TEAM SHELBY FORUM

KR OEM hood on ebay...

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The easy solution is to convince SA to sell the hoods directly to anyone willing to pay the price. Make it a $4000.00 hood to the general public and a $2000.00 hood to KR owners, and maybe a $3500.00 to registered Shelby owners, and $3000.00 to Team Shelby members with a registered Shelby. (And no, KR owners do not get an even lower discount for being TS members. SA still needs to make money off the hood.) Then they can choose if it is really worth the price to have a clone. Also, another fix would be to have the Super Snake hood made in carbon fiber as an optional upgrade for like $300 or $400 over the current price of the SS hood. Then people would have all kinds of options for performance, weight and style. All the while SA is making a profit so that they can stay in business even longer and provide us with even more stuff to spend our money on.

As for the trailer queen owners that are afraid of losing the value.... add some fiber in your diet and relax. These cars may be worth next to nothing for a lot longer than we are here on this planet (especially since it appears that none of you will be driving them and therefore there will be plenty of pristine ones available to choose from. Don't believe me, just check ebay for how many silver/ blue stripe KRs are available from dealers right now that have been on lots because the dealers over valued their stock.) Hell 20 years from now we might all be hunted down by some fascist regime wanting our heads for holding onto cars that remind them of the days when cars were not electric and still fun.

The easy solution is to convince SA to sell the hoods directly to anyone willing to pay the price. Make it a $4000.00 hood to the general public and a $2000.00 hood to KR owners, and maybe a $3500.00 to registered Shelby owners, and $3000.00 to Team Shelby members with a registered Shelby. (And no, KR owners do not get an even lower discount for being TS members. SA still needs to make money off the hood.) Then they can choose if it is really worth the price to have a clone. Also, another fix would be to have the Super Snake hood made in carbon fiber as an optional upgrade for like $300 or $400 over the current price of the SS hood. Then people would have all kinds of options for performance, weight and style. All the while SA is making a profit so that they can stay in business even longer and provide us with even more stuff to spend our money on.

As for the trailer queen owners that are afraid of losing the value.... add some fiber in your diet and relax. These cars may be worth next to nothing for a lot longer than we are here on this planet (especially since it appears that none of you will be driving them and therefore there will be plenty of pristine ones available to choose from. Don't believe me, just check ebay for how many silver/ blue stripe KRs are available from dealers right now that have been on lots because the dealers over valued their stock.) Hell 20 years from now we might all be hunted down by some fascist regime wanting our heads for holding onto cars that remind them of the days when cars were not electric and still fun.

Now there is finally a post that makes sense, is logical, rational, and would make 97% of the population happy. Well done! Are you listening SAI???????????

I sometimes laugh at the attitudes of fellow Shelby owners. There's a lot of "in house rivalry" so to speak. For example, the classic Shelby owners don't recognize the new stuff as anything but regular cars. The SGT guys whine all the time about how the GT-500 never went to SAI so, it's not a "real Shelby". The GT-500 guys rag on the KR owners on how much they paid for the KR's, and the KR owners snub the GT-500 owners as owning "run of the mill" cars. What will we think of the GT-350, and what will those owners think of us?

Anyone who pissed and moaned like the examples I listed above must have issues fitting in with others. Personally, I could care less at what you drive. The car DOES NOT make the person, remember that. If you're an insecure ass, no car will help you with that.

+1

I can't believe how many guys got their panties in a bunch over this. :hysterical:

Personally, I was just interested in how the seller got the "real" KR hood. My interest was simply based on the fact that KR specific parts were supposed to be reserved for real KRs and their owners. There are a number of Shleby cars as I understand where their specific model parts are limited to those models, i.e. the 40th anniversary GT500.

The idea of keeping KR parts limited to KR owners was SAI's idea so as to help preserve the value of the cars.

Candidly, I really don't care because guy who don't have KRs can copy a KR all they want, its still NOT a genuine KR whether they use real Kr parts or not . Thats the important part. Real KRs are identified by VIN.

