TEAM SHELBY FORUM

shifter again!!!

I had the shifter assembly replaced about 500 mi ago. It was great, no rattling. Now in 3rd gear, at 30mph under deceleration, it sounds like a air hammer! The tech at the dealership said that it is adjustable. If I hold the lever back when it is doing it, it stops? Does anyone know if it is adjustable? I will do it myself this time.

I had the shifter assembly replaced about 500 mi ago. It was great, no rattling. Now in 3rd gear, at 30mph under deceleration, it sounds like a air hammer! The tech at the dealership said that it is adjustable. If I hold the lever back when it is doing it, it stops? Does anyone know if it is adjustable? I will do it myself this time.

There have been many posts about our shifters rattling and many have tried tightening the bolts as well as other suggestions. Mine rattled under hard accelleration for 3 years until I found a simple fix on another forum. The suggestion was to remove the boot and spray white lithium grease below the attchment bolts where the shifter stick connects to the part of the shifter that moves the shifter mechanism. I may bot be explaining this correctly but when you pick up the trim and boot you will see the very bottom of the shifter stick below the attachment bolts that actuates the shifter. I sprayed the entire area with the white lithium grease and to my surprise the rattling that I have has since I got the car in July 07 has gone away - even when the tranny is hot under hard accelleration as that is when it was the worst. Sounds weird but it was a problem that drove me crazy and it has been rattle free for about 3 months now.

I will try that this. I will try to take some pics and let the group know what happens, thanks for the help.What is weird is that these shifters are fairly simple and should not be having THIS many problems----Jack

There have been many posts about our shifters rattling and many have tried tightening the bolts as well as other suggestions. Mine rattled under hard accelleration for 3 years until I found a simple fix on another forum. The suggestion was to remove the boot and spray white lithium grease below the attchment bolts where the shifter stick connects to the part of the shifter that moves the shifter mechanism. I may bot be explaining this correctly but when you pick up the trim and boot you will see the very bottom of the shifter stick below the attachment bolts that actuates the shifter. I sprayed the entire area with the white lithium grease and to my surprise the rattling that I have has since I got the car in July 07 has gone away - even when the tranny is hot under hard accelleration as that is when it was the worst. Sounds weird but it was a problem that drove me crazy and it has been rattle free for about 3 months now.

Archived