TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Looking For Your Opinion

TClark1976

Some background:

I have been the proud owner of a 2008 SGT for nearly 3 years now. When I originally started shopping for a Mustang, I didn't really know much about Shelby or the Shelby GT. I'd seen the GT500 commerials back in 2007, and really, that was where it started. I woke up, faced the reality that I was not going to be able to afford one of them with the dealer markup, and was just going to buy a MGT and look to the aftermarket to make it my own.

My Parents had made the trip to Las Vegas for vacation about this time, and one of their stops was to Shelby Automobiles Head Quarters. They took the tour and saw the 2008 SGTs being built there. (I blame my father for this for sure) He showed me pictures and I saw the Blue CS6 in the museum and the pictures of the Shelby GTs. I did a little more research into the Shelby GT and the aftermarket parts that were available through SPP, and I started to see lengthy list of things I could spend more $$$ on. I found myself gravitating toward everything that was the CS8. The hood, the grille, the wheels, the brakes, and of course, the Supercharger. I still ended up buying the Shelby GT. Looking back on it now, I probably could have built a CS8 Turn2, complete, for about the same $$$.

So here's the question:

If you had $$$ in hand, a stock trim Shelby GT, and a completed CS8 Turn2 to choose from, which would you pick?

Are the suspension upgrades comparable? Is the "Package" comparable? Is this even a fair comparison?

What are your thoughts?

Trevor

Some background:

I have been the proud owner of a 2008 SGT for nearly 3 years now. When I originally started shopping for a Mustang, I didn't really know much about Shelby or the Shelby GT. I'd seen the GT500 commerials back in 2007, and really, that was where it started. I woke up, faced the reality that I was not going to be able to afford one of them with the dealer markup, and was just going to buy a MGT and look to the aftermarket to make it my own.

My Parents had made the trip to Las Vegas for vacation about this time, and one of their stops was to Shelby Automobiles Head Quarters. They took the tour and saw the 2008 SGTs being built there. (I blame my father for this for sure) He showed me pictures and I saw the Blue CS6 in the museum and the pictures of the Shelby GTs. I did a little more research into the Shelby GT and the aftermarket parts that were available through SPP, and I started to see lengthy list of things I could spend more $$$ on. I found myself gravitating toward everything that was the CS8. The hood, the grille, the wheels, the brakes, and of course, the Supercharger. I still ended up buying the Shelby GT. Looking back on it now, I probably could have built a CS8 Turn2, complete, for about the same $$$.

So here's the question:

If you had $$$ in hand, a stock trim Shelby GT, and a completed CS8 Turn2 to choose from, which would you pick?

Are the suspension upgrades comparable? Is the "Package" comparable? Is this even a fair comparison?

What are your thoughts?

Trevor

Hey that's tough one !! I had to pop an prozac . I recently bought 72 f-100 and stand outside trying to decide which one to drive. I would lean towards the shelby gt no what towards CS8 :shrug:

Sorry really tuff one have a great 4th

Trevor,

SGT hands down. While they both are Shelbys, only one was put together at SA.

Chris

+1 The SGT was put together by SA and it has a CSM number. That is what I like about my SGT-H. Off topic, but I like the rental history of the H cars as well. Adds a bit of character to the car.

Trevor,

SGT hands down. While they both are Shelbys, only one was put together at SA.

Chris

Good point Chris didn't even think of that shocking !! Now what vehicle should, I use today the shelby or the truck (no A/C) and 96degrees.

Thanks

So here's the question:

What are your thoughts?

Trevor

I think if you stay stock with the SGT, then go with the built CS8. If you plan any mods, go with the SGT.

IMO, you made the right choice. You have a beautiful car!

Dan

Some background:

So here's the question:

What are your thoughts?

Trevor

Why give yourself a headache? You MADE the right choice! BLUE is faster :shift:

I vote for the SGT here, for two reasons: 1) it looks better, 2) I don't like the idea of "let's buy a bunch of parts and call it a Shelby", that the CS cars do; the SGT came from SAI, now SA, as a Shelby. Enjoy it. Besides, you can always upgrade to a supercharger.

That sums up perfectly the way I feel about it. In addition, the CS8 stripe, IMO, it butt-ugly, but I suppose that one doesn't have to put that on.

What is a turn 2, okay I am just kidding, if it wasn't built by Shelby, you have just another modified Mustang as one of our forum buds just put it. I must admit when I had purchased my 05 Black GT, I didn't see what all the fuss was on these Shelby's, but after you purchase and drive one you kinda figure it out.

Just my thoughts headscratch.gif GG

SHelby GT it is a no brainer. SAI is the way and the fact that currently they are raced in the SCCA Solo Class and currently lead and dominate. Pay the money and buy history just like those who purchased shelby GT 350'S in the 60'S

Scotty. :happy feet:

hands down the SGT its a no brainer from what i hear the CS is a DIY for someone that want the SHELBY feel and experience

from what i been told the CS8/6 will never have a CSM number or be in the registry . i don't know if its true not

the reason i went with the SGT is it was a pre title Shelby that already had a CSM # 2547 with the blue print paper that said by way of Shelby LasVegas

JIM

CS8 Turn 2 is S/C. The standard SGT is not. My choice would be the CS8 T2. I've never understood the need for a CSM. It's not really going to affect the value long-term since there are so many of them. To me, the number isn't worth trading the S/C for the same money. Plus, I like the CS8 front end better. I removed my GT/CS bumper and scoop (very similar to SGT) to fit the CS8 front end instead.

. I've never understood the need for a CSM. It's not really going to affect the value long-term since there are so many of them.