Is the KR better than a "run of the mill" GT500? (I would have said "standard GT500"). I think so for many reasons. Thats why I bought a KR. Owners of "standard" GT500s may not think so. Their free to disagree. Doesn't mean I'm a snob just means I liked the KR better for reasons that were important to me.

We each buy what we and have made our choices based on our own reasons. Whatever they are. or were.

Values are down are all cars. Knocking the KR by arguing the values are down is ridiculous.

KRs were selling for list and above before the economy tanked. Then every car's value plumetied.

I can buy a 2009 GT500 for way below what I would have paid in 9/08. In fact in

October 2008 a local dealer wanted to sell me a brand new 2007 GT500 for invoice. In July that year they wanted $15K over on the same car. That should put it all in perspective.

Based on the limited number of KRs I do feel that in years to come they will recover their full value if not more. Thats my opionion. Yours may differ. Thats not why I bought one though.

Based on whats going on in the world now and in this country I'm not as confident that any cars in the future will be worth what I thoguht they would be last year at this time. Things with this country have grown worse then I thought. Hopefully things will change.

At this point I think its important just to enjoy what you have. The future will be what it will be.

I never looked at cars as investments. Thats silly.

...At this point I think its important just to enjoy what you have. The future will be what it will be...

Yep; had mine out early this morning for a three hour drive, up to Pine Mountain Club & back home before the heat hit. This car still makes me glad I got a KR; the sound it makes going through the mountain canyons is just amazing. :drool:

No matter to me that more KR parts are floating around, so long as they're still around if I ever need 'em.

As for the future... As long as I have money and can still drive, there will always be cool cars to be had. No worries. :)

Yep; had mine out early this morning for a three hour drive, up to Pine Mountain Club & back home

"Pine Mountain Club"??? What's that?

We used to camp at a place called Pine Mountain when I was a kid.

It's up in the mountains north of Ojai, south of the road near Santa Maria that runs East off of 101 (hwy 33?).

Same place? It's pretty much at the summit, to the right side if you're heading up from Ojai.

I have really great memories of that place. And if I remember the road right, it'd be a GREAT drive in the Shelby! We camped there once in 1985 on the way home to Monterey from The Grand Canyon.

Phill (born in Oxnard, lived in Meiners Oaks)

"Pine Mountain Club"??? What's that?

We used to camp at a place called Pine Mountain when I was a kid.

It's up in the mountains north of Ojai, south of the road near Santa Maria that runs East off of 101 (hwy 33?).

Same place? It's pretty much at the summit, to the right side if you're heading up from Ojai.

I have really great memories of that place. And if I remember the road right, it'd be a GREAT drive in the Shelby! We camped there once in 1985 on the way home to Monterey from The Grand Canyon.

Phill (born in Oxnard, lived in Meiners Oaks)

Same Pine Mountain. PMC is the name of the community up there. I actually took the 5 freeway up today, and went through Frazier Park. Was planning on going up to Mt. Pinos summit, but went to PMC, instead. Going there from the 33 is the long way, but yeah; it's a great drive. I've gone back home that way a couple times, taking the 33 to Ojai, then down the 101. Lots of fun canyon roads, out that way. :)

Sorry to add my .02 but I have owned all 3 Shelby's. A SGT Vert, 09 GT500 and now 09GT500KR. There is no comparison in cars. When I owned each at their times I thought the exact same thing that each was better. But stepping back and looking in...the KR has no competition.

Ok, off topic here but since it's been brought up........

I sometimes laugh at the attitudes of fellow Shelby owners. There's a lot of "in house rivalry" so to speak. For example, the classic Shelby owners don't recognize the new stuff as anything but regular cars. The SGT guys whine all the time about how the GT-500 never went to SAI so, it's not a "real Shelby". The GT-500 guys rag on the KR owners on how much they paid for the KR's, and the KR owners snub the GT-500 owners as owning "run of the mill" cars. What will we think of the GT-350, and what will those owners think of us?

