TEAM SHELBY FORUM

why so many for sale

I asked the question now time for my thoughts. I think many bought their cars and then didnt know what to do with them after purchase. Afraid to put miles on them, afraid to get them dirty, afraid they might get a scratch or road chip. So the car sits in the garage with a car cover. Now you have a 50k car that you are afraid to use and wasted a good warranty. They are paying insurance and registration every year and the value keeps going down. Now the stock market and 401ks are droping again and you sit back and think get out before I lose any more so sell the Shelby. For those that over bought meaning took loans that were over their head and now have trouble making the payments, Sorry no tears here. If you bought a 20k family car and were having trouble I would in deed feel sorry for you. I think buying a Shelby, Corvette, Porsche are for those that have worked hard earned the money and are rewarded . I feel the same about the housing market those that put no money down with bad loans and now cant keep up with payments should have never been able to do it in the first place. What happened to saving 20% down and then qualify for a loan and struggle along for a few years until things get better. That is why we are in recession in the first place. For those that did sacrifice and now have their dream car makes it worth much more than kbb could ever put on it.

My brother bought his 07 for 10 grand over MSRP. he sold his last summer with 4000 miles on it for 35 grand. He figured he had better sell now while he could still get a good price for it. On a side note....I put 5% down on my home and have no problems paying my mortgage.....lol

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The bloom has been off the rose for some time. The 2007-09 GT500's are yesterday's news and have been eclipsed by the 2011. Many reviews of the 2011 GT 500 (and GT) disparage the previous models in comparison. They have proven to be problematic when it comes to TSB issues and cannot be considered rare or collectible in the foreseeable future. I am surprised you don't see more for sale, but consider if you financed a high ADM over 60 months you'd still be underwater at this point. Wait another year and we'll really see the flood gates open.

I asked the question now time for my thoughts. I think many bought their cars and then didnt know what to do with them after purchase. Afraid to put miles on them, afraid to get them dirty, afraid they might get a scratch or road chip. So the car sits in the garage with a car cover. Now you have a 50k car that you are afraid to use and wasted a good warranty. They are paying insurance and registration every year and the value keeps going down. Now the stock market and 401ks are droping again and you sit back and think get out before I lose any more so sell the Shelby. For those that over bought meaning took loans that were over their head and now have trouble making the payments, Sorry no tears here. If you bought a 20k family car and were having trouble I would in deed feel sorry for you. I think buying a Shelby, Corvette, Porsche are for those that have worked hard earned the money and are rewarded . I feel the same about the housing market those that put no money down with bad loans and now cant keep up with payments should have never been able to do it in the first place. What happened to saving 20% down and then qualify for a loan and struggle along for a few years until things get better. That is why we are in recession in the first place. For those that did sacrifice and now have their dream car makes it worth much more than kbb could ever put on it.

+1. What happened to responsible and educated buying?? :headscratch: It pisses me off that everyone (Shelby owners exempt) expect everything for free which results in higher taxes to the responsible hard working individuals. Sorry to rant, just pissed about what's happening to this proud and great Country.

I mentioned once before on this subject, that it seems interesting to me that KBB.com still has no value for the GT500 coupe or Vert?

Moreover, NADA does......?

KBB describes in a pop-up screen , that due to the limited amount of these cars, they are unable to determine a fair mrkt. value. We, including myself lately, have been going on and on about the 'limited production' of these cars. It would seem to me that KBB, the self described experts on car values in the US, could be on to something here. Everybody that has been posting lately as newbies to the Shelby world, with their first Shelby, specifically a GT500 are all getting them even with very low mileage, between 35K and 37K? Oddly, as well, the Vert's are seemingly not bringing much if any more $$$ ? What happened to the old saying, "top goes down...price goes up"?

Don't get mad convertible owners, but at least for this car (500) , if you are buying it for it's original intended purpose, a coupe is really the right choice for that. Please don't sling mud at me...I don't even track my car. I'm just trying to evaluate why there is not much spread in price between the two. Maybe this car is commanding the same $$$ in either form, because of this reason.