Aaron, with all due respect, you are completely wrong. That CSM number means loads, otherwise its just a regular mustang. If you are ever able to, or choose to own something with a CSM you will then know. Not trying to pick a fight with you, just sayin.

Chris

Aaron, with all due respect, you are completely wrong. That CSM number means loads, otherwise its just a regular mustang. If you are ever able to, or choose to own something with a CSM you will then know. Not trying to pick a fight with you, just sayin.

Chris

to each there own my brethren the SC wasn't important to me in the SGT and my wife claimed it right off the bat anyway :slapfight: . but i did want a supercharged numbered signature car !! so we went out and bought the Roush 428 R

JIM

Edited by REDTAIL

Chris

I'm not wrong since my post was my opinion. Again, this is my opinion, but the only "real" Shelby's are the Cobras and the Series 1's. A Mustang with a dash plaque means alot to some people. To me, it's just a Mustang with a dash plaque. I'd rather have the blower for the same money.

I'm not wrong since my post was my opinion. Again, this is my opinion, but the only "real" Shelby's are the Cobras and the Series 1's. A Mustang with a dash plaque means alot to some people. To me, it's just a Mustang with a dash plaque. I'd rather have the blower for the same money.

For that matter, a Cobra's just a crappy little British sports car with a big Ford engine stuffed into it!

:hysterical:

lurk.gif

I didn't mean to start a family fued or anything - just curious what people would think about it. I can understand all sides and opinions, and quite frankly appreciate everyone's $0.02 on the matter.

I guess I'll just have to have both some how or another over the next few years.

Because I like the look. See my sig. I'm just saying that I'd rather pay for a supercharger than a numbered plaque if they're the same price.

I here what everyone has to say and this what I have to say. I do believe the overall value will definately be affected by it having a CSM. This is my reasoning behind it. You say it doesn't matter because there are so many of them. There were only an estimate of 8,100 built in the two years of this car. (07 to 08) Correct me if I am wrong please. redcard.gif But I don't believe that is that many. If they were equally despenced throughout the United States, that would be about 160 per state. So it is something special when you get a few of them together. Not to mention how many of us will wreck them over the longterm. (sorry boys this will happen) Plus those of us whom in 30 years have a zillion miles on them shift.gif . They won't be worth much. But what will be is a Mustang Shelby GT with a CSM in good shape with low miles. Just my two cents.

Edited by michschi

Also a trip to Vegas that started me in this direction. I rented a GT-H at the airport and drove out to the SAI factory (and Hoover Dam) when visiting a friend in December, 2006. This was when the SGT just getting off the ground in response to consumer demand for the GT-H. It wasn't a pre-planned visit to the factory, so I didn't get an official tour, but did get to see some of the cars, the museum, and talked with a couple of the line guys at the factory. I rented an GT-H convertible in September, 2007 in Hawaii and that's what really sold me on the car. Wow, the sound of full throttle (top down) in a tunnel through solid rock is amazing.

My choice was SGT... I have a 2008 SGT convertible and could have bought the GT 500 coupe (or a supercharged Rousch, etc) for about the same money. My thought was that the SGT (including the Hertz cars here) was the first pre-title Shelby Mustang official factory (FoMoCo and Shelby sanctioned) conversion since the previous Shelby Mustangs ended in the early 1970's. They were also made in relatively limited numbers... I believe mine is one of less than 800 Shelby GT (non-Hertz) convertibles made (only offered in 2008). Yeah, only time will tell... but my bet was that CSM number (and accompanying registry entry) will mean a lot in the future. I am planning on keeping my SGT basically forever. I'm 36, so I've got time to wait.... and enjoy it in the many years to come.

Kind of like paying more for the documentation of a thoroughbred racehorse when you might be able to get the same (or better) performance from a horse without the lineage. To some, it's worth it... to some it's not. If you're more concerned about enjoying your car for the here and now, not planning to keep it more than 5 years, and like the aftermarket stuff better, go for it... to each his own. Rousch and Saleen also make some very nice models, but I bought mine for that Carroll Shelby look, feel, name, and lineage.

Edited by Matt N.

Shelby is doing a lot to ensure that all the Shelby cars (Terlingua, SGT, GT-H, SS and so on) are well documented and in the registry as REAL Shelby cars. That CSM number on the dash plaque is absolutely worth something! There are businesses across the country that have been busted in federal investigations where people are removing the CSM number plaques and Vin's to create FAKE Shelby Mustangs. Those folks now face real criminal charges. So I would say that IT DOES HAVE A VALUE! If you understood anything about the Shelby Brand and it's history you would clearly understand this.

Super chargers, and other performance parts are cool, without a doubt. However, when it gets right down to it- owning a real Shelby is an experience that goes beyond just performance. You are owing a piece of REAL AMERICAN AUTOMOTIVE HISTORY! Did you know the most expensive American Car to sell at auction was a Shelby? Did you know that Shelby was right at the center of what is considered by most to be the "most significant racing win in history" with the GT-40's 1,2,3 finish back in the 60's? I could go on, the list is long.

This it the reason why I didn't even hesitate when I had a chance to be the first and only owner of a REAL modern day Shelby Mustang of my own. I bet, even in my lifetime I will see the SGT reach a value that will far exceed a typical Mustang with a supercharger. WHY? Simply because of the little dash plaque and the fact that it is, after all a Shelby.

Edited by tko211

• 2 weeks later...

The GT500KR, Shelby GT-H, and Shelby GT are the only pre-title modern Shelby Mustangs that were converted at Shelby and sold & endorsed by Ford through Ford Dealers. They have a provenance that the others lack and I prefer them to the SS, CS-6/8, GT500, or any others. JMO

Chip Beck