TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Suggestions for Wider Tires to Stop Wheels Spin

I'm still teaching myself how to push this car. I've been in the rev limiter @ 6400 rpm at least 5x. First gear to second the tires spin for about 40 ft (guessing...could be 60 for all I know...but it seems an eternity). I get the traction control active advisory it goes on so long. Going to third is a brief wheel spin with no advisory.

In talking with Shelby, they clearly state that the TCS, even with the tires hooked up, still robs the car of hp at higher rpm. It's doing SOMETHING that degrades power. Shelby says if you want the full monty, you gotta' turn that TCS off. Frankly, I'm afraid to do that while really getting on the car. And going from 1st to second with a pronounced wheel spin...well....I need a wider road to practice on doing it with TCS off. Second to third, at about 70-75mph, I don't think would be long enough to get the car sideways. But I need a wider road to make sure on that, too.

So the intial shot across the bow is wider tires. I was hoping to start a discussion of wider tires that people have put on their car and how much it helps the wheel spin. And that can go to an extreme, too! Reference another forum where they put slicks on the car and they broke the axle!

To me, blending the gas to keep the wheels hooked up isn't much fun. I want to go to full afterburner and hold it and have the wheels stay in reasonable contact with the ground.

Or, is there more technique involved with the gas than I am giving credit rather than just go to tires? It's probably a little bit of both.

Personal experience with tire dimensions and results of driving performance would be much appreciated!

My suggestion? TCS off and feather the throttle. That's the best you can do with the rear tires that you have on the car.

Enis is correct. No matter what tires you put on the car, you have to modulate the throttle. It is the reality of high powered cars. It is only a matter of developing your driving technique for these kinds of cars (and that is not a criticism of your driving technique). It is just that these cars are different from the cars most folks have driven. I am old enough to have run high powered cars back in the 60's so I learned all this a long time ago. But, let me tell you, the cars that were considered high powered in the 60's are low powered compared to your car. Yours is a monster and you are smart to work your way up to turning the TCS off for full power launches. It does not take much to get these cars going sideways, a little or a lot, when the TCS is off but practice is the key. Your observation of wanting to try things on a wider bit of road is the right way to do it. Sounds like you are having fun, though.

Jim

Yeah, that's what I was worried about. It's technique. Getting the muscle memory of foot pressure and the ear for shifting without being glued to the tach is going to take practice. When the wheels break loose, things happen very fast in rpm. And to get it just right....shifting each time at 5800-5900, is definitely going to take practice. And more importantly, that amount of foot pressure needed to max perform the car without breaking the tires loose or minimize the spin.

In my work, I'm used to very high performance. And realize that in the end, essentially, I'm behind the car. Not at this point. I'm reacting rather than anticipating. It will come.

I was hoping tires would be a huge fix to the problem. And then settle down on technique. The tires would help. But I think at this point, it's more me.

I just remember seeing Secondo's video of his drag race and how he seemed to accelerate fast, straight, and smooth. And figured it was his drag radials making the big difference. And knowing it might not be the whole reason.....

there also street legal drags coming up july 17th just up the road from ya . check it out autoclubspeedway.com

i know a few Team Shelby members will be there . it would also be neat way to meet some of us

there is a thread in the pacific region that Dan aka blown away started with a list of who's coming and some info on it

JIM

there also street legal drags coming up july 17th just up the road from ya . check it out autoclubspeedway.com

i know a few Team Shelby members will be there . it would also be neat way to meet some of us

there is a thread in the pacific region that Dan aka blown away started with a list of who's coming and some info on it

JIM

That's a coincidence because my wife and I were just talking this moment on fireworks for 4 july and Fontana Raceway came up. So I guess we are going there 4 july. As far as drag racing, I sure would like to know when!

I don't know about you guys but from a 10 mph roll ( 85 temp ) if i floor it the tach revs up and i have to get off it. No hook up @ all in first gear from a roll it's like i have bald tires or on ice(1000 miles on tires.) Do all KR's do this ? The car hooks up fine in the other gears.