All that said, who is working for KBB these days? Do they not surf sites such as ours here? If you read the threads for just one week, you would realize what these cars are really changing hands for. I was a lucky MSRP first year buyer. And as for most of these cars STILL selling for , even as low as $35K, I am thinking that is a very strong resale value! Try buying a new, most anything, in '07 and try to sell it for only that much of a hit now in mid '10. You'd be hard pressed to find many other cars that are standing this strong!?

Cars in general are a :censored: investment.

Home ownership is were to dump your money. At least that use to be the American dream.

Will the Shelby's ever be worth any $$$ :beatdeadhorse:

"Everybody that has been posting lately as newbies to the Shelby world, with their first Shelby, specifically a GT500 are all getting them even with very low mileage, between 35K and 37K? Oddly, as well, the Vert's are seemingly not bringing much if any more $$$ ? Look at the MSRP, they are holding there value, just not appreciating. The second owners who get the cars with the added mods are the ones making out

"What happened to the old saying, "top goes down...price goes up"?"

Long term verts will be worth more especially in the warmer climate.

"Don't get mad convertible owners, but at least for this car (500) , if you are buying it for it's original intended purpose, a coupe is really the right choice for that." AGREED

"Please don't sling mud at me...I don't even track my car. I'm just trying to evaluate why there is not much spread in price between the two. Maybe this car is commanding the same $$$ in either form, because of this reason."

Convertibles cost more to purchase.

Look at the production number through the years.

Fewer Verts then Coupes .

Supply and demand.

Shelby and or Ford just saturated the market.

:hysterical3: Limited Production :headscratch:

My brother bought his 07 for 10 grand over MSRP. he sold his last summer with 4000 miles on it for 35 grand. He figured he had better sell now while he could still get a good price for it. On a side note....I put 5% down on my home and have no problems paying my mortgage.....lol

Not getting this logic. Why sell it now for $35K? Does anybody think a GT500 with less than 20K miles will ever be a $25K car? I don't..... I think at $35K he sold it at damn near it's bottom. Time will tell, but I don't see Shelby GT500's with lower miles ever going for $25K. At $35K he was in the cheap years and should have driven the hell out of it. Whatever he replaced it with, most likely, is depreciating faster than the '07 is.

The bloom has been off the rose for some time. The 2007-09 GT500's are yesterday's news and have been eclipsed by the 2011. Many reviews of the 2011 GT 500 (and GT) disparage the previous models in comparison. They have proven to be problematic when it comes to TSB issues and cannot be considered rare or collectible in the foreseeable future. I am surprised you don't see more for sale, but consider if you financed a high ADM over 60 months you'd still be underwater at this point. Wait another year and we'll really see the flood gates open.

And when the '07 came out, all the press talked about how much better it was than all Mustangs before it. Yet the '03-'04 Cobras are holding their own. This is what the press does. They take manufacturer money in the form of very expensive advertising, which pays for your magazine, not your $12/year subscription. Then in return they write gushing reviews of the cars to help the manufacturers sell cars. You arn't going to see a magazine in todays world say "as nice as the new 5.0L is, you would be an idiot to buy one at $40K, when you can pick up a 2 year old GT500 for less on Ebay." That doesn't help Ford sell cars, and Ford won't run a 5.0L add if that is what you write. So as far as disparaging comments, take them with a grain of salt. The improvements are certainly nice, but in now way has the 2011 "eclipsed" the 2007-2009's. Te attention my 2008 gets out in public tells me the bloom isn't off the rose......

Economy...Economy...Economy....oh, and possible $3200 clutch replacement, now that the warr. is up!

I'm just sayin'.

:)

I have to admit, the clutch problem (along with the mass production) played into my decision to sell my 08 GT500. I still have a 07 GT-H which I will probably have for a long time.......not gonna sell that one any time soon.

QSS

Not getting this logic. Why sell it now for $35K? Does anybody think a GT500 with less than 20K miles will ever be a $25K car? I don't..... I think at $35K he sold it at damn near it's bottom. Time will tell, but I don't see Shelby GT500's with lower miles ever going for $25K. At $35K he was in the cheap years and should have driven the hell out of it. Whatever he replaced it with, most likely, is depreciating faster than the '07 is.

