TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Updated clear coat with a splash

I started with my bumper and when detailing the car the knicks and scratches pissed me off. Like, I stated to Andrew the clear coat on are cars is to soft. I showed my cousin how soft by just tapping the fender with an extension cord and still with all that wax it left an imprint of where the cord touched. So, I decide to wet sand the car down then went out and spent about 200.00 on Dupont clear and while there decide to add a silver pearl to the clear.

When ready to mix, I added extra hardner to the clear and believe me a dash of the pearl less than a half of a pinky nail and this is what was done. I have a couple of spots to fix and still needs to be wet sanded and buffed it was my first time setting up the paint gun myself. My buddy always did that and let me spray that was at work !! I also went out and bought a husky paint gun set up for 80.00 from homedepot. The set up comes with 2 guns and everything from filters to 2 regulators a great deal also forgot to wet the garage floor down to keep the dust down. But it will all come out with wet sanding but with this clear , I can drive it tomorrow and you would notice that it needs a sanding.

I also paint over half the stripes to see what would happen and it took the clear with no problems.

Also my new tailights the 010's have 2 reverse lights but only one socket so I ended up making a socket hole and added a extra reverse light to both lenses.

So Bash away!!!

post-18733-127794809227_thumb.jpg

post-18733-127794812771_thumb.jpg

post-18733-127794815637_thumb.jpg

post-18733-127794821257_thumb.jpg

post-18733-127794826194_thumb.jpg

post-18733-127794828556_thumb.jpg

post-18733-127794809227_thumb.jpg

post-18733-127794812771_thumb.jpg

post-18733-127794815637_thumb.jpg

post-18733-127794821257_thumb.jpg

post-18733-127794826194_thumb.jpg

post-18733-127794828556_thumb.jpg

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Damn Racer, you have balls made of brass! All I can picture is the vinyl shrinking under the clear and the clear turning into spiderwebs across the stripes. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Keep us posted on how it turns out.

sorry man, that's all that came to mind....

That reminded me of my ex-wife :hysterical: Will see how it looks buffed out and if I don't like it just sand it back down and spray away. But I really didn't mean to go that pearl crazy but it was only a speck of pearl paid 20.00 for a 4 oz jar from HOK. I can send it back and they would never know it was used. Live and learn but its good practice for me my truck is next but doing the factory colors but adding a clear coat to it. Since back then they didn't use it.

My advice, and this might be more for others considering this since you already did it... BUT also hopefully it will help the results on the truck too...

First and foremost, this car was NOT the one to learn on. As much as I appreciate my future value going up, it's kind of depressing. I know it's too late, but practice on low dollar cars OR even better grab some body panels from the junk yard and paint and sand over and over till you know the settings on the gun and to get the best pattern of coverage and getting the clear to lay out closer to flat....

you probably need better lighting and probably exhaust system in your garage to properly lay down any paint/clear... being able to see the reflection is key to getting it right and you can't see in low light filled with overspray. Not sure about the guns you bought, but I can't imagine they are doing you any favors on making it easy for $80 for two of them, but at least it wasn't rattle can! generic brands can still spray good, so don't get me wrong there, they might do okay.... blow out the garage with the compressor and/or a good leaf blower at LEAST a day before you plan to paint, and keep that floor WET WET WET!!! you can sand out the bumps and dimples to some degree, but the dirt is there to stay. you might not notice with that pearl effect, but it's there... If your compressor has trouble keeping up, running the whole time you are painting, you probably could use an air dryer of some sort too... even on high CFM units it's an issue, but fisheye preventer added to the clear can minimize the effects of that though...

My advice, and this might be more for others considering this since you already did it... BUT also hopefully it will help the results on the truck too...

First and foremost, this car was NOT the one to learn on. As much as I appreciate my future value going up, it's kind of depressing. I know it's too late, but practice on low dollar cars OR even better grab some body panels from the junk yard and paint and sand over and over till you know the settings on the gun and to get the best pattern of coverage and getting the clear to lay out closer to flat....

you probably need better lighting and probably exhaust system in your garage to properly lay down any paint/clear... being able to see the reflection is key to getting it right and you can't see in low light filled with overspray. Not sure about the guns you bought, but I can't imagine they are doing you any favors on making it easy for $80 for two of them, but at least it wasn't rattle can! generic brands can still spray good, so don't get me wrong there, they might do okay.... blow out the garage with the compressor and/or a good leaf blower at LEAST a day before you plan to paint, and keep that floor WET WET WET!!! you can sand out the bumps and dimples to some degree, but the dirt is there to stay. you might not notice with that pearl effect, but it's there... If your compressor has trouble keeping up, running the whole time you are painting, you probably could use an air dryer of some sort too... even on high CFM units it's an issue, but fisheye preventer added to the clear can minimize the effects of that though...