Anyone who pissed and moaned like the examples I listed above must have issues fitting in with others. Personally, I could care less at what you drive. The car DOES NOT make the person, remember that. If you're an insecure ass, no car will help you with that.

My favorite biker shirt is the one that says "your bike sucks, stick it"

Maybe SA needs to make one too!

My car fits me, I could care less about aquiring another modern Shelby, for the price of a GT 350 why you would not just spend the extra and get a 66 is beyond me.

Sorry to add my .02 but I have owned all 3 Shelby's. A SGT Vert, 09 GT500 and now 09GT500KR. There is no comparison in cars. When I owned each at their times I thought the exact same thing that each was better. But stepping back and looking in...the KR has no competition.

and you have a KR now....hhhmmmmm. SGT/SC next?

The easy solution is to convince SA to sell the hoods directly to anyone willing to pay the price. Make it a $4000.00 hood to the general public and a $2000.00 hood to KR owners, and maybe a $3500.00 to registered Shelby owners, and $3000.00 to Team Shelby members with a registered Shelby.

Shelby American would be losing money if they sold them at $4,000 each. I heard that SA's cost is over $5000 for each hood and that also they had many problems with them getting to fit properly.

Same Pine Mountain. PMC is the name of the community up there.

Wow, they developed it?

There was NOTHING up there when we used to camp there. Well, nothing but Pine trees and big rocks to climb on.

Thanks for the info.,

Phill

Shelby American would be losing money if they sold them at $4,000 each. I heard that SA's cost is over $5000 for each hood and that also they had many problems with them getting to fit properly.

The true cost of the hood if memory serves was around $1700.00. This came out when the manufacture sued Shelby for non-payment.. The wholsale numbers are a matter of public record. All the carbon f parts came out to around $3300.00 for the entire car, including the hood.

As per fit issues, I haven't seen any complaints posted on the internet.

"Perhaps the most interesting aspect of the story is that the lawsuit reveals the cost of the carbon fiber parts. Remember that whole fiasco in which Shelby was charging nearly $18,400 for a replacement hood? According to one of the documents in the lawsuit, a set of 200 carbon fiber components costs $760,000. Do the math, and that's just $3,800 for all the carbon fiber parts on the car. But straight division doesn't work here." - autoblog

Wow, they developed it?

There was NOTHING up there when we used to camp there. Well, nothing but Pine trees and big rocks to climb on.

Thanks for the info.,

Phill

Don't forget the Dinosaurs too! :hysterical::hysterical:

(sorry, couldn't resist)

Now, :backtotopic:

Whats the source of your information that the wholesale cost of $1700 for a KR hood? From past threads here I recall SAI indicating the development cost of these hoods was very high initially putting them at $18K per hood or thereabouts. The cost was then reduced to about $9K later.

Does that wholesale cost you refer to of $1700 cover just manufacture cost or development cost too?

Hmmm.

Is the KR better than a "run of the mill" GT500? (I would have said "standard GT500"). I think so for many reasons. Thats why I bought a KR. Owners of "standard" GT500s may not think so. Their free to disagree. Doesn't mean I'm a snob just means I liked the KR better for reasons that were important to me.

We each buy what we and have made our choices based on our own reasons. Whatever they are. or were.

Values are down are all cars. Knocking the KR by arguing the values are down is ridiculous.

Fascinating.

It is interesting how a GT500 is defined by the preface "run of the mill" or "standard".

Why isn't it simply a GT500?

I don't think anyone would confuse a GT500 with a KR.

Hhmmm.....

Tom

Whats the source of your information that the wholesale cost of $1700 for a KR hood? From past threads here I recall SAI indicating the development cost of these hoods was very high initially putting them at $18K per hood or thereabouts. The cost was then reduced to about $9K later.

Does that wholesale cost you refer to of $1700 cover just manufacture cost or development cost too?