Wrong, '07-'09s are in the express lane headed for mid 20s sales regardless of what enthusiasts and current owners originally paid or "figure" these early units are worth. Sorry but this is how it works in the world of late model cars. Trade in values are allready in the 20s in many cases. None of this is a bit of a surprise.

+ 1

Supply and demand, that's it !! Ford will milk this thing as long as they can. You can't blame them for making money ,that's why they are in business. Well the president of Ford just got a 48 million dollar stock option.He was number 1 of all CEO's. That is bigger than some small cities budgets. I remember when Bill Ford would only take one dollar until his company turned things around. I guess Ford feels they have turned things around. Sorry back to topic , The more Shelby's they make the more the old one's will drop, it's just that simple.Treat the Shelby like a toy or boat , just enjoy them. The money you spent on a toy should be money you can afford to lose.You will enjoy this car more if you just forget about the cost.I do remember when the 07's came out alot of us were thinking limited production. But that is old news and was not to be. SVT used to stand for PERFORMANCE,SUBSTANCE,EXUSIVITY and VALUE. Well now they have two, take a guess. The lesson here is never buy a new Shelby just a slighty used one if cost is a factor.

"and cannot be considered rare or collectible in the foreseeable future"...............

You've been hiding the crystal ball, all this time?? :)

As for the rose and the bloom......I, as well get more curious onlookers with this car, than any of my previous 85 cars! It remains curious to me that if the 07-09 cars are yesterday's news....how is it that MOST people, still ask "what is this car"? It may be 'old news' to those of us that are educated SHELBY owners, and Mustang owners on the whole, but with a few simple mods, you can take this car to many levels beyond that of the 2011 car, and still have the more 'retro' look...IMHO

The original owner of that car got bent over. Many '08s cleared the market in the high 30's new with invoice pricing and the $3,000 rebate. Recovering 35 grand after 2-3 years on a car that sold for high 30's/low 40's is one heck of a retention of value.

Lots of valid points. Something that has been left out is that Ford lead the Dealers and public to believe that the 2007 GT500 was a one year car at the beginning and then said they would make it in 2008 due to demand! Then in 2008 they said the GT500 would be made in 2009 which took the wind out of the collector car status, no longer was it that you better got one now or you will not get one. I know of a guy that bought 12 2007 GT500's and they are still in factory wrap sitting in a warehouse because they were so collectable and would be a great investment. Thus the rebates at the end of 2008 because it was no longer an impossible to get a GT500 and 2009s were on the way! .

Lots of valid points. Something that has been left out is that Ford lead the Dealers and public to believe that the 2007 GT500 was a one year car at the beginning and then said they would make it in 2008 due to demand! Then in 2008 they said the GT500 would be made in 2009 which took the wind out of the collector car status, no longer was it that you better got one now or you will not get one. I know of a guy that bought 12 2007 GT500's and they are still in factory wrap sitting in a warehouse because they were so collectable and would be a great investment. Thus the rebates at the end of 2008 because it was no longer an impossible to get a GT500 and 2009’s were on the way! .

I remember those days and alot of people got burned on what Ford told thier dealers.The 2000 Mustang Cobra R was a good example of LTD production. So why not think the Shelby would follow?

My opinion - I think a lot of people got suckered in thinking these cars would do what the original GT500s did value-wise. Unfortunately, things like that seldom happen twice. I bought this car because I loved the look and the power. If it should appreciate at some point down the road that's an added bonus but was never assumed. If you bought this car as an investment you are screwed (at least in your lifetime). My advice?

DRIVE IT!!!

My opinion - I think a lot of people got suckered in thinking these cars would do what the original GT500s did value-wise. Unfortunately, things like that seldom happen twice. I bought this car because I loved the look and the power. If it should appreciate at some point down the road that's an added bonus but was never assumed. If you bought this car as an investment you are screwed (at least in your lifetime). My advice?

DRIVE IT!!!

I agree with you. I'm going to enjoy this car in my lifetime and when I retire, I will be using it as a regular driver during the spring and summer months. I'm destined to get my fun and money out of this car.