I total agree with you but the parts for these car are a dime a dozen. But trust me the paint came out nice just maybe 4 to 5 spots to fix 2 are runs and the rest was the cheap cup that was throw away that dripped a couple of times. My garage bay has 6 full length lights it can blind you and my compressor is 5hp 26 gallon 150psi and only painted one section at a time. I rather not screw the truck up parts are hard to find and really enjoy driving it more so than the shelby. Next time around, I'll go all out but the guns worked great better than the can spray that was being used.

one more thought, I don't think modern clear takes kindly to just adding more hardener, they have diff hardeners for diff ambient temps.

the compressor specs that matter in painting is how much cfm's it can flow, you want constant cool(er), dry air, not up and down pressure every time it kicks on.

not sure what you mean about painting one section at a time, looks like it wasn't masked to do it that way.

Ok my fellow members, I know you guys think my I.Q may be much lower than yours which can be true on my meds. But been around cars all my life from hanging out in my friends body shop. Went to auto tech school and worked in the field for over 10yrs plus the FBI and they just don't hire from street mechanic's and towards the end of NYPD that mess. I got to hang out at the PD repair shop made friends with the body guy he taught me the basics and let me spray over 20 cars. The shop stewart was shock at the work since the body didn't care about the paint he would paint everything white sometimes the wheels. Just to bust balls.

As far as my set up 2 inline filters and one filter on the gun also dehumidifier running 40% garage temp 74 also regulator on gun. I started with the hood let pressure build next the fenders and bumpers and so on.

I don't make a move without research read online alot of guys have cleared there stripes with no problems. So, I decided to only do half my stripes and see what happens. When, I'm done sanding and buffing you will see the finished product.

I prep the car wash it 2x with dish lotion wiped it down with wax and grease remover and wet sanded with a 1000 grit washed the car again.

Yes it's a # car but all classic cars get repainted and painted so it dosen't fear me this car isn't my life line. It would be nice if the value jumped up but only time will tell. I bought this car cause, I liked the body style.

I'm retired so time is not a problem and I can always sand the whole car down in about an hour and start spraying.

I'm not the only person on this sight the make a mod to there car so, I guess their in the same boat as me.

Wait till the car is done every car, I ever owned from SUV to coupe always get dressed by me and always got thumbs up just like my dyed seats 2 different persons want me to do there cars.

My neighbor sprayed his 67 fastback in his driveway yrs ago with a crappy compressor no filters and 20yrs later it still shines and win trophy's.

I would sell my car but 14,000 in the hole with it and I don't see the market getting better when it does she will be replaced by something else and be torn apart like the rest so they stand out in the crowd.

Good luck

There is a fine line between foolishness and boldness... :headscratch:

I'm leaning towards bold; however, time will tell :lurk:

Best of luck to you...

Ok my fellow members, I know you guys think my I.Q may be much lower than yours which can be true on my meds. But been around cars all my life from hanging out in my friends body shop. Went to auto tech school and worked in the field for over 10yrs plus the FBI and they just don't hire from street mechanic's and towards the end of NYPD that mess. I got to hang out at the PD repair shop made friends with the body guy he taught me the basics and let me spray over 20 cars. The shop stewart was shock at the work since the body didn't care about the paint he would paint everything white sometimes the wheels. Just to bust balls.

As far as my set up 2 inline filters and one filter on the gun also dehumidifier running 40% garage temp 74 also regulator on gun. I started with the hood let pressure build next the fenders and bumpers and so on.

I don't make a move without research read online alot of guys have cleared there stripes with no problems. So, I decided to only do half my stripes and see what happens. When, I'm done sanding and buffing you will see the finished product.

I prep the car wash it 2x with dish lotion wiped it down with wax and grease remover and wet sanded with a 1000 grit washed the car again.

Yes it's a # car but all classic cars get repainted and painted so it dosen't fear me this car isn't my life line. It would be nice if the value jumped up but only time will tell. I bought this car cause, I liked the body style.

I'm retired so time is not a problem and I can always sand the whole car down in about an hour and start spraying.

I'm not the only person on this sight the make a mod to there car so, I guess their in the same boat as me.

