TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New tires

swampfox

I Just put on 4 brand new tires nitto' and not for a bad price i might add. Today when i was driving my car back to Tampa from Ocala i notice that at about 70 mph my hood is shaking, i feel a slight vibration in the steering wheel ( is this normal?) and also my passenger seat i could see was vibrating ( the part you lean against not the bottom) i have no idea whats going on, im def frusterated. i just got an alignment, brand new tires, and a new rim because i had a slightly bent rim still doing it a little bit. WTF IS CAUSING IT!!!! seriously so annoying. also just added a panhandle bar because when i got my car originally from the dealership, the tires didn't line up perfectly Damn, i feel every single little bump in my car, any usefull ideas or comments highly appreciated.

I Just put on 4 brand new tires nitto' and not for a bad price i might add. Today when i was driving my car back to Tampa from Ocala i notice that at about 70 mph my hood is shaking, i feel a slight vibration in the steering wheel ( is this normal?) and also my passenger seat i could see was vibrating ( the part you lean against not the bottom) i have no idea whats going on, im def frusterated. i just got an alignment, brand new tires, and a new rim because i had a slightly bent rim still doing it a little bit. WTF IS CAUSING IT!!!! seriously so annoying. also just added a panhandle bar because when i got my car originally from the dealership, the tires didn't line up perfectly Damn, i feel every single little bump in my car, any usefull ideas or comments highly appreciated.

my 08 had a shimmy from the factory, took it to the best balance guy in town (Evolution Autosports in Louisville) and he put the perfect balance on them ( I watched) still there.

turned out it was runout in the tire itself, when we put it back on the balancer you could see the tire going up and down as it spun. Just a bad tire. Steering wheel vibration is basically

three things, bent wheel, out of balance or tire defect (runout etc). just have to take it back and let them decide which it is, but if its a reputable shop it likely has a good balance and would look for the runout.

as great balnce job cant fix a physical defect in the tire, and with as many tires the mfg makes, there is a percentage that gets out the door with runout.

just my thoughts

Phil

It could be a couple of things. The most simple (and most likely) answers come first.

1. One or more of the wheels is not on and torqued down properly.

2. Tires and wheels not balanced properly

3. Weights put too far on the inside when balancing (similar to the first, but difference is that the weights were put on only according to one axis of rotation) Sometimes done so that you don't have to see the weights on the wheels from the outside.

4. One or more of the tires is defective

5. The new rim is warped. (which should have been caught when trying to balance the wheel.)

6. The alignment is off. (maybe they set it before putting on the new wheel and tires. - Not very likely though)

Also, if you have a stiffer suspension then the ride will be more harsh (which explains feeling bumps, but not normally a big issue with vibrations.)

Hope this at least gets you to a starting point.

I have had the same problem with my P-Zero's. Shake in the steering wheel. Just yesterday I took the two front wheels to a tire shop to get them rebalanced, He has a new machine that balances the wheel and tire at speed and under load. The machine has a roller that contact the tire and they program in the weight of the car and it balances based on simulated actual driving. They found they had to unmount one of my tires and rotate it on the rim, then they were able to balance it.

Took the car to work today and it is great. No shake.

Check around and see if you can find a shop with one of these machines. It worked for me.

well i put 4 brand new tires on today all balanced and torqued perfectly, i am baffled going to take it to the dealership tomorrow i guess, also it still pulls a little to the right to man idk wtf brand new tires brand new rim. could it be something else? and also you mentioned a stiffer ride will make your car handle bumps and such differently i got a panhandle bar and def maid it so much stiffer like i feel every tiny bump in the road lol. idk man i think i need to drive another gt500 same year and see if what i feel is out of the normal or am i becoming an auto Hypocondriac? lol. btw i hope my new tires get more life out of them, the stock rims maid id 15,000 miles and they are all pretty bad, is that the average life of the stock tires like 15,000 - 20,000 right?

Archived