I agree with you. I'm going to enjoy this car in my lifetime and when I retire, I will be using it as a regular driver during the spring and summer months. I'm destined to get my fun and money out of this car.

++ mine is already a daily spring summer driver and I have told Alex I will need a new motor in about 10 years that will put it at around 150,000 miles of fun drives and smiles. These cars have a pedigree and they were designed with the help from one of the Greatest car builders of all time, so who really cares what they are worth.

Wow, I drive my car whenever I can. As for the economy, you buy what you can afford, NOT what you want. If you bought a GT 500 as a short term investment, congrats on your short sell. I bought a kick ass driver

I wanted a 2007 but the substantial premium (a/k/a "ADM") pushed me to a twin turbocharged BMW. I drove it for 3 years and checked back on the Shelby. Lo and behold the prices were right. I have a 2010, which I bought for two reasons (never buy a car for an investment). First, so I could be the coolest cat on the face of the planet and second, so I could make a pass at the dragstrip from time to time. I put on loud pipes and tweaked it a little. When I get tired of being cool and/or racing I'll get rid of it.

BTW, I drive it several times a week; sometimes seven days a week. smile.gif

I think many more of these older GT500s will be for sale once Ford upgrades the GT500 again. I am figuring the next upgrade will be made to take on and beat the Z28 and there will be an even greater performance gap between that can and the first gen. Once that happens people will be unloading the older models so they can get into the latest and greatest.

I think many more of these older GT500s will be for sale once Ford upgrades the GT500 again. I am figuring the next upgrade will be made to take on and beat the Z28 and there will be an even greater performance gap between that can and the first gen. Once that happens people will be unloading the older models so they can get into the latest and greatest.

If that happens it will be great news for people that could not afford a GT500 in it's hay day. It's all good from what I can see.

Great example....just look at what the General has done with the Corvette!

Great example....just look at what the General has done with the Corvette!

I think many bought their cars and then didnt know what to do with them after purchase. Afraid to put miles on them, afraid to get them dirty, afraid they might get a scratch or road chip. So the car sits in the garage with a car cover. Now you have a 50k car that you are afraid to use and wasted a good warranty. They are paying insurance and registration every year and the value keeps going down. Now the stock market and 401ks are droping again and you sit back and think get out before I lose any more so sell the Shelby.

I think there is a TON of this!! I autocrossed my car a month ago and many people were shocked. Believe me, the last thing I wanted to do was tag a cone so I drove somewhat conservatively.

You can use these cars and still keep them in nice shape.

But I can totally see anyone with a garage queen getting tired of the payments, tired of the filled garage space and worried about decreasing values.

It will be interesting how long us second owners hold on to them. Especially if we are using and enjoying them.

I wonder how quick people who use their car sell them?

Where is this going ? 800hp Z06's 850HP GT500's stock with out mods? This is getting insane and the engineers can't keep these cars from becoming exotic . The GTR Brakes and rotors cost 7K to replace. Do we want the Mustang to go this direction ? Just look @ the cost to work on the Ford GT . These GT500's are headed in this direction sooner than later .Many Z06 and Ford GT owners can't drive these cars as intended cause they are just one step from a race car. If you don't believe me look @ the number of wrecked Ford GT's out there . One article said the GTR is so high tech you lose the fun factor when you drive it normal. That's because to drive it fast it has to have all that exotic handling gear to keep it on the road. Ford needs to just build a LTD number of GT500's in the future if this HP race continues. I had a Ford GT and the only place to drive it hard was @ the track with a helmet and driver suit .

Where is this going ? 800hp Z06's 850HP GT500's stock with out mods? This is getting insane and the engineers can't keep these cars from becoming exotic . The GTR Brakes and rotors cost 7K to replace. Do we want the Mustang to go this direction ? Just look @ the cost to work on the Ford GT . These GT500's are headed in this direction sooner than later .Many Z06 and Ford GT owners can't drive these cars as intended cause they are just one step from a race car. If you don't believe me look @ the number of wrecked Ford GT's out there . One article said the GTR is so high tech you lose the fun factor when you drive it normal. That's because to drive it fast it has to have all that exotic handling gear to keep it on the road. Ford needs to just build a LTD number of GT500's in the future if this HP race continues. I had a Ford GT and the only place to drive it hard was @ the track with a helmet and driver suit .

