TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Are all 2011 GT500s 50 state (Calif) emissions legal? (might buy out of state)

I think I've found a GT500 that would work for me but it's out of state. I am fairly sure there is some sort of emissions impact fee I'll have to pay, but has anyone else purchased out of California and brought a 2011 in? Getting to the car is easy as I have plenty of FF miles to get me to the car.

I'm curious about the process and also considering registering it out of state initially if that could potentially work out better for me.

Any feedback welcome.

-Wingrider

I think I've found a GT500 that would work for me but it's out of state. I am fairly sure there is some sort of emissions impact fee I'll have to pay, but has anyone else purchased out of California and brought a 2011 in? Getting to the car is easy as I have plenty of FF miles to get me to the car.

I'm curious about the process and also considering registering it out of state initially if that could potentially work out better for me.

Any feedback welcAs for the cost on bringing a new car into tyhe state just call dme

call the dealer. You will have to register any car that a dealer sells before you can take delivery. Check www. DMV.CA.GOV about fee's

Any feedback welcome.

-Wingrider

Many States including California will issue a temporary use permit. The selling dealer can provide you with the costs.

Any feedback welcome.

-Wingrider

Wingrider

Yes the GT500 is a 50 state car. It's not difficult to purchase out of state but why? California dealers are hurting just like all other dealers so why not stop by your local dealer, tell them what you're looking for and see if you can work a deal. In fact why not stop by your local dealer and flat out ask them if they can beat your deal.

Just my two.

Steve

Hi Steve!

While I can appreciate supporting local businesses (and do), the "local dealer" about a mile from me is not great. I've purchased from and used to have 2 other Fords serviced by them and have not had a great experience. They basically refused to sell me a Shelby in 2007 due to their incompetence and have a $20k side bar on the 2011 sitting inside their showroom. In '07 it was- "we know what we agreed to when you put down a deposit, but now that they are here we've decided it's worth $20k more. we won't budge" Now they have a 2011 in the same slot on the floor and for grins have brought back a that outrageous side bar. Why would I reward them with continued business? I went the other way back then and purchased a 2007 SLK55 AMG and have enjoyed it biding my time and now with the aluminum 5.4 I'm interested in the GT500 again.

There are a couple of other Ford dealers in the area of course, but why work in the cost of shipping the car to me when I can fly to the car (FF miles) and have a leisurely weekend driving it back along the coast or through the Sierras and back home.

I continue to read postings of others purchasing (or arranging for delivery) GT500's from out of their local areas so I don't feel alone that there are reasons people are motivated to do this. It's being done for a reason.

I *really* wish I could see my way to work with the dealer but they've lost my business. If the car I want was sitting 1 mile from me at the local dealer maybe my feelings would be different- but most likely sitting on a $20k mark up I doubt it.

I appreciate the feedback.

-Wingrider

P.S.- I'll be ordering a HE from you guys on sale in the morning to install later into a Shelby out there somewhere with my name on it.

Wingrider,

What are you specifically looking for?

In 2007 I wanted the red w/white stripes. Today, no so much.

The local dealer has red/white. Next closest dealer has no GT500s right now. next one out has a black with stripe delete.

I haven't come to a final decision on what stripe delete color yet.

-Wingrider

In 2007 I wanted the red w/white stripes. Today, no so much.

The local dealer has red/white. Next closest dealer has no GT500s right now. next one out has a black with stripe delete.

I haven't come to a final decision on what stripe delete color yet.

-Wingrider

Wingrider,

If you're interested in a black/black, stripe delete, SVTPP, glass roof and electronics package... let me know and I can refer you to a Bay Area dealer for less than MSRP.

Jim

Wingrider,

If you're interested in a black/black, stripe delete, SVTPP, glass roof and electronics package... let me know and I can refer you to a Bay Area dealer for less than MSRP.

Jim

Had a black 5.0 and will pass on another black car. Loved it but can't keep up the proper cleaning regiment it would deserve.

Appreciate the offer on the Black one, but if he can get me a deal on something else in a SVPPP stripe delete i'd be interested in talking to him- or anyone else for that matter.

Heck, I ordered a Shelby HE on sale- I *have* to get a car now.

-Wingrider

Wing

I hear you on the local dealerships. The dealerships I currently use in SoCal are hours away from me. There are closer dealerships but when these dealers are all owned by a certain "group" it makes it worthwhile to travel.

You know there's a couple of Ford dealerships in Las Vegas..... and of course there are Team Shelby members connected to their dealership.

One more thought. Years ago there was a law that a new car purchased out of state had to have like 7,500 miles on it before it could be registered in CA. I'm pretty sure that law has gone away but something to check into.

Steve

Wing

I hear you on the local dealerships. The dealerships I currently use in SoCal are hours away from me. There are closer dealerships but when these dealers are all owned by a certain "group" it makes it worthwhile to travel.

You know there's a couple of Ford dealerships in Las Vegas..... and of course there are Team Shelby members connected to their dealership.

One more thought. Years ago there was a law that a new car purchased out of state had to have like 7,500 miles on it before it could be registered in CA. I'm pretty sure that law has gone away but something to check into.

Steve

All great information to share. I've stopped by a couple in LA and think that's my second choice. I guess if the price is right I'd go local. My AMG was brought up to me from San Diego so I've been that route. I'll have to look into what's sitting in Vegas and that 7,500 mile thing...

Thanks!

Wing,

If you have patience and want to order one, the dealer I bought mine from in Alabama has the ability to order more, and will sell for 1k over invoice. He also drop shipped the car directly from Ford to my local dealer in Phoenix for $200.

It was ashame that I had the same experience as you- local dealers that wanted MSRP +. No need to pay anything near MSRP for a new Shelby if you have some time.

Mike

Wing,

If you have patience and want to order one, the dealer I bought mine from in Alabama has the ability to order more, and will sell for 1k over invoice. He also drop shipped the car directly from Ford to my local dealer in Phoenix for $200.

It was ashame that I had the same experience as you- local dealers that wanted MSRP +. No need to pay anything near MSRP for a new Shelby if you have some time.

Mike

Oh cool. It at least looks like I have options. I'll PM you if it gets to that point in a couple weeks. Thanks!

-W

Archived