I think this pretty much proves my point that more power for these cars is a waste as you need alot fo skill and technique to get these monsters to hook up as is. :shift:

SS's probably just sit and smoke the tires for minutes before hooking up. Frustrating I'm sure. :confused:

Thats why I said I'm willing to bet a KR is faster then a SS (either variant) 0-60mph and probably 1/4 mile

That's a coincidence because my wife and I were just talking this moment on fireworks for 4 july and Fontana Raceway came up. So I guess we are going there 4 july. As far as drag racing, I sure would like to know when!

july 17 gate open at noon racing starts @ 2pm till 10 pm go to autoclubspeedway.com all the info is there

JIM

Stickier tires will get you more than wider tires. Get sticky then get wider and you'll be happiest. You also have to keep the rear end on the ground which will require some suspension mods.

Tread wear is I think 180 on these tires. Moderate sticky.

I've been working with trying my best to keep tires right on the edge of spinning while getting on the gas as much as possible. So much pedal left keeping hooked up! Doing much better, I think. Not so far behind the car mentally at least now. But still not quite as natural as I would like.

Next phase is doing all this TCS off.

Getting wheel hop. Suspension work.

Brasil just LOST....unfriggin believable. Against the dutch of all teams. Crap.

There goes the huge party with Brasil in the finals.

17 July, I'm in Hong Kong. Won't be at the races.

I don't know about you guys but from a 10 mph roll ( 85 temp ) if i floor it the tach revs up and i have to get off it. No hook up @ all in first gear from a roll it's like i have bald tires or on ice(1000 miles on tires.) Do all KR's do this ? The car hooks up fine in the other gears.

Check your tire pressures.

I've seen others post that they have major spin with just a *little* bit of over (rated) pressure readings.

I also know that I have had NO issues with excessive spin but I've always attributed it to the altitude (Co. Springs = ~6500' ASL) and the power loss due to thin air.

I did a "Traction Control OFF" full throttle launch from a stop sign the other day. I spun the tires, but nothing *too* radical. The tire prints were smoking at the start of the launch and it spun across the intersection and just past the 1st house (I live in the second house). So that's probably.....ehh, 150 feet, if that? (50 yards).

FWIW, our streets are fairly new and are a 'rough' asphalt, not smooth and you tend to get really good traction on our streets. I have pulled off a second gear shift spin on a smooth street that surprised me (maybe about 60' of double-S marks).

So I get spin, but *nothing* even near like what I hear about from guys down at sea level....

EDIT: Oh yeah, I had maybe TWO "thumps" from wheel hop on that standing burn-out. I have had *very* little issue with wheel hop

YMMV,

Phill

You need to learn how to feather the pedal. With TCS turned off, I can spin the tires in 1st, 2nd, and third.

I just feather the pedal off the line and control the throttle going into 2nd gear. I just bang 3rd gear and i'm off.

You need to learn how to feather the pedal. With TCS turned off, I can spin the tires in 1st, 2nd, and third.

I just feather the pedal off the line and control the throttle going into 2nd gear. I just bang 3rd gear and i'm off.

That's what I've gone towards. TCS off and getting on it as much as possible by feathering the throttle to be right on the edge of the spin. Have gotten over the fear of the car and am working it very nicely and aggressively. I'm pleased but realize that there is more. Took the gardners out each individually with each from a standing start. Stayed on it through 3rd and I felt it went well each time.

Before, i was even nervous to turn off the TCS and challenge the car! So I've come a long way. I've never owned a car with this much horsepower so have been going at it as a learning excercise.

Now timing the lights on a real drag strip is a whole another story. Making everything come together with split second timing I feel is something I'll have to just get out there to do it.

I wonder if there is a xbox or PS3 or wii game that is drag racing?? At least I would get used to what to see. Those games are really something for learning.

That's what I've gone towards. TCS off and getting on it as much as possible by feathering the throttle to be right on the edge of the spin.

That's exactly what "Sport Mode" does on my 2010.

What year is yours? Do you have Sport Mode?

I *love* my Sport Mode. Especially in the corners! And you get a hell of a launch too.

I plan to eventually add the FRPP/Whipple 2.9L 750HP supercharger (with FRPP tune) to mine.

I'm not sure if the Sport Mode will still work as well with all that extra power though.

Phill

Archived