TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby GT Brake Upgrade

Hey guys, I need some help with a brake upgrade. Am I ok going with this:

http://www.brenspeed.com/86-330-01414.html

Or should I buy the Brembo's, Hawk pads, SS line, etc for about $200 more? If so, can you list the best pads for the following use:

Some track days, but most show or cruise duty. Thanks as always for the advise.

Jim

Edit- Must fit CS66 18" wheels. Thanks!

Edited by Shelby2809

I don't really know about the pads included, but I would think that set up is a good bargain, and that you can add the $200 (or so) for track only pads.

I almost bought that kit before deciding I wanted the blingy-er look of the baer 14" two peice rotors and the gt-plus calipers w/ shelby on them....

When you say brembo's are you suggesting the gt500 calipers/rotors? or just brembo rotors?

I've considered the same package as well.

With brake cooling ducts I would expect this to be more then adequate for the occasional track day, as long as you take proper care of the pads, rotors, and fluid (inspect, replace, bleed, and never use the parking brake on hot brakes.). I personally think that many of the big brake set-ups on the market are overkill and most likely add excessive unsprung weight. Having said that, the GT500 brembos are a good option with the right rotors, pads, lines, fluid, and cooling but I don't think they will fit your wheels.

I don't really know about the pads included, but I would think that set up is a good bargain, and that you can add the $200 (or so) for track only pads.

I almost bought that kit before deciding I wanted the blingy-er look of the baer 14" two peice rotors and the gt-plus calipers w/ shelby on them....

When you say brembo's are you suggesting the gt500 calipers/rotors? or just brembo rotors?

I've considered the same package as well.

With brake cooling ducts I would expect this to be more then adequate for the occasional track day, as long as you take proper care of the pads, rotors, and fluid (inspect, replace, bleed, and never use the parking brake on hot brakes.). I personally think that many of the big brake set-ups on the market are overkill and most likely add excessive unsprung weight. Having said that, the GT500 brembos are a good option with the right rotors, pads, lines, fluid, and cooling but I don't think they will fit your wheels.

I'm sorry, when I say Brembo, I mean Brembo Rotors, Hawk Pads, SS Lines, and High Temp brake fluid. The GT500 Brembo brakes won't fit my 18" CS66 wheels. I used this web site to add it all up, $926 or close to that for all items listed above.

http://www.buybrakes.com/store/BR47423

I would stick with my first thought of buying the brenspeed package and using the savings for a set of dedicated track pads and/or cooling ducts.

Might want to get more info on the included pads though, I'm just assuming they are a street pad.

Good thoughts, thanks guys, when I find out what pads they are I'll post it here.

Jim

I have a gently used (200 miles) set of Brembo slotted Sport rotors and Hawk HP+ pads if you are interested. I put them on with a set of SS lines and the difference was amazing. The only reason I changed was I got a great deal on a used set of GT500 brakes. $250 shipped for the rotors and pads.

There is some good information on the Hawk website Hawk Performance.

I have a similar setup such as you are looking at (see links in my sig). In addition, I have a set of Hawk HP Plus pads which I can install for track days. They make a very significant difference in braking power and I had no fade and saw virtually no wear after a track day - however, for the street there is lots of brake squeal.

Best of luck whichever route you take!

I have a gently used (200 miles) set of Brembo slotted Sport rotors and Hawk HP+ pads if you are interested. I put them on with a set of SS lines and the difference was amazing. The only reason I changed was I got a great deal on a used set of GT500 brakes. $250 shipped for the rotors and pads.

Front and rear pads and rotors? Thanks!

Front and rear pads and rotors? Thanks!

Just the Front Brembo rotors and front Hawk HP+ pads. I also have a set of the Hawk HP+ pads for the rear that have 200 miles on them. for another $35 I will include them. So $285 gets you as set of Front Brembo Slotted Rotors, Hawk HP+ pads, and rear HP+ pads. You can do what i did and run the hawk ceramic pads for daily use and then swap out to the hp+ for track days. Check tire rack for the rear brembo slotted rotors I think they are on sale.