Wait till the car is done every car, I ever owned from SUV to coupe always get dressed by me and always got thumbs up just like my dyed seats 2 different persons want me to do there cars.

My neighbor sprayed his 67 fastback in his driveway yrs ago with a crappy compressor no filters and 20yrs later it still shines and win trophy's.

I would sell my car but 14,000 in the hole with it and I don't see the market getting better when it does she will be replaced by something else and be torn apart like the rest so they stand out in the crowd.

Good luck

Cant wait to see the finished product Ant......... :happy feet: :salute:

There is a fine line between foolishness and boldness... :headscratch:

I'm leaning towards bold; however, time will tell :lurk:

Best of luck to you...

My resume speaks for itself and I can't help it that more than the half of this site can't do their own work. Wet sanded the car and fixed the issues maybe next it will be painted hot pink or maybe just throw a match to it. It's only a car book value of low 20"s. I don't think hyundai would give us an even trade :hysterical:

I like you guys to debate over this and what happens if you crash your car and they don't total it. That's worse having it follow you around with a non-shelby metal and paint. But, I know if the dealer does it the metal will be specially made for the shelby!!! :hysterical:

So when one of you advice giver's can beat my car back ground and that doesn't mean owning a bunch of cars and waxing them and oil changes.

I can paint, weld , use a torch build motors & tranny's dye interior and my favorite rewiring and trouble shooting electrical and engine performance with computer diagnosis didn't have to ever do the monkey work.

Cant wait to see the finished product Ant......... :happy feet: :salute:

As alway's have to show them that ball's rule and all others are fools. I'll have a trophy at tonight's show and tomorrow !!!!

Thank you Mike!!!!

My resume speaks for itself and I can't help it that more than the half of this site can't do their own work. Wet sanded the car and fixed the issues maybe next it will be painted hot pink or maybe just throw a match to it. It's only a car book value of low 20"s. I don't think hyundai would give us an even trade :hysterical:

I like you guys to debate over this and what happens if you crash your car and they don't total it. That's worse having it follow you around with a non-shelby metal and paint. But, I know if the dealer does it the metal will be specially made for the shelby!!! :hysterical:

So when one of you advice giver's can beat my car back ground and that doesn't mean owning a bunch of cars and waxing them and oil changes.

I can paint, weld , use a torch build motors & tranny's dye interior and my favorite rewiring and trouble shooting electrical and engine performance with computer diagnosis didn't have to ever do the monkey work.

Sorry man, the resume doesn't speak nearly as loud as those pictures do. You are right, wrecked would be worse than that paint job, the difference would be you did yours on purpose.

Assuming you are talking to me about the background, since I'm the asshole that commented the most, take a look at my build thread on the jeep I'm building. 100% done by me. Enough background for you? How about the '68 in my sig? The only parts factory on it are the doors and the roof and most of the floors... again, all done by me including converting to a posi rear end and a T-5 Trans swap, inside and out restoration...

If that's not enough background, here's some more paint work I've done too.... I've been painting my own and other peoples cars for over 20 years now, and I do everything short of engine and trans internals on projects for myself. I know what it takes to have a true show quality finish, and from the looks of the reflections in your pictures, you are miles from that. Balls may rule in your book, but quality work rules in mine.

34 ford all fiberglass body, paint literally as flat as glass, I'm a picky guy, and not a flaw to be found, SEMA quality paint.

100_2469.jpg

100_2468.jpg

01 F150, not yet buffed in these pics, notice how the reflection isn't all grainy and bumpy? that's how paint SHOULD look regardless of your resume.

100_2539.jpg

100_2538.jpg

100_2374.jpg

Racer,

I am looking forward to seeing the final results.

I perfer to pay professionals to do my body work because I focus my energy on making money so I can pay people to do what I can't do. My dad always told me to focus on one thing in life and become a master at it and once your a master at a trade you will make money and then pay people to do what you are not a master of. It worked for me I make a good amount of money at doing what I do best which enables me to pay to have what I want done.

I use to be a Jack of all trades and a master of none but I was broke then.

All the power to you if it makes you happy and your like the results then thats all that matters.

Sorry man, the resume doesn't speak nearly as loud as those pictures do. You are right, wrecked would be worse than that paint job, the difference would be you did yours on purpose.

Assuming you are talking to me about the background, since I'm the asshole that commented the most, take a look at my build thread on the jeep I'm building. 100% done by me. Enough background for you? How about the '68 in my sig? The only parts factory on it are the doors and the roof and most of the floors... again, all done by me including converting to a posi rear end and a T-5 Trans swap, inside and out restoration...

