TEAM SHELBY FORUM

my Shelby got HIT last night

I stopped in to a local burger joint after work to meet up with some local Mustang guys that were having a small get together. We watched as a small family piled into their Toyota pickup, commenting on how close their doors were getting to another guys S197. After the doors closed without incident, we went back to our business. A minute or so later, the woman from the truck appeared and asked if any of us owned a blue Mustang. I knew right away it wasn't good.

We all walked out to the parking lot to inspect the damage. She had backed into my parked car with the bumper of her 4x4. Not a scratch on her truck naturally, but my hood, driver's front quarter, and HID headlight were all impacted. I didn't flip out at all and thanked her for finding me, since so many losers out there would just hit and run. Luckily for me she has insurance. I told her not to worry about it, that shit happens, and that I'd be in touch. We went back to our get together and I enjoyed the rest of my milkshake.

Now that I'm home with my damaged beast, I'm realizing what a pain in the ass this is going to be. My hood has a lot of custom work done to it. The stripes are painted on. The underside of the hood was also painted blue, after I pulled the insulation blanket off. The scoop was made functional and the hood was cut by a local high dollar shop. The quarter needs to be replaced, so I'll need a replacement 'Shelby GT' rocker stripe, which I'm sure will be fun trying to get out of Shelby. I'm also worried about getting the PBF badge on the new quarter in the right spot. I'll also need to get a new pair of fender stripes from Mr. Farmer. Ugh.

I'll post a pic or two in a bit, after I get the nerve up to stare at the damage for more than a second at a time.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ken,

Do you know what shop you are going to have do the repair? I'd get at least 2, if not 3 high end custom shops to quote the entire repair so that the 3rd party insurance carrier adjuster doesn't try to low-ball their own estimate. Nothing like similar quotes to keep the adverse carrier honest when dealing with you. Make sure to get them pay for a similar replacement rental vehicle (a new 5.0 maybe?) while yours is in the shop AND demand compensation for diminished value (at least mid 4 figures) for in all likelyhood landing your VIN in the CARFAX database. Good luck.

http://www.insure.co...-car-value.html

See section on third party claims.

And another

http://www.ican2000.com/dvfaqs.html

I hope you have your car insured as a SGT, our cars carry the base GT VIN as far as the insurance company is concerned. When I setup my policy with SF, I sent them a pdf with my Shelby/GT window stickers, the Hero Card and pictures to put in my file. I dropped my previous company because they couldn't figure out what a Shelby GT was and how to insure it properly.

BTW, sorry about your car, I'm not sure I would have been able to keep my cool like you. I hope your car is repaired as good as new.

So many dumb a-- drivers on the roads today who have no idea how to drive!! The driver educational system is pitiful to say the least.

Sorry to hear about the damage - I hope it gets fixed up right for you w/out too much trouble.

I stopped in to a local burger joint after work to meet up with some local Mustang guys that were having a small get together. We watched as a small family piled into their Toyota pickup, commenting on how close their doors were getting to another guys S197. After the doors closed without incident, we went back to our business. A minute or so later, the woman from the truck appeared and asked if any of us owned a blue Mustang. I knew right away it wasn't good.

We all walked out to the parking lot to inspect the damage. She had backed into my parked car with the bumper of her 4x4. Not a scratch on her truck naturally, but my hood, driver's front quarter, and HID headlight were all impacted. I didn't flip out at all and thanked her for finding me, since so many losers out there would just hit and run. Luckily for me she has insurance. I told her not to worry about it, that shit happens, and that I'd be in touch. We went back to our get together and I enjoyed the rest of my milkshake.

Now that I'm home with my damaged beast, I'm realizing what a pain in the ass this is going to be. My hood has a lot of custom work done to it. The stripes are painted on. The underside of the hood was also painted blue, after I pulled the insulation blanket off. The scoop was made functional and the hood was cut by a local high dollar shop. The quarter needs to be replaced, so I'll need a replacement 'Shelby GT' rocker stripe, which I'm sure will be fun trying to get out of Shelby. I'm also worried about getting the PBF badge on the new quarter in the right spot. I'll also need to get a new pair of fender stripes from Mr. Farmer. Ugh.

I'll post a pic or two in a bit, after I get the nerve up to stare at the damage for more than a second at a time.

Sorry to hear that buddy !! Like everyone said shock that she came and found you. I can fly out to you is their an autozone by you to buy my spray paint and bondo . Wait to you see the great done to my car

Sorry to hear that buddy !! Like everyone said shock that she came and found you. I can fly out to you is their an autozone by you to buy my spray paint and bondo . Wait to you see the great done to my car

:hysterical:

censored.gif OH MAN what a drag. Hopefulley everything will work out but it is amazing that she came back you got very lucky there.

I bet if you have racerX fly out there your beauty will be a beast again. hysterical.gif

Thanks for all the comments guys. It's literally just a fender bender, but I never imagined that I'd be talking to insurance estimators about MY Shelby, regardless of how big or small the damage is, ya know? It's just so unfathomable to me that anyone wouldn't notice my beautiful blue and silver baby sitting wherever it may be parked, let alone not notice it enough to be able to run right into it! :lol:

Oh well, it most certainly could have been worse. But it's a funny thing - to be jolted back into the reality that these really are just cars, able to damaged like any other. After adoring this thing for almost 2 years now and pouring my sweat, blood, and money into it for almost as long, it's been easy to forget that it's just as fragile as any other machine on 4 wheels. Hmmm... armored plating mod? Defense system of some sort? Mobile bubble? I'll think of something, I'm sure.

Wow Ken, sorry that happened to your car. At least she was honest enough to go find you.

Also sorry meeting up with you on Thursday didn't work out. Maybe next time I'm in the area again we can meet up for that drink.

Best of luck getting your car fixed.

Dan

I am shocked that she came to find ya! That's pretty cool that she did that and didn't just drive off. It is sobering when something like that happens.

I've got a Vista Blue CS6 Hood - Painted Stripes - Done through Quantum Performance - up for sale. . . . . . It could be yours. . . . just a thought.

I'm sure you'll have your SGT back to pre loss condition in no time!

Trevor

Thanks for all the comments guys. It's literally just a fender bender, but I never imagined that I'd be talking to insurance estimators about MY Shelby, regardless of how big or small the damage is, ya know? It's just so unfathomable to me that anyone wouldn't notice my beautiful blue and silver baby sitting wherever it may be parked, let alone not notice it enough to be able to run right into it! :lol:

Oh well, it most certainly could have been worse. But it's a funny thing - to be jolted back into the reality that these really are just cars, able to damaged like any other. After adoring this thing for almost 2 years now and pouring my sweat, blood, and money into it for almost as long, it's been easy to forget that it's just as fragile as any other machine on 4 wheels. Hmmm... armored plating mod? Defense system of some sort? Mobile bubble? I'll think of something, I'm sure.

Ken thebubble won't work my parents raised me in one and they still were able to slap me around :hysterical:

Seriously anything can just be fixed good as new just the fact she didn't run would make my day. There's still hope for the human race and nice cars. I'm sure your going to go one more step to that body work can't wait to see what you add to it.

Good luck

Really sorry to hear this Ken. Hope everything works out.

Kudos on keeping your composure. Takes a good man to keep his cool at a time like that.

+1 Kahmann

and the best of luck to you in getting it sorted out....

Laurence

I'm sorry to hear about this Ken, as I said earlier, I'm glad everyone is ok and I know you'll use this opportunity to make your car better than it was.

Jim

That's a damn good looking poster you've got there Jim! ;)

Archived