Hmmm.

Hey Real One,

The price was quoted in the law suit which is a matter of public record. I remember seeing it on the site here a while back but it seems to have disappeared. Hmmmmm. I'm sure you could find it on google. Have to look hard though. Searches with Shelby and lawsuit bring up a lot of suits where Shelby is suing others, but you can find the document where Shelby is the one being sued with just a little more effort.

Oh yes. Crash test research and R and D. That must be why the hoods cost 9K now. What was the reason they cost 18K before the lawsuit came out? Those damn calculators. Any company could have made that mistake. ......... Hmmmmmmm.

I guess those hoods that have sold on Ebay for 5500-6500 have caused the sellers to take a terrible loss on their 9000.00 purchase from Shelby. Please.

Hmmm.

There isn"t any "hmmm" here. Real simple, Google the subject and you will find all the clarification u might need. $3800 for a full set of KR carbon fiber parts. Looks like SAI has tested the waters with various mark up levels, certainly their right to do so. What may be in question at this point is whether or not SAI is the proprietary retailor of these items. Understand that this is no absolute guarantee that the parts discussed here may find their way to market and be sold by others via alternative channels. KR parts likely will continue to be distributed on Ebay etc. as long as there is interest in these items whether current KR owners like it or not.

And I'm worried about the mortgage/college fund/vacation/etc......

I should be worried about the price of KR parts on the internet! There's not enough time in the day to worry about the little things.lurk.gif

Actually, speaking of little things. Since Robert responded to the troll so quickly maybe this is a good place to ask about my part, how are we coming on the GT-H Faux gas cap????doh.gif

Candidly, I really don't care because guy who don't have KRs can copy a KR all they want, its still NOT a genuine KR whether they use real Kr parts or not . Thats the important part. Real KRs are identified by VIN.

I'm a guy that likes to do my own research along with doing all my own wrenching. It has never been about stickers and glitz - just well engineered parts. So when I come upon a road block that has been placed across my path and I am told I'm not allowed to enter "the club" in the interest of assuring and maintaining exclusivity, I tend to get turned off.

After all these years, it was great to see Ford engineers develop the parts (in concert with a few aftermarket suppliers in some cases) to put together the then new 2008 KR. I'd have been proud to have been able to purchase and add the hood that Plasan manufactured after developing it with Ford engineers. My interest with it was simply to aid in cooling and to reduce weight.

I was thrilled to see FRPP was developing a cold air package early on. Knowing that Shelby would want to use it for HP bragging rights ensured that FRPP engineers would have to obtain an exemption number and that the part would be street legal. I thank the calibration people at Ford (and Roush in this specific case) for making this part available. It was the first mod I did to my car, which IIRC, only had about 14 miles on it when I did it.

The KR shifter as sold by FRPP (aside from the shifter ball differences) is an OE quality, Ford engineered and manufactured piece. I was happy to be able to purchase it at a reasonable price and install it on my '09.

Interesting that no one at Shelby saw any money in their own little known KR cover at the rear axle. I researched the heck out of that one and rather enjoyed making my own. I had heard a while back that there were untold covers (already modified) sitting in Las Vegas that were never used. With so many alternatives out there, along with the fact that making your own isn't that difficult, I would have thought that if anyone had wanted to profiteer from those it would have been Shelby. From a pure business perspective, I'd recommend that they be dusted off and sold - at least to KR owners. This is a part I don't see appreciating in value for maybe at least another fifty years. :D

Also odd is the H-pipe. Why not offer a template and pipe assembly similar to what Powerhouse sells? I suspect many here aren't "raspy" fans and would welcome the mod. I know I do.

I added the V6 rear spoiler simply because of the statistical aero numbers that Ford engineers released after wind tunnel testing. It improves the balance of the vehicle. I thank Ford's V6 powered Mustang styling team for that.