If that's not enough background, here's some more paint work I've done too.... I've been painting my own and other peoples cars for over 20 years now, and I do everything short of engine and trans internals on projects for myself. I know what it takes to have a true show quality finish, and from the looks of the reflections in your pictures, you are miles from that. Balls may rule in your book, but quality work rules in mine.

34 ford all fiberglass body, paint literally as flat as glass, I'm a picky guy, and not a flaw to be found, SEMA quality paint.

100_2469.jpg

100_2468.jpg

01 F150, not yet buffed in these pics, notice how the reflection isn't all grainy and bumpy? that's how paint SHOULD look regardless of your resume.

100_2539.jpg

100_2538.jpg

100_2374.jpg

I can say the same thing about your work but, I would have waited till your done with it. When, I'm done with the wet sanding and buffing will post. They you can pass judgement, I never pass judgement till the final product is finished that is unproffesional to me and that would be like me walking in on your final spray and saying it looks like shit. Just about every paint job needs to be wet sanded and buffed before letting that vehicle go back to the owner.

I guess if you were around when carroll shelby wanted to start building cars you bash him and maybe he would have thrown in the towel and where would are Car be then just plain old stang's. I'm not upset or pissed at you or anyone else like, I said before debating is a good thing. But my reason for posting the pic's before it was done was to see who would bash me instead of sitting back for the end product. You have to remember retired cop, I always check the water before jumping in!!! As far as the car if, I screwed it up then lesson learned and will share my mistakes. So known will make them!!!

But so far half the car is wet sanded and smooth as a baby's butt but still a couple of run's. I could have rent a spray booth but you also have to remember. That, I'm not in the best health and for me to push myself to do this comes will a risk and mental my pills kill my short term memory. If, I fail at least it was tried and the car will go to my body guy but if I don't fail it's one more step towards getting back to normal. It's kind of embarassing to do an oil change and be in pain just to lay down then have to call my wife to help me back up. Then to sleep its pain killer just from that oil change. So, I root for the under dog and if you have a spray booth and welcome me to use. I will be more than happy to drive to you for your help. While, I'm stuffing my face and watching you sanding my car

Racer, I commend you for your "shadetree" approach to some of your mods. It's an approach most would not take, regardless of what skills we may or may not have. For me, it's because I paid too much for my Shelby and the idea that I could cause more harm then improvement due to a lack of proper resources (tools, materials, time) scares the "S" out of me. This is why I give you the Brass Balls award, hands down!

I've dyed interiors and and painted a few cars in a garage and I would say the most important skill I needed was patients.

I can say the same thing about your work but, I would have waited till your done with it. When, I'm done with the wet sanding and buffing will post. They you can pass judgement, I never pass judgement till the final product is finished that is unproffesional to me and that would be like me walking in on your final spray and saying it looks like shit. Just about every paint job needs to be wet sanded and buffed before letting that vehicle go back to the owner.

I guess if you were around when carroll shelby wanted to start building cars you bash him and maybe he would have thrown in the towel and where would are Car be then just plain old stang's. I'm not upset or pissed at you or anyone else like, I said before debating is a good thing. But my reason for posting the pic's before it was done was to see who would bash me instead of sitting back for the end product. You have to remember retired cop, I always check the water before jumping in!!! As far as the car if, I screwed it up then lesson learned and will share my mistakes. So known will make them!!!

But so far half the car is wet sanded and smooth as a baby's butt but still a couple of run's. I could have rent a spray booth but you also have to remember. That, I'm not in the best health and for me to push myself to do this comes will a risk and mental my pills kill my short term memory. If, I fail at least it was tried and the car will go to my body guy but if I don't fail it's one more step towards getting back to normal. It's kind of embarassing to do an oil change and be in pain just to lay down then have to call my wife to help me back up. Then to sleep its pain killer just from that oil change. So, I root for the under dog and if you have a spray booth and welcome me to use. I will be more than happy to drive to you for your help. While, I'm stuffing my face and watching you sanding my car

not sure what same thing you'd be saying about my work there...

i'm not a professional painter, i just take it seriously, almost quit college to go into it professionally, but figured it would kill the enjoyment i get from it....

no real spray booth, all work done in my pole barn, a booth helps, but clean and wet is more important and great work can come out of any garage.

good luck and wish you the best on the buffing.

Thanks EL Shelby and to me this not by far my wildest thing yes it's expensive but when your a cop or a soldier we look at life in a different way. Being a rookie cop in the bronx and getting surronded by 11 unfriendly's waiting to take my gun and I pull it out for them and say 16 shots here who's dead first. I still would have done this ever if I was broke.

