TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Mustangs to race in NASCAR...Finally!

Son of GT

Ford finally gets the Mustang into NASCAR. Offical debut will be tonight's Nationwide Series race... :happy feet:

MUSTANG NASCAR DEBUT: RACING FOR MORE THAN A WIN

6/28/2010

WINNING FORD DRIVER WOULD WIN MUSTANG GT

Dearborn, Mich. The Mustang debut in NASCAR has been anxiously anticipated ever since Ford announced the iconic pony car would be competing on the track last summer. Now, to help celebrate that debut, Ford Racing is giving its drivers even more incentive to be the first Mustang winner, and take their place in Mustang racing history.

Jamie Allison, director, Ford North America Motorsports, announced today that any Ford driver who wins Friday nights Subway Jalapeno 250 NASCAR Nationwide Series event at Daytona International Speedway will receive their own 2011 5.0-liter Mustang GT production vehicle.

Normally, when we go to a NASCAR race, the drivers are the recognized stars as far as fans are concerned. Thats not the case this week. said Allison. Mustang and its debut in NASCAR is undoubtedly a huge story for fans and enthusiasts, and we want to make its debut a little more special for our drivers competing in the race. With a win, they have a chance to put their name down next to some of the Mustang racing legends.

This will mark the second straight NASCAR appearance as the Daytona pace car for the 5.0 Mustang GT, which led the field to the green flag for the first time in its history at Februarys Daytona 500.

This week is all about celebrating Mustang in NASCAR, said Allison. Fans will get to see the 2011 Mustang GT 5.0-liter pacing both races, and theyll also see the start of a new era in Mustang Racing on track.

Nothing would make me happier than to present one of our drivers the keys to their own 5.0 Mustang GT in victory lane on Friday night.

LINK TO SOURCE ARTICLE: http://www.fordracing.com/news/detail/?article=38034

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Uo03BiF8DY

Man, I feel bad for the cameraman in this video, it looks like he had a hell of a time trying to keep the camera steady...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLkQ2f2zZm0

Edited by Son of GT

Here's what the press had to say about the Mustang...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsylOLiktC8

NASCAR haters aside, I think its great that we're getting a Mustang bodied car in NASCAR!!!! I'm hoping that they can bring home a win in their first race tonight; would be great.

Got nothing to do with Nascar hating... It's NOT a Mustang body. It's a Nascar body with Mustang stickers. I don't understand why this is a big deal.

Actually, all the Nationwide cars today were entirely new cars. They had an increased wheelbase of 5 inches. The nose profile actually does have to fit a template which is derived from the factory car, the Challengers actually use the rear light panel off of a new Challenger. At least these cars are much closer to a factory car then the past many years. It's at least a step forward. It is far from just stickers like in the last many years.

Got nothing to do with Nascar hating... It's NOT a Mustang body. It's a Nascar body with Mustang stickers. I don't understand why this is a big deal.

LOL i watched the video and the first i thought that doesn't even look like a Mustang then i read all the other post and LMFAO

JIM

I think its a pretty big deal. Fans have expressed disappointment for some time now that the cars are looking too similar. Nascar is not the only racing Mustang to not be Mustang body straight from the dealer showroom. You can include the NHRA Mustang funny cars and pro stockers and probably more in this group. It's simply not possible or affordable for car manufacturers, teams or the race sanctioning bodies to use the factory bodies and still provide for the competitiveness and the safety requirements that both they and the fans want these days.

These are also not simply "stickers" anymore. The new Nationwide cars now have the creases, crevices and more of the actual body lines of the stock cars, especially in the front, prior to the stickers being appied. Therefore, they do look much more like the factory models than before, which is what the fans want to see. The rooflines remain similar on all cars because of the safety requirements (larger roll cages, greater ease of entry / exit).

There is now talk of carrying this concept on to the Cup series. This is all good for the fans and the sport.

As a non-Nascar fan, when people say "Nascar" I only think of Cup cars. This is what I was talking about. Sticking Mustang stickers on "The Car of Tomorrow" is what I was calling "no big deal". It's still the same car every other team has. Nationwide cars, trucks and anything else Nascar is doing doesn't even enter my mind when people say "Nascar".

As for factory bodies not being safe... Touring cars all over the planet regularly see 140+ mph on much narrower tracks.