When the KR struts/shocks/springs became available I bought them instantly. Again, OE quality, and with a drop that I could live with on the street. The mild rate increases fit perfectly with my intentions for a user "friendly" performance car. They work very well. The fact that someone at Shelby intervened (after their initial offering) to prevent some of the items from being sold is a bit upsetting. Ford wasn't moving any of the parts in their own service network, so they agreed to move a rather large (relatively speaking) quantity of them. They were carrying the inventory - not someone at Shelby.

Since I wasn't a fan of the dreaded "axle lube leak" from the vent, I added the Shelby sourced axle reservoir. It was painfully obvious that that part was not produced by a Tier 1 supplier for the KR program. But again, the piece is a functional improvement and utilizes some durable materials. It doesn't have to be pretty but it does have to work.

When I wanted to move up to 3.73 gears for improved performance, as had the KR, I found that FRPP was selling the same complete axle assembly as Ford had installed on KR vehicles prior to shipping them off to Las Vegas for completion. It was truly sad that nobody from Shelby could come forward and confirm the source (or at least some minor details) and just as sad that FRPP "tech people" didn't know much about it either. It was a perfect fit. Too bad FRPP no longer carries the assembly. I thank the Bullit/KR development team for making that one happen. Also props to the Sterling axle plant!

So in summary, was my intent to "copy" that of the KR? No, it was not. As mentioned, VIN dictates the real deal there. I simply wanted to improve what I already had. It was about adding reasonably priced and well developed parts to come closer to my ideal pony car. The hood would have been a nice addition. But with the billet vents I added to my stock hood from True Forged, I no longer see any value in the CF piece (if I can use the term value on that one).

And while I had a passing interest in adding the Alcoa KR wheels, I quickly moved on when I saw how the recent selloff was being handled. The '10-'11 standard GT500 wheels/tires are almost as exclusive but far more accessible were they to ever get damaged. Another lost sale that you can chalk up to the club.

For you purists out there, don't take it the wrong way. I just see it as all or none. Half (or more) of the KR engineered parts are readily available for sale, legally :salute: . So the claim of "maintaining exclusivity" would seem to hold little water, as far as I'm concerned.

Tob

On edit...I forgot to mention the FRPP 5230-S mufflers that I bolted on, also used in the KR program. Readily available to anyone with a checkbook.

I'm a guy that likes to do my own research along with doing all my own wrenching. It has never been about stickers and glitz - just well engineered parts. So when I come upon a road block that has been placed across my path and I am told I'm not allowed to enter "the club" in the interest of assuring and maintaining exclusivity, I tend to get turned off.

After all these years, it was great to see Ford engineers develop the parts (in concert with a few aftermarket suppliers in some cases) to put together the then new 2008 KR. I'd have been proud to have been able to purchase and add the hood that Plasan manufactured after developing it with Ford engineers. My interest with it was simply to aid in cooling and to reduce weight.

I was thrilled to see FRPP was developing a cold air package early on. Knowing that Shelby would want to use it for HP bragging rights ensured that FRPP engineers would have to obtain an exemption number and that the part would be street legal. I thank the calibration people at Ford (and Roush in this specific case) for making this part available. It was the first mod I did to my car, which IIRC, only had about 14 miles on it when I did it.

The KR shifter as sold by FRPP (aside from the shifter ball differences) is an OE quality, Ford engineered and manufactured piece. I was happy to be able to purchase it at a reasonable price and install it on my '09.

Interesting that no one at Shelby saw any money in their own little known KR cover at the rear axle. I researched the heck out of that one and rather enjoyed making my own. I had heard a while back that there were untold covers (already modified) sitting in Las Vegas that were never used. With so many alternatives out there, along with the fact that making your own isn't that difficult, I would have thought that if anyone had wanted to profiteer from those it would have been Shelby. From a pure business perspective, I'd recommend that they be dusted off and sold - at least to KR owners. This is a part I don't see appreciating in value for maybe at least another fifty years. :D

Also odd is the H-pipe. Why not offer a template and pipe assembly similar to what Powerhouse sells? I suspect many here aren't "raspy" fans and would welcome the mod. I know I do.