Racer,

I am looking forward to seeing the final results.

I perfer to pay professionals to do my body work because I focus my energy on making money so I can pay people to do what I can't do. My dad always told me to focus on one thing in life and become a master at it and once your a master at a trade you will make money and then pay people to do what you are not a master of. It worked for me I make a good amount of money at doing what I do best which enables me to pay to have what I want done.

I use to be a Jack of all trades and a master of none but I was broke then.

All the power to you if it makes you happy and your like the results then thats all that matters.

I also agree with your father and do the same, I sux at wood work and plumbing. I guess everyone missed my resume.

not sure what same thing you'd be saying about my work there...

i'm not a professional painter, i just take it seriously, almost quit college to go into it professionally, but figured it would kill the enjoyment i get from it....

no real spray booth, all work done in my pole barn, a booth helps, but clean and wet is more important and great work can come out of any garage.

good luck and wish you the best on the buffing.

Now here we go, I wrote my resume out you haven't seen the car rubbed and waxed and you say it looks like shit and I shouldn't be painting cars are you going to tell me all my mods. Were installed wrong by me even though you never went to an training school and never worked in a dealership or repair shops and a federal garage. You don't have a spray booth so what makes your set up better than mine. I can strip a car bare with a monkey wrench but you can't because the tool makes you a better mechanic. This reminds me of this a-hole who was crying at the feds because they kicked me up to top pay meanwhile the only reason he was there was cause his uncle was an agent. He worked also in my old job but he washed cars while I fixed them. To shut him up we traded jobs he did my work and I did his a monkey can change parts. In 3 days he couldn't find a short in this car so he order a new harness. I made him take out half the harness then with my boss there went thru the back seat ash tray and wham theres a dime in the the cigeratte lighter he never said a word again.I put my shit paint job up to your sema paint any day or my wrangler jeans to your diesl jeans. This why, I got away from cars in the first place. I'm 45 yrs old be around the block a couple of more times than you. I love when the new rookie don't listen to the senior cop cause the rookie went to college. Then the poor rookie gets fired for losing a perp and I sit back and laugh my ass off.

So, I'll pack up my car with your advice and drive it over to my body guy and say can you fix my car this super experience ASE tech say my car looks like shit and I don't know what. I'm doing he uses Sema paint. All those cars I paint doesn't count for anything or my experience. Thank you Elvis

LOL, damn you ramble on a lot.

A tool doesn't make you a better anything, but it sure translates to working smarter and usually to much better results.

Bottom line, it looks like an orange peely mess. MY OPINION. I think you probably took $5k or more value away from your car by doing it. MY OPINION.

Maybe if you didn't do rattle can painting on your bumper cover I wouldn't have been predisposed to consider it a hack job, but combine that with painting over stripes when THEY SHOULD BE REMOVED before any paint work was done, and I'm going to keep thinking it's going to end up a mess in the end regardless of how much sanding and buffing you do.

But I'm sure that's because I'm a rookie.

Racer, I commend you for your "shadetree" approach to some of your mods. It's an approach most would not take, regardless of what skills we may or may not have. For me, it's because I paid too much for my Shelby and the idea that I could cause more harm then improvement due to a lack of proper resources (tools, materials, time) scares the "S" out of me. This is why I give you the Brass Balls award, hands down!

I've dyed interiors and and painted a few cars in a garage and I would say the most important skill I needed was patients.

Jason, you planning on doing some surgery for your patients!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

LOL, damn you ramble on a lot.

A tool doesn't make you a better anything, but it sure translates to working smarter and usually to much better results.

Bottom line, it looks like an orange peely mess. MY OPINION. I think you probably took $5k or more value away from your car by doing it. MY OPINION.

Maybe if you didn't do rattle can painting on your bumper cover I wouldn't have been predisposed to consider it a hack job, but combine that with painting over stripes when THEY SHOULD BE REMOVED before any paint work was done, and I'm going to keep thinking it's going to end up a mess in the end regardless of how much sanding and buffing you do.

But I'm sure that's because I'm a rookie.

Like, I said your king and should me the FOOSE, I don't those are even your cars !!! Dude I guess you missed the part about the matches. Its a ford not a BMW body parts are cheap so stick with your day job and go crunch a couple of numbers. I home retired and you may need to practice more on your quality skills. Jobs are being lost everyday !!! Maybe I can work for you you can show what life is about.

Archived