As a non-Nascar fan, when people say "Nascar" I only think of Cup cars. This is what I was talking about. Sticking Mustang stickers on "The Car of Tomorrow" is what I was calling "no big deal". It's still the same car every other team has. Nationwide cars, trucks and anything else Nascar is doing doesn't even enter my mind when people say "Nascar".

As for factory bodies not being safe... Touring cars all over the planet regularly see 140+ mph on much narrower tracks.

Ummm.....there are no Mustangs in "Cup". There are no "Car of Tomorrow" race cars with Mustang stickers on them. Those would be Fusions. Only Nationwide when it comes to stock car racing in Nascar have the Mustangs for now. Also, the Continental Tire racing series with actual Mustangs under the Grand-Am banner is also owned by Nascar.

There is now talk of carrying this concept on to the Cup series. This is all good for the fans and the sport.

It'll never happen. Brian Fance worked too hard and too long to get a spec body, ERRRRRRR, I mean a "Car Of Tomorrow" body into Cup racing.

NASCAR has far too much time and money invested in the COT for them to back pedel now. Frankly, I'm *very* surprised they got rid of that stupid looking wing in favor of a (more) traditional rear spoiler. But think about it, with a spec body the spoiler is now a spec spoiler too. Not like yesterday's cars where a different body meant a different downforce figure for the same spoiler.

It's all about having common templates and only having *one* set for *ALL* cars.

Right now about the only difference between Mfgr.'s is the engine and even they are close to a "spec motor" (dimensionally speaking).

There is one thing Ford fans can all celebrate and that is the fact that *all* rear axles used in NASCAR Cup racing are FORD 9" units!

I guess the Chevy fans could rejoice that the truck arms used on Cup cars are *all* Chevy Truck arms! LOL

My $0.02 worth,

Phill

Ummm.....there are no Mustangs in "Cup". There are no "Car of Tomorrow" race cars with Mustang stickers on them. Those would be Fusions. Only Nationwide when it comes to stock car racing in Nascar have the Mustangs for now.

Yes, I know. That was the point of my post.

Sorry but I just don't see a reason to have Mustangs in NASCAR. Or Challengers or Camaros for that matter. The pony cars IMHO are road racing cars with the occasional trip to the drag-strip. Jerry Titus wasn't racing the Terlingua Mustang on the ovals, he was dicing it up on the road-courses. It's just a marketing ploy and I think that most people that have more than 2 grey cells between their ears will see it as such. I like NASCAR, don't take me wrong. But the US has some fantastic world class road-courses (Laguna Seca, Road America, Watkins Glen, Barber etc...) and the pony cars belong on those....

Ford finally gets the Mustang into NASCAR. Offical debut will be tonight's Nationwide Series race... :happy feet:

MUSTANG NASCAR DEBUT: RACING FOR MORE THAN A WIN

6/28/2010

WINNING FORD DRIVER WOULD WIN MUSTANG GT

Dearborn, Mich. — The Mustang debut in NASCAR has been anxiously anticipated ever since Ford announced the iconic pony car would be competing on the track last summer. Now, to help celebrate that debut, Ford Racing is giving its drivers even more incentive to be the first Mustang winner, and take their place in Mustang racing history.

Jamie Allison, director, Ford North America Motorsports, announced today that any Ford driver who wins Friday night’s Subway Jalapeno 250 NASCAR Nationwide Series event at Daytona International Speedway will receive their own 2011 5.0-liter Mustang GT production vehicle.

“Normally, when we go to a NASCAR race, the drivers are the recognized stars as far as fans are concerned. That’s not the case this week.” said Allison. “Mustang and its debut in NASCAR is undoubtedly a huge story for fans and enthusiasts, and we want to make its debut a little more special for our drivers competing in the race. With a win, they have a chance to put their name down next to some of the Mustang racing legends.”

This will mark the second straight NASCAR appearance as the Daytona pace car for the 5.0 Mustang GT, which led the field to the green flag for the first time in its history at February’s Daytona 500.

“This week is all about celebrating Mustang in NASCAR,” said Allison. “Fans will get to see the 2011 Mustang GT 5.0-liter pacing both races, and they’ll also see the start of a new era in Mustang Racing on track.