I added the V6 rear spoiler simply because of the statistical aero numbers that Ford engineers released after wind tunnel testing. It improves the balance of the vehicle. I thank Ford's V6 powered Mustang styling team for that.

When the KR struts/shocks/springs became available I bought them instantly. Again, OE quality, and with a drop that I could live with on the street. The mild rate increases fit perfectly with my intentions for a user "friendly" performance car. They work very well. The fact that someone at Shelby intervened (after their initial offering) to prevent some of the items from being sold is a bit upsetting. Ford wasn't moving any of the parts in their own service network, so they agreed to move a rather large (relatively speaking) quantity of them. They were carrying the inventory - not someone at Shelby.

Since I wasn't a fan of the dreaded "axle lube leak" from the vent, I added the Shelby sourced axle reservoir. It was painfully obvious that that part was not produced by a Tier 1 supplier for the KR program. But again, the piece is a functional improvement and utilizes some durable materials. It doesn't have to be pretty but it does have to work.

When I wanted to move up to 3.73 gears for improved performance, as had the KR, I found that FRPP was selling the same complete axle assembly as Ford had installed on KR vehicles prior to shipping them off to Las Vegas for completion. It was truly sad that nobody from Shelby could come forward and confirm the source (or at least some minor details) and just as sad that FRPP "tech people" didn't know much about it either. It was a perfect fit. Too bad FRPP no longer carries the assembly. I thank the Bullit/KR development team for making that one happen. Also props to the Sterling axle plant!

So in summary, was my intent to "copy" that of the KR? No, it was not. As mentioned, VIN dictates the real deal there. I simply wanted to improve what I already had. It was about adding reasonably priced and well developed parts to come closer to my ideal pony car. The hood would have been a nice addition. But with the billet vents I added to my stock hood from True Forged, I no longer see any value in the CF piece (if I can use the term value on that one).

And while I had a passing interest in adding the Alcoa KR wheels, I quickly moved on when I saw how the recent selloff was being handled. The '10-'11 standard GT500 wheels/tires are almost as exclusive but far more accessible were they to ever get damaged. Another lost sale that you can chalk up to the club.

For you purists out there, don't take it the wrong way. I just see it as all or none. Half (or more) of the KR engineered parts are readily available for sale, legally :salute: . So the claim of "maintaining exclusivity" would seem to hold little water, as far as I'm concerned.

Tob

On edit...I forgot to mention the FRPP 5230-S mufflers that I bolted on, also used in the KR program. Readily available to anyone with a checkbook.

Well Said! Very respectful and factual. Thank You.

yeah. Ok I read the internet articles about the cost of the KR hood. Its very clear. The manufacture cost of the hood is $3800.00. Thats "cost" from the manufacture. That "cost" also doesn't include Shelby RD and development cost. That also doesn't include mark up for profit. The fact that the hood is now selling for $9800 seems reasonable if the "cost" of the hood from the Manufacturer is $3800 when you consider most retail mark up and in this situation SAI has development cost to recover to boot.

The fact that you can buy a KR hood that "fell off the truck" on ebay for $4000k is not a bench mark for the value of the hood. The value of the hood is what you have to pay to buy it legitimately through SAI.

Also, why some KR parts are available like the exhaust and other parts are not made available except to KR owners is beyond me. Frankly, I see nothing wrong with keeping some KR parts exclusive to KR owners. I also don't care if guys can get some KR parts that are avaialbe to improve their cars. Thats fine with me.

There can be a million KR clones. it doesn't matter. There are only 1600 genuine KRs. They are identified by VIN. That can't be faked. . SAI isn't making any more KRs.

...There are only 1600 genuine KRs. They are identified by VIN. That can't be faked. . SAI isn't making any more KRs.

SAI isn't making any more '08-'09 KRs... Don't bet that they won't make more KRs later on. :)

Archived