VERY good post!

I just had this conversation with my Z06 driving neighbor. If the HP wars continue on much further north of 500hp, the average consumer is NOT going to be able to handle the car safely. No longer are wives going to want to drive our cars...could be a good thing...lol. I'm teasing honey! I have personally spent a couple of different days at the track at Bondurant's in Phx. Az. I was humbled! I had a 26 year old teacher that frankly, scared the %&$#@ out of me in a full size E350 Ford Van around the track, full of all of my classmates for the day. Then , as we moved into the bright Orange modified Mustang GT's, I had a whole new appreciation for driving , fast modified cars without looking in my mirror for John Law. I pushed 'their' cars far beyond anything I would ever do on the street. Mostly because it is a safe enviornment, but as well, these cars are meant to be thrashed. Incidentally, they told us that very thing!!

Now, let's talk a little about automobile insurance. What is going to happen with our rates...they cannot possibly get any higher, right? WRONG! This will be another ugly byproduct of the increase in horses. My neighbor and I had the very conversation about the quite possibly, most affordable, 400hp car to come to market....the all new '11 Stang GT. This car is not only going to raise the bar, as it relates to quality, fit/finsish, and power, but will be a major game changer in the insurance/accident rate as we look back on it a few years from now!! You watch!

I want to believe that we are able to begin to refocus our attention in the direction of 'finesse' over horsepower. At some point, 'production cars' , at least for the masses, should have a maximum allowable amount of power. I know.....I can't believe I just said that. It's like putting salary caps on professional sports teams. Who would decide? What would be prudent, and fair? I guess the insurance companies will begin to, in a way quietly 'control' all of this, by way of raising rates on all of the fast cars?

Now that we are way off topic....I will shut up. Nonetheless, a great post! :)

I don't believe the hp wars will go much over 500 hp. LACK of driver skill combined with insurance rates will start slowing these cars down.

I do believe refinement will become a MAJOR factor such as the aluminum block. Other efficiencies will also be found in less weight and areas such as electronic steering, as an example.

I don't own a Shelby--yet.

However, I do own a 1995 SVT Cobra Convertible Hardtop. Back in 1995 this was the most expensive Mustang built excluding the 1995 R model. It was right at $30,000 sticker. There were 1003 95 SVT convertibles built--all black, black with tan leather. Of the 1003, only 499 were FACTORY EQUIPPED with a removeable hardtop that was black. Now, that is rare. I found a dealer that sold to me under invoice. When I bought this car I believed I was buying the last great Mustang ever built and it had a never-before-offered option with the hardtop. Ford dropped the option the next year and has never offered it again.

Fast forward and today the V6 has more hp than my 95 Cobra that was rated at 240 hp. As of about 3 years ago it only had 5,000 miles on it. What could I get for it then--maybe $15,000. I made the decision this car was definately not the super-collectible I believed it would one day be and started driving it. It now has 10,000 miles on it and is probably worth a whopping $10,000. I have enjoyed driving it a great deal.

There are simply too many GT500s out there for them to be considered collectible. Sorry, but that is the truth. And they are still building them. It reminds me of the 60s Shelby with the model variations and refinement as you look at the 6 years of production. Enjoy the cars because you aren't going to get rich owning it.

More and more of them are going to come on the market. They are still making them. The investors are going to realize they need to bail because they are riding a never-sinking ship as an investment. Enthusiasts will benefit. I am also concerned about the double-dip in the economy based on many indicators that are contradictory about this "upturn".

Tom

all cars suck as an investment, so yes, while you think they are going cheap, ALL cars are. Up here, a 2008 Z06 low, low kms can be bought for $60k, it was a $90k+ car back then.............30% off. So sell low, buy low, simple really.

Hey SVTpower, where you at? I'm in Oakville.

Bikeboy

Archived