't real KR's. You've got the magic numbers on the silver plates., the real one. I just want my fake one. So, help out a fellow car guy. I know you are a man of your word, I mean not minding and all, right?

This is your opportunity to show "all these clowns" that have been harrassing you on this form, that you are indeed a man of integrity. That you mean what you say. That you have no hidden agenda. That you could care less about KR replicas, and all the other statements you've made here.

I'm not asking you to pull your tranny. Just 4 bolts. A few pics, and a tape measure.

I know you have a wrench.

What do you say? Friendo?

+1

I'm more then happy to help. Sure. No problem. If you guys are not willing to wait for the errant KR parts that fall off the truck to show up on ebay thats fine. I'm more then happy to help another Shelby fan and Mustang bro.

I'll make the KR available for photos and measurements. But I won't do your work for you.

Come on over, I supply the beer, the wings and when your done measuring we can all hang out at the pool. Even Speedyman's invited.

We can have a Mustang pool party. Just let me know if your interested.

:salute:

BTW is Frank Bullit really your name or is it just a tribute to the Bullit Mustang? Just wondering. I happen to like the Buliit Mustang alot. Almost bought one.

Takes care.

I'm more then happy to help. Sure. No problem. If you guys are not willing to wait for the errant KR parts that fall off the truck to show up on ebay thats fine. I'm more then happy to help another Shelby fan and Mustang bro.

I'll make the KR available for photos and measurements. But I won't do your work for you.

Come on over, I supply the beer, the wings and when your done measuring we can all hang out at the pool.

We can have a Mustang pool party. Just let me know if your interested.

:salute:

BTW is Frank Bullit really your name or is it just a tribute to the Bullit Mustang. Just wondering. I happen to like the Buliit Mustang alot. Almost bought one.

Takes care.

Sure! I'm down East on business quite a bit. Post up your address and a few preferred calander dates and I'll see if I can make it work. If I can't, maybe another member here can?! Alternatively, you could just PM me/them. Me/them will snap a few photo's and put them up on the site for any others interested in making a KR replica. I could even trace out that receiver since I'll be there in person, and have my machinist friend duplicate/fabricate the whole set up, including the twist pin mechanicals. Sweet!

Just so there is no confusion, having parts is one thing, having the measurements is something entirely different. To get the measurements I'd like, as well as others here, those four small bolts will have to come out. That's ok with you? I'm surprised you'd let me or another wrench on your KR. I suppose that Shelby bond we have builds bridges of trust that normally wouldn't exist.

Thanks Real One!

My fav wings are Salt @ Pepper!!!

Hey "dude", you are the one that doesn't get it and making a schmuck out of yourself.. Aside from finding some hoods on ebay from private sellers that fell off the truck try buying one for SAI. Let us know how it goes. :hysterical3:

Besides, now that some KR hoods are showing up on ebay you guys can buy'em and make tribute KRs out of your cars. :hysterical:

Keep watching ebay for those KR hoods. Guys are apparently digging 'em and buying 'em. Thats fine with me.

No real need to be paranoid about the possibility of clones Dude. There are new KRs still looking for a home with $30,000 discounts, used units cheaper making it far easier and cheaper to just go out and buy a KR vs. cloning. They are all over Ebay new or used everyday. KRs were the hot tamale at one time. A lenghty list of upgrades and refinements for the '10 and '11 GT500s have made them far better cars and the center of attention at this point and likely explains to a great degree the huge price beat down for KRs. Not to worry Dude, KRs will be readily available and at very reasonable prices for years to come virtually eliminating the need for any cloning.

Archived