“Nothing would make me happier than to present one of our drivers the keys to their own 5.0 Mustang GT in victory lane on Friday night.”

LINK TO SOURCE ARTICLE: http://www.fordracing.com/news/detail/?article=38034

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Uo03BiF8DY

Man, I feel bad for the cameraman in this video, it looks like he had a hell of a time trying to keep the camera steady...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLkQ2f2zZm0

The NASCAR Mustang is about as close to a real Mustang as is a Toyota Prius. I 've loved NASCAR for over 40 years but to use this cheap marketing effort to revise their tumbling ratings is sad. NASCAR has just gotten too greedy, too expensive, too exclusive, too unresponsive to fans, and has generally lost touch with what made NASCAR great. Personally, I spend my racing dollars at SCCA, HSR, SVRA type events where you get to see real cars from near stock to heavily modified. But at least they have real car body panels etc.. Hey NASCAR, how about starting a TransAM type series, or maybe a real stock body series (short tracks of mile or less), but oh yes, you must make bazillions of dollars, and sell mega buck TV contracts, and you can't do that at smaller venues!!! So pleeeeaseeease, let's not put out yet another pile of non-descript sheet metal, and please don't call it a Mustang, maybe call it a "MUT". Well, let me get off my podium, whew, that felt good.

Sorry but I just don't see a reason to have Mustangs in NASCAR. Or Challengers or Camaros for that matter. The pony cars IMHO are road racing cars with the occasional trip to the drag-strip. Jerry Titus wasn't racing the Terlingua Mustang on the ovals, he was dicing it up on the road-courses. It's just a marketing ploy and I think that most people that have more than 2 grey cells between their ears will see it as such. I like NASCAR, don't take me wrong. But the US has some fantastic world class road-courses (Laguna Seca, Road America, Watkins Glen, Barber etc...) and the pony cars belong on those....

Good point. NASCAR's heritage; have always been using sedans or full size cars. The pony cars where used for the Trans Am series and drag racing. But the reality is "money makes the world go round". I think alot of things should not be the way things are, or going to be, but, I suppose in some cases the mighty dollar is more important to some people than carrying on traditions. Some people are more acceptable to change than others. I fell in love with the original Mustang and thats why I own one. If some one loves there 07GT, or 08KR, or even the new GT350, than I say keep it no matter what change comes our way. I love the new Mustangs, not to fond of the 74-98 bodies. But this is my opinion. Others may love those years. All I am saying is keep the car you love, watch the parade go by, be kind, and wave to all our Mustang friends and families out there. As far as NASCAR, no matter what car is circling a track, I support FORD, even if it is just a sticker. Remember, stickers are still trademarks.

I lost just about all interest shortly after the Roush Thunderbirds came into NASCAR and started kicking ass. Hell they even looked just like the Thunderbirds off the showroom floor with some spoilers on them.

Shortly after that NASCAR placed restrictions on the Fords to even things up. They've done it many times to Ford, but almost never to Chevy. They even took away a championship from Mark Martin which really pissed me off. When he started driving a Chevy that brought all my love for the game to a halt.

The mustangs don't look like mustangs, the drivers have no character or respect for one another, and it's just turned into a bunch of political BS. If I ever do get into a discussion about NASCAR, I still call it Winston Cup and the Busch series. I couldn't even tell you which is which right now....Sprint cup, Nationwide, who cares.

For the record as the OP of this topic/forum, I could personally give a rat's ass about NASCAR. It has never been my cup of tea, and I don't see myself changing my feelings about it, but there are thousands and thousands of folks that live, die, fight (each other), and generally go ga-ga over it, so I am probably a minority with my feelings about it. I only generated the forum because is was "Mustang" related, and frankly I agree with most of what has been posted here about NASCAR and the NASCAR "Mustang".

• 1 month later...

The NASCAR Mustang is about as close to a real Mustang as is a Toyota Prius.

I had my car at a body shop where they had "NASCAR - possibly a sprint car" having work done on it. It was a Taurus. I asked what parts had actually come off a Taurus. The Roof. Not one other item on the car was from an actual Taurus. A NASCAR has as much in common with the stock car as does a funny car. You could pull the decals off the "Mustang" and stick them on the Toyota body and probably have a hard time telling the difference. Total BS in my opinion.